Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid noob question. I'm new to conceal carry and wondering if +p is safe to shoot out of my xd 9 sub?

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Stupid noob question. I'm new to conceal carry and wondering if +p is safe to shoot out of my xd 9 sub?
Welcome to the forum!

The short answer is, "yes", I currently use GDHP 124g +p for my carry ammo in my XD9SC.

One of the real ballistics guys will jump in and explain why, but it has to do with Croatian pressure specs being higher than SAAMI specs, so it shouldn't go kaboom.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Truth. Yes, it is safe to do so. I've put hundreds of them through mine, nary an issue. Namely, Speer Gold Dots, Federal HSTs, and Hornady Critical Duty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Sure, it'll eat +p all day. However, you might want to look at something like Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. JHP regular pressure ammo. It kicks a lot less and the ballistics are close to being the same.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here is even more of a noob question. cause I'm completely new to the cc and taking a class in 2 weeks....

What is the +p and also why do so many people go with the .380 or .380+p?? which from what I understand is a scaled down 9mm?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
+p is essentially a higher pressure round. You get more muzzle velocity at the expense of more kick. Unlike +p+. there are SAAMI specs for this load.

A lot of people are carrying the .380 for more easily concealable gun, lighter weight, and less recoil. However, when the guns get really small, the recoil may actually be more than a larger 9mm. With the right ammo, it's a viable defense round (flame suit on). IMO, the jury is still out on FMJ vs JHP in the .380.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here is even more of a noob question. cause I'm completely new to the cc and taking a class in 2 weeks....

What is the +p and also why do so many people go with the .380 or .380+p?? which from what I understand is a scaled down 9mm?
+P ammo is 10% over standard pressure, most firearms are rated for it.
Short article: Overpressure ammunition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the 380, lots of folks like lower recoil and small little guns that are available in that caliber. Newer guns like the excellent Ruger LC9 and Smith & Wesson Shield offer small pkg in 9mm Luger, a much more effective cartridge. If you want to know more about the 380, here is an article: New Life for the .380 ACP | Shooting Illustrated

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Adding that since MOST 380's are direct blow-back operated it's not unusual for them to have MORE felt recoil than 9mm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts