Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forewarning, I'm not very good with "gun" talk so I'll try my best at this..

I've noticed after I recently cleaned my slide that the striker indicator no longer comes out after I release the slide lock, with or without a mag loaded. The chamber indicator works fine when a round is in place, just not the striker indicator.

For the striker indicator to pop out normally now I have to hold the slide back after I release the lock with my thumb and let it go manually with my hand which has a more "gentle" lock.. It seems that when I just release the slide with my thumb it hits so hard that the striker doesnt engage. It only works on a manual slide release.. I hope I'm making sense but I'll try and get a pic/video up to detail it better.

Anyone have this issue before? It seems like it should be an easy fix as I've already put over 1000 rounds through this with no problems before, cleaned it the same way as I have previously. I'm just wondering if its something so obvious I'm missing. :confused:

fyi I'm using FrogLube as my CLP.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Have you cleaned out the striker channel? I would go beyond just a field strip to clean it and see if there is some gunk in the striker channel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you cleaned out the striker channel? I would go beyond just a field strip to clean it and see if there is some gunk in the striker channel?
Yea, clean as a whistle as well. The striker pushes in easily and pops back up with no issues, and has good resistance with the striker spring when I manually push the striker back/out. I typically do a full slide disassemble when I do my cleaning.. pop out the striker back plate, pin, springs, etc.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did you disassemble any of the frame components to clean it? When you doe release the slide "manually" and the striker indicator works properly, is the trigger pull the same?

Sounds like the disassembler is sticking or the sear does not have the proper spring pressure to engage the striker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To the above post, yes the trigger pull feels the same. But the issue seems to have been resolved.

Not sure what the actual problem was mechanically wise (either that lever or spring) but I think my problem was I put a bit too much FrogLube. I noticed some parts near the trigger and part of the slide felt "gummy" so I just put a hairdryer on the slide and frame, wiped off any extra CLP I saw, and reset everything. Now its back to normal. I have a feeling that extra Froglube was the main culprit. I'll keep you guys posted if I still see issues.

Thanks for the replies though.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
To the above post, yes the trigger pull feels the same. But the issue seems to have been resolved.

Not sure what the actual problem was mechanically wise (either that lever or spring) but I think my problem was I put a bit too much FrogLube. I noticed some parts near the trigger and part of the slide felt "gummy" so I just put a hairdryer on the slide and frame, wiped off any extra CLP I saw, and reset everything. Now its back to normal. I have a feeling that extra Froglube was the main culprit. I'll keep you guys posted if I still see issues.

Thanks for the replies though.
Uhmmm... For those of you that may have read this, it is important to know that you should NOT get any lube into the striker channel as the hydraulic forces can prevent proper striker action. So... when lubing up your gun keep ANY oil away from the striker channel, and if you have previously oiled it, do a detail strip, removing the striker retaining pin until it is just barely still held in on the top of the slide, then remove the striker and use some solvent that will remove all oil from the striker channel. You may use a slightly oily rag and wipe off the striker, then use a non-oily rag to clean it off. Any oil necessary to prevent rust will then have gone into the pours of the metal and no more is required. Also, while the striker is out, remove the small striker safety retaining pin and do the same thing to the striker safety recess and the safety itself. Be careful to not lose the small spring that is under it. You may use a bare smidgen of grease on the bottom of the spring to hold it in place as you reassemble the spring to the striker safety and put it in place, but that's it. No more should be used other than the same procedure used for the striker itself. On these parts less oil means better function so keep it clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts