Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own an XDm 3.8 Compact .40 and love it, but seriously considering a .45 also. I own a couple of full-size 1911 .45s and an Officer's Model 1911 also and shoot all of these often. Very interested in your views of the XDm Compact .45. I haven't been able to find one locally to test fire, so would appreciate insights on recoil versus the XDm Compact .40 and 1911 full size and Officer's model .45s. Info on accuracy would also be great, but I expect it's like my .40 and very accurate unless I get the first one manufactured on Monday or last one on Friday :).

Thanks for any input, advice, and insights. Want to pull the trigger on one next Friday while they are still on sale at my LGS.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I own two XDM 3.8 Compact .45 ACPs (one Black, one Bi-Tone). Both are more accurate than I am. They both seem to have less recoil (it seems more of a push to me than a snap) than my Trophy Match or Para Pro Custom 14.45. I'm not sure why, but maybe the shorter barrel lets the gas escape sooner, so it's not transmitting the full recoil of the 5 inch barrels? Standard .40 S&W seems snappy to me when I've shot my friend's pistols. I've never shot a XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, so I cannot help you with a comparison between the two calibers. I've installed PRP Ultimate Match Trigger Kits on both and I love shooting them. One of the local IDPA clubs has a monthly Compact and Revolver match, so they get plenty of exercise.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I have had my XDm 45, 3.8 Compact for over a year and I love it. Sometimes I even use it as my carry gun. I have over 1300 rounds through it, with only a couple of FTEs when it was new. Probably operator error. The recoil is not unpleasant at all. More than my 9mm Shield, but not snappy at all. The only changes I've made are the addition of Talon rubberized grips.

It is very accurate and I really like the trigger.

Don't pass up that sale. I over paid for mine at $626, but it was the only one I could find at the time. I think they are in the $560 range now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 3.8 9mm compact. My son has the 45 3.8 compact. Both super sweet! In my mind, the best carry arms there are! 45 is very pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Friends, thanks for the feedback. I'm sold. Didn't need too hard a push in that direction, but your kind comments truly helped me decide to go ahead with the purchase. I'll actually be able to get it for $540 - great deal - I paid $586 for my .40.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know I'm late to the game in this thread but I also have a XDm45 3.8 and a XDm9 3.8 both with the PRP UMT trigger kits. The 45 recoil is pleasant for a compact pistol. I have owned compact 45's in Glock as well (G30, G30sf) and can say that the XDm and Glock compacts have the same felt recoil. I have owned 1911's in the past and from what I remember the recoil of the XDm45 3.8 is less felt than the full size 1911's I owned. I believe it has to do with the more advanced recoil spring assy. of the newer polymer guns verses the dated 1911.

I hope you picked up a XDm45 3.8 at that great price. I'm sure you will be glad you did.

Since you seem to like 1911's I recommend installing the following PRP parts for an awesome trigger.
PRP Ultimate Match Target XDM Trigger Kit
XD XDm Titanium Striker Status Indicator Kit - Powder River Precision Inc.
Titanium Striker Safety

This part to make the gun a little easier to manipulate.
PRP Extended Mag Release XD XDM - Powder River Precision Inc.

This to enhance the feel and grip. I went with sand paper on my 5.25's and rubber on the 3.8's.
X-Treme Grips XDM - Powder River Precision Inc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All. Got the XDm 3.8 Compact .45 and truly glad I did. Have taken it to the range 3 times now - about 100rds each time, and truly happy with the results. Like my XDm 3.8 Compact .40, it's smooth, easy to shoot, and very easy to bring back on line for the next shot. Very accurate, much more than I'm capable of shooting, but tearing ragged holes at 5,7, &10 yards, very close shot groups at 15 yards, and I'll push on out to 25 yards during my next session with it. At 25 yards, I'm happy to keep them in the 8 ring, but on the silouette is still a positive shot for an old dude at that range. Can truly recommend this pistol to anyone looking to go to .45 without breaking their pocketbook on a pricy 1911. I've two 1911s, a Remington R1S and Sig Sauer RCS Sport. Like to shoot them as well, but I think the XDm will become my go-to for reliability and accuracy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I took my XDm45 5.25 and XDm45 3.8 to the range last Thursday and put around 200 rounds down range.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love my .45/9 compacts. Both are great, almost indistinguishable in performance and while I haven't put too many downrange out of the 500 or so though each not a single failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts