Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired 150 rounds today without a hitch.
First 50 were WWB 115 gr FMJ, my normal target round.
Next 50 were Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP +P. I was testing these in the SC for my personal defense round and purposefully fired them after the 50 rounds of WWB so the gun would be a little dirty. All 50 fired without a hitch. While the recoil of the +P Gold Dots was definitely a little stronger than the WWB, I felt as if they had less muzzle flip than the WWB (heavier round?) and therefore, easier to get back on target.
Last 50 again were the WWB.
So far the Gold Dots seem to be doing fine in my SC and at this point I'm confident they'll wokr my PD round, I'll fire another 50 my next time out just to be sure.
Overall my shooting is progressing, I've gone from a consistent low and left to a consistent low. Going to have to work on getting my shots up.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks for the range report on the Gold Dots. I bought several boxes of them for testing and carry use this fall. I haven't cracked them open yet but will do so soon.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Good report. I have never had a hiccup with that load in any of my XD 9s.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Question about expansion in a 3 in barrel. I just bought an XD9sc. I fired FMJs and some Gold Dots like yours. But I know Speer sells the Short Barrel GDs. From going on BoxofTruth.com it shows some HPs won't expand fully in a 3 in. Does anyone have any thoughs on this matter ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Question about expansion in a 3 in barrel. I just bought an XD9sc. I fired FMJs and some Gold Dots like yours. But I know Speer sells the Short Barrel GDs. From going on BoxofTruth.com it shows some HPs won't expand fully in a 3 in. Does anyone have any thoughs on this matter ?
Out of my SC I didn't care for the GD 124 gr when fired through four layers of denim. Short Barrel GD 124 +p were better but lagged behind ammo like Cor-Bon DPX 115 gr +p and Federal HST 147 gr +p.

In addition to reliable cycling and acceptable accuracy at self-defense distances, SD ammo must expand consistently. Need be, I would certainly carry the short barrel GD's but given a choice I'd rather have the HST 147 +p's.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's an interesting thread on the subject with respect to velocity. The author shot various 9mm SD rounds over a chrony from both 4" and 3" barrels and also compared the velocity drop between the two.
The 124 gr +P Gold Dot in a 3" barrel fired at the same velocity as the standard 124 Gold Dot in a 4" barrel. My understanding is that the bullets in both rounds are identical, so presumably, the expansion should be the same when fired at similiar velocities. The 124 gr +P Gold Dot SB was slower the the non SB +P round when fired in both 4" and 3" barrels. But in that case, the bullet is optimized for the shorter barrel, so an expansion comparison is still an open question.

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Chrono data for 9mm HST, Ranger-T, Gold Dot . . .

·
Registered
63 Posts
I carry Gold Dots but never count on expansion. It's a bonus if it happens but you're going to keep firing until the threat is over with regardless. Actually, I bought a .40 S&W caliber gun just to have something that would chamber the 165 gr. Gold Dots after reading the performance reports on the ammo and still carry it in my SIG 229 every day. Never had a failure of any kind with it and occasionally will shoot a local IPSC or IDPA match with the Gold Dots in my carry gun just for the practice. Try that some time and checkout the looks you get from the people who are shooting wimp loads.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For daily carry I use an Airweight Mod 38 S&W in a pocket holster with the Short Barrel 135+p Gold Dots. When I can wear more clothes to hide a IWB or OWB carry I use an XD9sc with the 124+p Gold Dots. From the various internet and gun magazine articles I have seen, many people have confidence that the Gold Dots are among the best of the PD loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts