Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who has experience with both of these pistols and what the pros and cons are of them when compared to one another. I am looking for a 9mm to be an optional carry (when I want to change it up and not use my XD45C), and also just to be a cheap ammo range gun for my wife and me. I have shot the XD40SC so I know how the size of the SC feels but have not had the opportunity to shoot the SR9C. Only about a $20 difference in price so that is not a big issue. Another consideration is that the XD should be able to fit in my same IWB as my .45. Thanks for the opinions and help.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I was wondering who has experience with both of these pistols and what the pros and cons are of them when compared to one another. I am looking for a 9mm to be an optional carry (when I want to change it up and not use my XD45C), and also just to be a cheap ammo range gun for my wife and me. I have shot the XD40SC so I know how the size of the SC feels but have not had the opportunity to shoot the SR9C. Only about a $20 difference in price so that is not a big issue. Another consideration is that the XD should be able to fit in my same IWB as my .45. Thanks for the opinions and help.
Sounds like you have your answer ... Buy an XD9, and don't give the Ruger another thought.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
We have both. I carry the XD9sc and my Wife carries the SR9c.
The SR9c has a 1/2" longer barrel, about 1/2" longer OAL, and is about 3.5oz heavier. The SR9c's compact mag carries 10, as opposed to the XD9sc's 13 rounds.

The SR9c is a bit more rounded and contoured, than the XD9sc, so it's a bit easier for my Wife to carry IWB and conceal on her frame.

They both shoot very nicely. Find someone who has an SR9c and will let you fire off a few rounds, or rent one and try it for yourself. Only you can tell what works better for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The SR9c has a 1/2" longer barrel, about 1/2" longer OAL, and is about 3.5oz heavier.
I have to question this one about the weight. My friend recently purchased an SR9c and I have a XDSC 9mm. We weighed them (without magazines) and mine (XDSC) was heavier by 2.5 ounces.

Either way, the longer barrel and larger size of the SR9c took it out of contention for me. Not to mention, disassembly on the SR9c is a bit more involved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have to question this one about the weight. My friend recently purchased an SR9c and I have a XDSC 9mm. We weighed them (without magazines) and mine (XDSC) was heavier by 2.5 ounces.

Either way, the longer barrel and larger size of the SR9c took it out of contention for me. Not to mention, disassembly on the SR9c is a bit more involved.
Taken off of Wikipedia
Weight
23.4*oz SR9c
20.5 oz XD9SC

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Taken off of Wikipedia
Weight
23.4*oz SR9c
20.5 oz XD9SC
Do ya have anything on a breakdown ... Frame v Frame, Slide v Slide ?
I'd like to know the weight of at least the XD slide, or both ~~

·
Registered
734 Posts
Can't speak to the SR9C... but my wife and I each have a XD9sc and we both love them. But the decision is ultimately yours and I wouldn't suggest buying any handgun without handling and/or firing it first. See if you can get your hands on one of each (maybe rent them or find a friend who has one) and see for yourself. Then make an educated decision based on your own experience. Good luck... and let us know what *you* choose.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just contacted a friend who has the sr9c, will hopefully be able to borrow it for my next range trip. Leaning me to the Ruger is the fact that I have a Ruger P94 .40 cal (which I am contemplating selling) that I enjoy shooting and I like the idea of having a different platform (for fun) from my xd40 and xd45c. That being said, leaning me to the xd9sc is that it would be nice to have all in the same platform for familiarity (especially for my wife) and that I already have the holster for the xd45c. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Taken off of Wikipedia
Weight
23.4*oz SR9c
20.5 oz XD9SC
Seems heavy for the XD9SC, I've read it's 26oz as my G19 is 20.99 empty and the XD9SC is definitely heavier than the Glock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have owned (note past tense) Glocks, M&Ps, SR9c, and PX4 Storm...all gone now, not because of any problems, really, just was looking for something different in a poly pistol (I have several 1911s.) I now have a XDm 4.5" 9mm and a XDm 3.8" Compact 9mm, and I am very happy. (I still have a LC9 as well, and the 1911s of course.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
My XD9SC is awesome!! Thought about the Ruger......That's it! Just thought about it!
Can't bear to cheat on my XD9SC :D

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I vote XDsc. Though not "Made in America" it's battle tested, tortured and champion approved. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
it is personal preference...I hate to say it but I have an XD40SC and very seldom carry it...seems to be too bulky...Love my Kahr pm40 for carry but also love my XDM40...so what I guess I am trying to say, try both in your hands and if your buddy will let you carry his for a day try it and then decide.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The SR9c has a 1/2" longer barrel, about 1/2" longer OAL, and is about 3.5oz heavier.

Taken off of Wikipedia
Weight
23.4*oz SR9c
20.5 oz XD9SC
My info was obtained at this site, where you can punch in up to 3 pistols to compare: Genitron.com: Comparing 2 Guns|XD Sub Compact|SR9c|

I don't have a set of scales to do my own comparison. :)

IMHO, Disassembly is a bit much... along with the external safety and mag disconnect. This is supposed to be a self defense weapon, but in order to get it onto the the Commie-Fornia approved list, it needs that crud in order to be sold there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I looked at both, when it came time to buy though the xdsc9 won out for me because of the safety features without an external safety.I really like mine and was amazed at the groups I get out of an sc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts