Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase my first handgun and have selected the XD9 Tactical. I'd really like to participate in either IDPA or USPSA competitive shooting.

In looking through ammo catalogs I see many combinations of bullet wgt/bullet style/muzzle velocity/muzzle energy. How do you go about narrowing down your choices. I assume a lower muzzle energy will produce less recoil but how does bullet weight and velocity play into the equation?

Confused,

·
Registered
688 Posts
Many USPSA shooters use WWB 115's. It makes PF just fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the PF thing. From an accuracy standpoint, does your choice of wgt, velocity and energy make much difference?

In 'general' a lighter bullet will have higher velocity and energy. Is lighter better or worse?

Or should I not care and just shoot! I just want to know what trade-offs if any I am making in ammo selection.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I prefer the 147 gr bullet and use the Federal American Eagle 147gr FMJ Flat Point for factory ammo. For reloading I use West Coast 147gr. A minimum power factor of 125 is required in IDPA ESP, and USPSA Production Divisions. The factory American Eagle 147gr produces about 141 PF.
I pay around $9.00/box of 50 for the American Eagle. WWB and others may be less costly.
Buy a box of several brands and check to see if the POI is where you aim at 11 yards. POI can vary as much as several inches between brands/weights and since in competition shooting steel poppers and plates are usually around 33' distance, POI is very important.

Welcome to competition shooting sports. The equipment requirements in IDPA and USPSA Production Division are pretty much the same and you can use the same gear and shoot both sports without a spendy investment.
Happy Shooting! :D :D

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have started using Geco. $109/case +shipping from Whittakers in Kentucky. It's a 124 gr load that has a nice soft push to it and still has enough oomph and relatively flat trajectyory to get those steel poppers that are out there a ways.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It all depends on what works in your gun. To me the most important factors are reliability and accuracy. 9mm doesn't recoil much in my hands so that is unimportant to me. Also I have never had any problems dropping steel targets with a 9mm so that matters not to me either. For outdoor competition I use Geco 124gr FMJ and indoors I use American Eagle 124gr FMJ.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I shot an IDPA match today, and as usual, I used Blazer ammo from Academy for $3.81 a box. I've run about about 1000 rounds thru it, and I'm still waiting on my first FTF or FTE. Makes holes fine, and knocks down everything I've shot at it. I'd save the over-analysis for later, when I've shot a lot.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the great info. Gives me a good starting point. It seems the general consensus is to use something heavier than 115g.

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 on the WWB 115 FMJ. However, I use Blazer aluminum 230 gr FMJ for my .45 and it has performed flawlessly. I may start using the Blazer aluminum for my XD as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WWB, Blazer and UMC are all relatively cheap and good plinking ammo. All of them perform flawlessly in my xd40. Just go with whats cheaper. Long range shooting with a rifle the grain and velocity may make a difference. A piston from short ranges the difference is negligable.

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot both USPSA,IDPA and PPC. I used to use mainly WWB 115 grain FMJ, but lately been shooting alot of Sellier & Bellot (115 Grain)

Truth be told the gun and ammo is still more accurate than i am at this point and i haven't noticed any real difference though i personally seem to be doing better with the S&B. That could just be me thoughI shoot 2 XD9 Tacticals and both perform the same. Stock out of the box

Regards

Noxio

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
+1 for the WWB, My wife started shooting with me in USPSA comp so I bought her a 4 inch XD in 9mm. We buy 1000 rounds of WWB for like $120.00 give or take a few. All poppers are supposed to be set to react with the minimum allowable power factor (125) and if I remember right, the WWB I chrono'd in her gun was around 130 (the higher the power factor, the higher the recoil). You can calculate your power factor by the following formula. Bullet weight x velocity / 1000 = PF

Blazer from what I have heard is quite a bit hotter, I have not tested it myself. I shoot .40 and reload so I can keep my power factor around 170, Major power factor has to be at least 165. Most .40 factory ammo calculates to 175-180.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i shot my last match with 147 grain cor-bon performance match ammo. Muzzle Velocity: 900 fps and Muzzle Energy: 264 ft. lbs. it shoots very soft and knocks down the steel just fine. this ammo was made for idpa and uspsa guys. i will be using this ammo at every match from now on i love it! best place to order it is www.ammunitiontogo.com. they sell it cheaper than anywhere else. the power factor is around 132. just get what shoots good in your gun cause the ammo and gun will out shoot you cause mine does lol. dont get to wrapped up in all the tech side of it just have fun, shoot alot and your skills will improve. for example the last match i went to a guy shooting limited won the whole match, shooting better than the open guys. so that told me its not so much the equipment its the person operating the equipment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts