Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've been able to visit this site, and even longer since posting. I took my subcompact out to the range the other day, and noticed that toward the end of my session, I started having some bizarre failures. I have to note that I was shooting the standard wwbs, and went through over 100 before I noticed any problems whatsoever.

Anyway, after doing some rapid firing, around 30 rounds in a minute I guess (2 reloads) I ran into a problem where the chamber slammed shut, but there were no more rounds in the magazine or barrel. Twice this occured, and each time I remained a bit uncertain for a few seconds, in case I had a light strike. When it came time to check the chamber, sure enough it was empty.

I was using my modified magazine, the one with the indentations milled out so it holds 12 rounds instead of 10, so I'm certain this contributed to the problem. However, the entire of my range session saw no faults even when using this altered magazine, so I'm wondering...

is it possible that I would see more failures when the pistol is very hot, than when it is cold or just during normal drills? Anyone have any other problems that seem to occur more when the pistol is hot from such rapid firing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are right-handed and were shooting with a two-handed grip, do you think that your thumb may have held down the slide release lever by accident? I still do this from time-to-time, and it reminds me to keep my thumb out of the way. I've rapid-fired my Tactical model to the where it got extremely hot (6 magazines in a row) and the heat has not caused any functioning problems in my gun. Just my $.02

·
Registered
40 Posts
First of all...no way you're going to overheat an XD. It may get hot, but it will continue to fire.
What you experienced is the slide not staying open after last round. 99% chance that you were hitting the slide release with a thumb during your "rapid firing".
Also 100 rds fired is NOT a lot of ammo.
Keep your thumb down...this should solve the problem. Many here have fired thousands without a single failure.
My XD has never malfunctioned. :wink:

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
whtvrsclvr
long time no see, take your slide off the frame. Take the frame only and then with a finger pull the slide stop up as far as it will go. Now let the slide release go.......it should smartly snap back down into position. Check the spring to see if it still has tension. This will make sure the spring is all in the right orientaion and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. If its sluggish it could be one of four things.

The area beside the locking block is dirty

spring is poped out of the proper place

spring is broken.

gunk between the frame and the slide release.

Also take a look at the mag again with the frame only push in the magazine and make sure there is good purchase between the follower and nub on the slide stop.

And last but not least Maybe you were shooting too fast having fun and your digits hit the slide stop.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have this problem with another pistol, my Mag spring wasnt strong enough to push the slide release up before the slide cycled. is nothing else works, take out your mag spring and stretch it a bit.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
qballwill said:
I have this problem with another pistol, my Mag spring wasnt strong enough to push the slide release up before the slide cycled. is nothing else works, take out your mag spring and stretch it a bit.
Just buy a new mag spring. You shouldn't stretch a spring. Doing this will weaken the spring. Ask any gunsmith worth his salt, and they will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had this exact problem with a Bar-Sto drop-in 9mm barrel. Thing would jam shut after about two clips due to overheating (barrel would expand and breech block got just a little too large for the slide). Problem went away after some selective grinding with a very fine file and a lot of breaking-in.

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts