Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am wanting to get a smaller carry pistol for carry during the warmer months (which is most of them here in Phx, AZ) but am not sure which direction to go. So, I am hoping I could get some opinions from all of you. I work in a law office and have to wear slacks and a polo/button down every day. I was thinking an XD9SC but an IWB may not work because I have to move stack of files around periodically which could cause printing. I was thinking that maybe the S&W 642 snubbie in a pocket holster would fit the bill for this. I am not really sure if I want to add another caliber to my already growing collection or if even a revolver would better suit me over the XDsc. Anyone else had any experience with the snubbie revolvers? or have any input that I may not have thought of?

·
Registered
338 Posts
CRATO:

The XD9SC is seriously chubby, considering the anorexic size of the round :D, but it does make a nice carry. (Mine's more of a grubbies gun, or for air travel, where I don't care if I get an insurance check or not.)

The 642's kinda thick across the cylinder, but otherwise is a bit smaller. IMHO, it'd conceal a little better, but the extra load (at least 10 rounds v.s. 5) may be worth the extra hassle. Downside is the big spare magazine, but if you're doing speed loaders (speedstrips hide a bit better), there's not much difference.

I usually wear a small 1911, btw. Kinda large, but not all that thick, and some of them are kinda heavy. (Springfield's EMP - in 9mm or .40 - I haven't seen the latter yet - may be a better choice than my small 1911's. Same for Para's new PDA in 9mm. They're threatening a .40....) I'm kinda big, and have no issues with printing, etc. I can hide about anything. Although I carried a 2" snubbie for a while, I can't hit the wall with it, and ended up with a 4" S&W M10HB in .38Spl for concealment. (Beat heck out of trying to carry a 6" M19, and I can hit with it.... The 1911's are OK for me, too....)

The snubbies, btw, are not any more or less accurate. We're trying to keep three shots (per BG) on the target. Two a few inches apart in a 6" circle, and one more about a foot higher. My problem is that my snubbie (an OLD Charter "Undercover" .38 ) just won't point.... (And it's not much better with the sights.)

Mostly, it's your ability to induce the gun to point about where you want it to shoot, quickly. IMHO, the longer sight radius helps a lot there, even when you're not actually using the sights.

If you still want a revolver, a 3" Chief's Special may be a better choice. Other than pocket/purse, it'll conceal about as well as the 2", and the longer barrel may be a little more helpful. The XD9SC has about the same useful sight radius, btw. (I'm too lazy to go measure it.) I find mine shoots better for me.... A full sized M&P is also a great shooter for me, and I expect that an M&PSC would be worth a look (but since this is XDTalk, I won't say that :D). A 3.5" 1911 (I've also got a 4.25" and a 5") also does a good job for me.

Real YMMV situation - the best way to go about this may be to rent something and carry it around, somehow.

I've also got an S&W CS45. Think "PPK/S, but an inch thick." It's really about the same size as an XD9SC, but as a 6+1 .45, with a very tiny spare magazine. Another air travel gun.... The barrel's about an inch long (as is the chamber), but there's a good 3" of sight radius. The first round trigger pull (it's a DA/SA) is AWFUL, and you're not really supposed to thumb the (bobbed) hammer back, but it's really a shooter....

Regards,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. I honestly would prefer something with a little longer barrel than 2-inches. I really like the 1911 platform, and it is very comfortable for me to carry, just the 3" versions tend to be a little out of my price range at the moment.

I am a pretty slender guy (6'0" and 145lbs) so carrying my fullsize 1911 or even my service XD9 would print pretty bad in my work clothes. I have been looking a lot at the XDsc but never really knew a whole lot about revolvers until this past week when I began researching. I know they say the average gunfight takes 3 shots, but having 10+1 shots in a SC would never hurt.

Would anyone say that for the size difference, that a snubbie would make a big/really noticeable difference?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I am a big fan of the 642.
I also have a g36, 9sc and I find that I carry the 642 90% of the time. I don't feel like I am under armed with 5 shots, others may disagree. The 642 dissapeares with most of my clothes. If I am wearing a cover, the g36 is my choice because it is thinner than the sc but it is still 6 +1.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
The XDSC and a J-Frame are two different animals. I much prefer to shoot the XD, but the J-Frame is much easier to conceal. In your situation, I would definitely go with the Smith.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Everybody has provided great information. I will add this to the pot. A 642, due to the cylinder diameter, is pretty noticeable in a pocket holster in slacks. I have one and if I have to wear slacks, I will carry it in a tuckable IWB holster and make sure my shirt is loose. All other times I alternate between pocket carry and IWB carry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Perhaps at your size Appendix IWB and pleated pants would be appropriate for the XD?

Folks (like me) with a paunch find that carry method a little difficult, but you should have no problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In your situation, I would definitely go with the Smith
Perhaps at your size Appendix IWB and pleated pants would be appropriate for the XD?
hmmm, and now the dilemma gets worse. :-? I wish I could say the XD Talk quote "I guess I'll just get both," but I cannot afford both right now. I do sort of like the idea of appendix carry for the SC but I am still attracted to the revolver idea. I think I am going to try to get to the local gun store this weekend that I know has both, and fondle them a little and see how I feel at that point. In the meantime, if anyone else has any other experiences, let us hear them!

·
Registered
902 Posts
FWIW: I own an M&P340 (scandium J-frame w/ft NS) and SC9 w/NS's among others. I carry the SC when I weather/clothing permits and the 340 is my gun to carry when I can't carry a gun - or hiking in bear country as unlike the 642 it will handle a full-house .357 round although your wrists will hurt for a week or more.

Crimson Trace lasergrips are incredible on the J! The 'upmarket' version has a little cushion/air pocket area to ease the kick of a 13.3 oz gun in addition to being smaller overall than their 'entry' model. If they were not so expensive they'd be worth it just for that little air pocket alone. Now I just need some sharks with laser beams on their heads and...

Back on topic: I live in a general area where there seems to be a good bit of crime involving multiple BGs. I usually keep to myself and stay aware of my surroundings, but if I'm going across town I almost always carry a semi-auto.

You could always get one and add the other later ;)

Best of luck in your quest!

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Keep in mind SA and S&W are both running promotions right now. SA will give you two free mags, and S&W is offering a $30 rebate. Not matter what you get, make sure you apply for your freebie.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I basically convinced myself/decided that eventually I want to get both. Not sure in order however (that's the tough part). Those who carry a snubbie, how do you CC them when wearing slacks? Like I mentioned earlier, I am tall and skinny and have to wear slacks every day to work. longtalltechsan mentioned earlier in the post that a revolver would be pretty hard to conceal in slacks with a pocket holster.

I know with the SC I could AIWB or even use my supertuck (not sure how well this would work out with a skinny belt).

I do a lot of mountain biking out in the mountains and the desert here in AZ and I think either a snubbie or SC would be easy enough to pack in my Camelback to have just in case.

·
Registered
338 Posts
crat0837:

You can sometimes tuck a revolver in your belt (IWB, and please use a holster) so that the cylinder resides below the belt. The result doesn't stick out enough to matter. You need to (generally) buy your pants about a size larger, to allow for a little extra width, but with the J's, you may be able to get away without that.

IMHO, an OWB holster is going to be about as "thick" with a revolver or semi, and calls for a good solid belt, too, like the Wilderness Trainers. Given the need to replace belts every once in a while, an inexpensive leather belt that's kinda thick ought to do the job for an IWB carry just fine. Holsters with two belt clips instead of one are also a good idea.

I have no idea about the pricing.... Bud's may not reflect shipping and FFL fees (I'd guess $70-ish) while your local guy is quoting (less sales tax, if any) "out the door".

My preference is to deal with a local dealer whenever possible, but I would ask him why the discrepancy. He might match the "out the door" result from Bud's, and likely wouldn't mind taking a gun out of HIS inventory....

(I don't know if I mentioned it, but I carried a 4" S&W M10HB in an IWB for years. A little bulky, but no "printing" issues in OH. When the City PD Detectives watched "Starsky & Hutch", they went nuts over the S&W M39 9mm semi, and bought a pile of them. I managed to get one from the dealer who handled that sale. $125! 'Course, that was before 1975.)

(The M39 carried about as well in an IWB, but it is actually a bit bulkier.)

Regards,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope I am not posting too much and dragging on my own dead thread :D No one else I know cares about this type of stuff so I'll just rant to you all!

I went to the local gun store tonight and messed around with the 442 and the 642 models. They felt about a million times better in my hand than I would have expected. I never even made it over to look at the XD9sc. I am going to try to shoot the 642 this weekend if I get a chance. After seeing it, I really think it would work for everything I am looking for (and I can get the SC at a later date :)). I talked to the guy about pricing. He said they cannot match online prices, especially Bud's so the lowest he could go on the 642 would be $527.xx out the door. If I go the online route, it would be $399 + free shipping + 6% tax + a $15 FFL transfer fee. This would equal out to about $450 out the door minus the $30 mail in S&W rebate offer.

So, do you think that $420 is a decent price for this revolver??

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased a 642 last week from a local dealer for 409.00 + tax. I think out the door was just under 430.00. After shopping around online by the time it was all said and done an online purchase would have been just over 400.00. I chose to spend the extra 25 bucks and support my local shop. Granted I bought mine in Warren, Ohio and where you're located they may run more locally, but I always do my best to buy from the guy locally even if it costs a few bucks more.

BTW the 642 is a great gun. I do have a tip for IWB carry. Rather than go with a Uncle Mike's IWB made for the J-Frame I use the one for medium sized auto loaders (I believe size 15 but I could be wrong on this). It makes the gun ride extremely low to the belt line and there is zero chance of printing issues. There is a bit of extra material left sticking out abouve the grip, but i tuck it over the back of the frame and into the holster. It helps with retention and does not hinder the draw at all. I'm not sure if I explained that well but if you try it you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with the gun.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
$527 OTD is a complete rip off. Honestly, if that was the best they could do, I would never spend a cent in that store. My local has 'em for $425, and that is about the norm around here.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made the purchase today of the 642 online from Buds Gun Shop. $414 was the total, plus the $15 FFL fee and then the $30 mail in rebate from Smith and Wesson....not a bad deal at all!

I am very excited for this gun! I do have a feeling that I will end up with the XD9SC before long anyways. :twisted: Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
902 Posts
FWIW: Galco makes a very inexpensive IWB holsters for the J. If one-handed reholstering is unnecessary the cheapest one is less than $30 retail IIRC. It is very thin and bit flimsy feeling at first but retains the weapon quite nicely imo, does have a tension adjustment, and works fine with or w/o a Crimson Trace LG. The way the belt clip is set up also makes it easy to remove & put back on if need be: Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

The 'J' model does not have a thumb break like the semiauto in the pic. I find that it rides high enough that the barrel is pretty much behind my belt. They have some other good stuff but it can get expensive.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You will like the 642.
I have a 442. You may be surprised at how accurate these are.
Now, get yourself some Speer Gold Dot .38 spl.+P 135gr. "Short Barrel" loads, and you`re all set!;)
Regards, Pete
P.S. Over 5 beans was WAY too high.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts