Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading something earlier on another forum, and some yahoo was talking about XDm’s blowing up when running hot ammo. My XDm 3.8 compact 9 has run a crazy amount of hot hand loads, as well as +P, and +P+ factory ammo with no issues whatsoever. Anyone know anything about this supposed issue?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure he has no idea what he’s talking about
This clam apparently has something to do with Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics that recently advised, "First catastrophic failure of the class. XD. This makes 20 catastrophic XD failures in just over 2 years of tracking handgun failures in classes.

I’m hoping this isn’t the case, as I really enjoy my XDm 3.8 compact 9

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this was a real problem, Springfield would have recalled the affected pistols, and or stopped selling them all together. I’m getting the feeling this guy just doesn’t like XD’s
Thanks

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I would expect there is a lot of "like" on this forum for XD/XDM pistols. Don't remember complaints about blow ups/kabooms whatever you want to call them.

There is a certain amount of XD/XDM talk on arfcom. Mostly people just asking about why they aren't more popular, if they are reliable, etc. People will jump in on both sides, some like them or even swear by them and some don't like them.

But again, I can't recall any reports of kabooms with them.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people exaggerating issues in order to support their particular viewpoint.

How many SIGs have "just fired on their own" over the years. There's been a lawsuit or three over that. How many lawsuits have you seen over XD/XDM pistols blowing up?

If you like your XD/XDM and like to shoot it then just keep shooting it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would expect there is a lot of "like" on this forum for XD/XDM pistols. Don't remember complaints about blow ups/kabooms whatever you want to call them.

There is a certain amount of XD/XDM talk on arfcom. Mostly people just asking about why they aren't more popular, if they are reliable, etc. People will jump in on both sides, some like them or even swear by them and some don't like them.

But again, I can't recall any reports of kabooms with them.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people exaggerating issues in order to support their particular viewpoint.

How many SIGs have "just fired on their own" over the years. There's been a lawsuit or three over that. How many lawsuits have you seen over XD/XDM pistols blowing up?

If you like your XD/XDM and like to shoot it then just keep shooting it.
As I will, I must say, other than my G30S, I’m not enamored by any of my other Glocks, and ultimately enjoy my Sig P220 Elite 10mm the most of all of them. As for XDm 3.8 - 9mm, I have not had a malfunction to date after many rd’s. Do I keep it clean and lubricated absolutely, am I super anal with my reloading practice’s very much so.
Thanks everyone for your input on this, I appreciate it a great deal.

Ken

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think I’ve owned more Xd variants over the years than any other handguns. I’ve never had a problem with any of them. Do I shoot thousands of rounds per year..no. Do I reload…no. Do I shoot +P ammo or hot loads… no.
I’m just an average enthusiast that goes to the range as often as I can. I clean my guns more than I shoot them. I generally shoot range ammo because it’s more affordable, and I really think these reports are bs. If this was an issue I think we’d know about it here first.

Reactions: Ibhangen

·
Registered
20,065 Posts
Don't worry about a 9mm XDm. The small frame XDm was designed around the 40sw, and later downgraded to the 9mm. no 9mm +P+ is as powerful as a full power STANDARD pressure 40sw.
Scanning Buffallo Bore's 9mm +P+, the top KE is 500 ft-lbs with 115gr bullets going 1400 ft/sec.
They list 40sw STANDARD pressure 125 gr bullet at 1425 ft/sec(564 ft-lbs) and another 140gr @ 1300ft/sec (525 ft-lbs). I have a box of Corbon Pow-R-Balls in between those 2 in weight, speed and energy.
eta: if we look at a 9mm +P+ in 124 gr., and compare it to the 125gr 40sw, the difference blows up like a Glock with an unsupported chamber. 9mm 124gr +P+ is going 1300 ft/sec and 465 ft-lbs. That's 125ft/sec and 100 ft-lbs off the 40sw pushing the same weight bullet. That is significant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't worry about a 9mm XDm. The small frame XDm was designed around the 40sw, and later downgraded to the 9mm. no 9mm +P+ is as powerful as a full power NOT +p in 40sw.
Scanning Buffallo Bore's 9mm +P+, the top KE is 500 ft-lbs with 115gr bullets going 1400 ft/sec.
They list 40sw STANDARD pressure 125 gr bullet at 1425 ft/sec(564 ft-lbs) and another 140gr @ 1300ft/sec (525 ft-lbs). I have a box of Corbon Pow-R-Balls in between those 2 in weight, speed and energy.
Thanks a lot Groo!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a xdm elite 10mm shoot a lot of underwood ammo no problems. Glocks have had problem because of the unsupported cartridge, there’s a picture of one on YouTube, don’t know if that’s true either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
RE-loader are the problem, it's my guess this was the case. They push the limits on their re-loads. Thus "HOT LOADS"

Reactions: Ibhangen
1 - 20 of 21 Posts