Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well with "Old Eyes" I couldn't come up with a better way to try and "Shoot Fast & Accurate" so.............Here's my solution.

XD9 with PRP Competition Trigger kit and A Leupold "Delta Point" Red Dot.

Works for me..........

Tactical Rico:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sight picture for both BUIS and RED DOT is poa/poi......

The BUIS are "suppressor sights" (taller than normal) so the RED DOT is sitting right on top of the front sight when properly aligned.

The great part is you don't have to even look at the BUIS .......

Just put the RED DOT where you want the bullet to go and break the
shot. It doesn't matter where in the window the RED DOT appears just put it on the spot you want to hit and pull the trigger. It takes some getting used to (which is why I wanted the BUIS in their normal postions) but it is way fast once you realize you can focus on the target and not the sights (using both eyes).

I've discovered that the placement of the rear BUIS isn't as critical to learning as I'd originally thought. You can have it in front of the RED DOT or behind in and it doesn't really matter. You just have to get used to looking at the target and using both eyes. The RED DOT does the rest.

TR:cool:

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Who machined your slide ?

·
Registered
464 Posts
sweet set up.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Can we get a shot from the top of the slide and also, who did the work?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David Bowie at Bowie Tactical Concepts did the work. I sent the slide and RED DOT to him and he sent it back with RED DOT milled into slide and BUIS installed.

Just so you'll know, he won't do this set up (rear sight in rear position) on an XD anymore. Apparently there are parts in the slide that are in conflict with the mounting screws so one had to be shorter than the other and the milling process was a b#tch.......He will put rear sight in front of RED DOT on all future XD's. Not an issue IMO.
Here's a link to his site Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page

I'll try to take a pic of the slide from "overhead" as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Very cool. I have a Burris Fast Fire lying around doing nothing Id like to mount on one of my csrry guns, HK USP or XD45 compact maybe. M&P has the same slide internal issues so I can't put it on that

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rykko:

Go to Bowie's website (see link in above post) and check out the magazine article (Custom Combat Handguns Mag) and you'll see how he does the M&P's.

Give him a call if your really interested, he is VERY helpful.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Thanks for the info and link.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just so you'll know, he won't do this set up (rear sight in rear position) on an XD anymore. Apparently there are parts in the slide that are in conflict with the mounting screws so one had to be shorter than the other and the milling process was a b#tch.......He will put rear sight in front of RED DOT on all future XD's. Not an issue IMO.
Here's a link to his site Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page

I'll try to take a pic of the slide from "overhead" as soon as I get a chance.

I like your way better...:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ih8unot:

There is another outfit that does this work (milling for RED DOT) but they are a little more expensive. One Sourse Tactical (part of Suarez International) also does XD's and their website shows BUIS on rear of slide. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/tsdcombatsystems.com.aspx

Their system is called the TSD Combat system and the Glock seems to be their pistol of choice. I have seen advertisements for the XD in the past.
I don't have any personal experience with them.......

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Am I correct in thinking the red dot and the iron sights cowitness ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
mbquimby:

Yes the BUIS (back up iron sights) co-witness with the RED DOT, however they, BUIS, are there for two reason........

They allow you to "confirm" your sight picture while learning how to use the RED DOT. Once you get used to looking at the target and just putting the RED DOT where you want the bullet to go, then the BUIS become redundant. Unless the RED DOT fails, Then you have the BUIS to use for "normal sight picture" shooting, hence the name, BUIS.

By the way the battery "reportedly" will power the RED DOT (even in constant on) for a year........I'll let you know about that after a year.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Ih8unot:

There is another outfit that does this work (milling for RED DOT) but they are a little more expensive. One Sourse Tactical (part of Suarez International) also does XD's and their website shows BUIS on rear of slide. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/tsdcombatsystems.com.aspx

Their system is called the TSD Combat system and the Glock seems to be their pistol of choice. I have seen advertisements for the XD in the past.
I don't have any personal experience with them.......

News from Gabe yesterday was that TSD will not be producing any of the complete XD / XDm RMR complete slides like he is doing with the Glock 17 and 19.

I personally have one of the TSD 17 complete slides and it shoots like a dream.
He also has developed a new Aqua Terra Coating on his slides that are more durable than Np3.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a Leupold DeltaPoint on my XD(m) 4.5. I'm confused as to getting it mounted though.

This thread seems to to suggest that their are limited sources of armorers who can properly mount the optic to the slide - Bowie Tactical and One Source Tactical (though apparently the TSD option is no longer an option?).

Leupold seems to include a mounting system which is compatible with the XD(m). What can't any competent armorer (or even myself for that matter...seems like it would be plug n' play) mount the optic to the slide? :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leupold does include a mounting platform for the Deltapoint to mount to your XDm. It is a mount that fits into your rear sight dovetail.
The method of mounting that I had done and that most are discussing is where the slide is milled so the sight sits lower "in" the slide instead of on top of it. This also allows for BUIS to be installed that co-witness with the Red Dot. Mounting it above the slide makes it too far above the bore for BUIS.....

By the way, I'm selling the XD in the original post due to circumstances beyond my control. If any of you know of anyone interested let me know. I need $1650.00 for the pistol and sight. I have some accessories as well......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts