Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I bought my XDM 3.8 40 is because I loved my friends XDM 4.5 40. Today was the first day we got both together at the range. I was very surprised how different they handle. The 4.5 is very forgiving and easy to keep on target. The 3.8 is way snappier, and much harder to handle when making quick follow up shots. However, I bought the 3.8 to do it all, and in that respect, is it still the best gun for that job. Even so, I've got the itch for a full size one now. If not an XDM, maybe a full sized glock 9mm (the G17 I think), or an HK 9mm full size. Or maybe its just time for a springfield GI 1911 45... Its hard to have a good day at the range with a friend, shoot some guns, and then go though the NRA museum and not get the itch...

·
Registered
408 Posts
CANT WAIT!!!!!
You are now officially part of the...something or another guys that fall in love with their firearm, give them names, clean them lovingly, and will duke it out with anyone that says an XD or XDm is anything other than wonderful.

Welcome to the club!

RJ

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The difference is totally due to the difference in weight and weight distribution. Heavy guns suck up the recoil and front weight bias helps stop the muzzle from snapping up so fast. The .40 is a powerful round, for compacts and sub-compacts it's often not the best choice for less experienced shooters. 9mm or .45 are more tolerable for those still gaining experience when shooting smaller lighter guns.

If you have the itch, scratch it all the way with a Springfield EMP in 9mm or a compact 1911 single stack in .45acp for concealed carry . If you just want a full size, you should probably get a "loaded" version of the 1911 over the GI as you will really really like it a lot better. It's a bit more $, but well worth it. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I know how you feel. I don't have a 3.8 but I have a S&W M&P .40 compact that has a 3.5" barrel. It is snappy and a real effort to shoot well.

I ordered a XD(m) 4.5 that I'm eagerly awaiting in 9mm since I wanted something that might be easier and cheaper to shoot.

I noticed after a few range sessions trying to get the M&Pc under control my old Ruger P90DC in .45 seemed to shoot a heck of a lot better than I remembered. Perhaps dealing with the compact tuned up my gun handling skills since small, light, heavy recoiling handguns are not forgiving if one gets a bit sloppy on repeatability in grip trigger pull and sight alignment. Anything you do a little bit wrong is magnified by the gun being what it is.

Btw, first post to forum, Hi!

Szumi (known as Clutch on other boards but username was taken)

·
Registered
109 Posts
To add my .02...

My wife is taking tactical training with her XD45/4", and it's been her favorite pistol of all we have.
But .45 is about twice as expensive nowadays, so I just ordered her an XDM9 in 4.5" barrel specifically to save on ammo costs while training.
I told her to consider her XD45 as it feels in her hand, and to decide whether she wanted the "same" pistol but with a barrel .2" shorter, or .5" longer.
She didn't hesitate at all, saying she wanted the longer one because it's not that much longer to make a difference carrying, and as a plus, it would have less muzzle flip.
Since she most often carries a pistol in her Galco gun purse, that extra .5" barrel doesn't make any difference at all (although, she'll likely continue to carry the XD45 as her purse gun anyway).
I carry a stainless Colt Commander often, and I also don't see that carrying the 4.5" XDM is any more difficult to conceal than a Commander except for the thickness of the XD/XDM pistol overall, and they're all very similar anyway in that regard.

I shoot (and also carry) the XD9SC and have no problem with it, but for training, I mostly use the extended mags. I'm glad she chose what she did with the XDM9/4.5" (Bi-tone ;) ) because I have a feeling that I'm going to have to borrow it some.
The 3.8" XDM is almost an inch longer than my XD9SC, and there is no equivilant XDM to the XD9SC, so if I simply want the smallest pistol of the brand, I already have it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are now officially part of the...something or another guys that fall in love with their firearm, give them names, clean them lovingly, and will duke it out with anyone that says an XD or XDm is anything other than wonderful.

Welcome to the club!

RJ
You are right my friend i am hooked!!! I absolutely love my XDM and would not trade it for anything......Well perhaps 2 XDM's :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
How'd it go?
Sorry i took so long....Well i have to say that i really love my XDM. It is by far the best .40 i have ever shot. It is a .40, and has more recoil than my 4'' xd9 and i think i can still shoot it just as good and plan to shoot with it in IDPA. It is xtremely accurate and points xtremely well. I have shot now over 600 rounds of various bullet designs,weights and manufacturers without a hickup. If i could only pick one handgun from my safe, it would be this one.I LOVE IT!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts