Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my first IDPA last Sunday and I'm hooked! The SC (and I) did better than I expected. There were a few long range strings that gave me some trouble but I still feel good overall. I shot my own 145g reloads They didn't chrono but it was well above the minimum powerfloor. it knocked down the steel poppers easily while still being easy to shoot. My equipment worked flawlessly with no jams or FTFs. The Hume open top holster worked great as did the bladetech mag holder.
They put me in SSP class when I was expecting to go into ESP? Made a few procedural violations like shooting out of sequence. Everyone was real helpful and there were at least 10 other first timers. For now I'm going to continue using my carry gun while I'm learning the game, but i might have to pick me up a tactical sooner or later. If you've never tried IDPA its alot of fun.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The shooting games usually always make shooting even more fun. And now that your hooked.......here comes the equipment race:) Your allready thinking of a new gun.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Congrats on a great time! The shooting sports are VERY addictive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just shot my first one also and had the same results out of my XD9.

Plan on making the one on Wednesday night here in Dallas myself for my second one. I used my XD9 Service the first match. Am really undecided on whether to use my XD9 Sub Compact in the next match or not, but what is pushing me is that ITis is the pistol that I carry with me at night.

wganz

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I am at a point that owning a gun is boring without events like IDPA and USPSA. If you own a gun, and have not shot a match, what are you waiting for? You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I promise.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Old School said:
I am at a point that owning a gun is boring without events like IDPA and USPSA. If you own a gun, and have not shot a match, what are you waiting for? You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I promise.
+1 on that!!!

Arnisandyz, you are correct, the XD belongs in ESP division - its not double action.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point I don't think it really mattered what class I shot in, I just wanted to get some experience. I have a question for you guys...if I get an XD Tactical in 45GAP am I automatically in CDP or will I still shoot in SSP/ESP? In the IDPA rulebook it says CDP guns are 45 ACP and SSP/ESP guns are 9mm or higher? 45GAP is higher than 9mm and its not a 45ACP?

Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the 05 Rulebook...

Handguns permitted for use in this division (CDP) must:

B. Be .45 ACP caliber.

"Pistols approved for SSP may also be used in ESP and CDP
DEPENDING UPON CALIBER, even if the pistol in question has a fulllength
dust cover. However, should the pistol in question have a
modification that removes it from SSP, it must meet all other
division criteria for ESP or CDP, again depending upon caliber."

Your probably right...ESP. I guess its up to the club if GAP can play with the 45ACP. The new rules weren't written before the GAP came along, they were written while the GAP cartridge was in existance and the rules for CDP clearly say 45 ACP. If its in ESP, the GAP will be down 1 round (9+1), division capacity is 10+1. Might get a 40SW instead.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wganz said:
Am really undecided on whether to use my XD9 Sub Compact in the next match or not, but what is pushing me is that ITis is the pistol that I carry with me at night.

wganz
Thats exactly why I shot my SC vs my G17. Just starting out, I already figured I wasn't going to be too competive, there are alot of really good shooters in IDPA. So while I'm learning, I figured practical trigger time with my carry gun would great. Turns out, I shot some of the closer stages better than some guys with service/ tactical guns. The results aren't in yet (they post them on the web), but I would guess I'd be in the middle of the pack, which is pretty good for me, (at least I know I'm not dead last)!

As a side note, I was in a group that had a large amount of 1911s, almost the same amount of Glocks, and a few Sigs. Seemed like the 1911s had more jams and FTFs than any of the others. Not saying the 1911 isn't reliable, just my observation that one day.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
In a Safety Officer class a couple of weeks ago, our Area Coordinator affirmed that .45 GAP is a SSP/ESP caliber, only .45ACP is permitted in CDP.

SA does make .45 ACP guns, and they are allowed in CDP (and ESP, for that matter.)

BTW, one of the idiosyncrasies of the new rules is that Glock 21s and 30s, in stock condition, may be shot in SSP, ESP and CDP!! Of course, so can any other SSP qualified pistol which happpens to be chambered in .45ACP (some H&Ks and EAA/Tanfoglios, for example)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I shot my second IDPA match on Sunday with my XD40SC. I didn't feel that the SC was at too much of a disadvantage, though I plan to get a XD40 Tactical as I feel the longer barrrel and sight radius will help my old eyes. The extra magazine capacity wouldn't hurt either.

After the first match I sent the slide off to Ajames and had a set of Truglo Tritium Fiber Optic sights installed. I think they helped me a great deal.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
If the 45 gap was allowed in CDP, you would still only be able to load to the division max of 8 + 1.

In ESP, 11rds vs 10rds in the pistol should never be a factor in a well designed (realistic) IDPA stage.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did better (more consistent) at the IDPA shoot put on by a different club yesterday. Placed First in ESP Division (single action autos) and 7th overall with my little subcompact. Competition was a lot easier though, maybe 7 new people out of 30. Still, its nice to out-shoot people with tricked out (as much a the rules allow) 1911s and Service sized Glocks with a stock subcompact.
At first I thought I would be at a major disadvantage using a 3" gun, but I think its actually quicker and easier to draw and point at the closer distances. i'm also learning the game better like the Vickers count, so on the longer range targets I take a second and send a few more rounds down just in case! XD performed flawlessly again with 0 malfunctions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts