Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my XD9SC and took it shooting. I was consistantly shooting high at 10 yds and even more so at 25 yds (which makes sense). I had a couple of my buddies shoot it and they had the same results. I wanted to get night sights installed, so I emailed Deb at SA and told her the story. I sent the pistol to her and she replied that the technicians said that the pistol shoots 2" high at 25 yds. If they, Springfield Armory, were to put the next set of taller sights on, it would shoot 3-5" low...even with the new Trijicon sights. That was the best they could do. Accept it!

My question is, do you consider this to be acceptable? I know a 3" barrel at 25 yards isn't the most accurate thing in the world, but isn't 2" in a controlled environment too high? I'll compound the problem with my grip and muscle tension, as I experienced on the range already.

What's your thoughts? I'd really like a sanity check here.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
270 Posts
3 feet = 1 yard. So 25 yards = 75 feet. That is a LONG distance with any handgun. 2" at that distance with a 3" barrel is VERY GOOD I would say.

My guess is the gun is shooting "high" due to operator error (bad trigger control).

·
Registered
293 Posts
It was designed to be optimum from 3-15yards for close in fighting so a 2" high group at 25 yards with a subcompact is more than acceptable for a 3" fighting gun.
Try a group at 3, 7, 10 &15 yards to see what distance they're zeroed and use that as you baseline for aiming.

My Kahr PM9 is about 1" low at 25 yards but right on the money at 7-10 yards.

Now, if either of my Kimbers were to do the same thing I'd be really fuc*ing pissed :twisted:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Mines right on....nananers...lol

I would say that 2 inches at 25 yards is fine, you will be shooting center mass anyways and most shots in self defense will be under 10 yards.

I feel your frustration though as I expect a guns sights to be perfect.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey Marine,
You know the old pistol KD course point of aim point of impact is not always true ..so you are going to have to apply offset shooting for your 25 yard line...
did you notice that the manual says that it was designed as a 6'oclock shooter at 25 yards? So for you 25 yarders try the lolipop method of aiming in and see where you hit after 3 rounds ... draw a triangle like when you BZO and plot it , now you have your offset place of aim for the 25.
Semper Fi
kennyusmc1

·
Registered
71 Posts
DAMN...25 yards is a LONG way for an SC...I shoot my 4" at 35 ft and its difficult enough...Guess i'll have to find a larger range to see what 25 yards feels like.

·
Registered
595 Posts
OK SO I JUST COULDN'T RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO STATE THE OBVIOUS..........

On the average human face, 2 inches is the distance from the tip of the nose to the area (most dramaticlly cliche`d on screen and stage as where ?) BETWEEN THE EYES..... :shock: .....

So using YOUR point of aim at 25 yards, I would consider this just about BULLSEYE :!:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
reesegr said:
DAMN...25 yards is a LONG way for an SC.
It really is. I don't think one person in a thousand can even put the sights of a subcompact size pistol on a 2 inch target at 25 yards long enough to get a shot off. I'm sure someone can do the math (simple trigonometry)....or maybe there's a chart on the internet. But if you shake (and everyone does) just 1/64th of an inch I would think that would put you off target by more than 2 inches at 75 feet.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
My former dept. qualifies on a large silhouette at 25yrds. We even had to qualify with our backup/off duty on the same range. I shot a 2" S&W Model 60 38 and tho I didn't set any records, I did qualify ok. I had to aim at 9:00 to get it in the center tho.

When I first shot my XD SC 9, it shot 6" low. Turned it into SA and they put a new rear sight; said it was mismatched. No more problem. Maybe they have changed their policy on how they are fixing them now.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
C1076USMC said:
I'll compound the problem with my grip and muscle tension, as I experienced on the range already.
what do you mean by this? your grip has nothing to do with accuracy; however your grip pressure does.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The fact that a human being can consistently aim an open sight gun to keep a 2" group at 25yds, even on a rest (no ransom rest) is almost unbelievable. I'd say that if you can do that with a subcompact then you have a very accurate gun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My xd sc9mm shoots about 1 to 1/2 inch low at 7 yds. It is right on as far as windage though. Can't complain, everytime I shoot it even out to 10 yds I usually get a ragged hole about an inch or two in diameter depending on how many rds I shoot. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
After shooting with a few friends that spent a little time as Uncle Sams Misguided Children, I am no longer amazed at what Marines can do with a firearm. Nearly any firearm.

Neighbor shoots my 15 foot groupings at 15 yards, but he's a little rusty.

If you want your gun to be checked for accuracy look for a USMC sticker or tattoo around the range.

My XD shoots a little high at 25 yards also. Spot on at 10 with the 6 oclock sight picture.

P.S. I was in the Navy so I am not bragging on myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts