Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lurking here led to my decision to get an XD. Just got my XD9 Tac today and after giving it a once-over clean and lube gave it a 150 round road test. This is my first "plastic gun." I like it. It fits my hand like a 1911. It's better looking than a Glock. Field stripping is easy and similar to a SIG. The trigger feel reminds me a little of a Browning High Power, but that slight "grittiness" might be b/c it's new.

The gun looks cool-- the 5" barrel makes it look nicely 1911ish. The word, "TACTICAL" in all caps on the left side rear of the slide might be a little embarrassing as the years go on, but it's not glaringly obvious.

It ate 150 rounds of Blazer aluminum case FMJ with no problems at all. Both mags from SA worked well as did the SA XD mag I got from Cheaper Than Dirt.

It shot pretty much to point of aim, maybe just a little bit higher, but we're talking maybe 1/2" at most above the front sight dot at 7 yds.

Here's a 7 yd 5 shot group--

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Niiiiicccccce!!!. Welcome to the show and enjoy that new addition.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice grouping! I've got the 40 Service and couldn't be happier with it . . . although I've only had it for a couple of weeks. My 7 yd shots seem to be a bit more spread out though - must be the gun. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I think that is a fine group at 7 yards. I know that some are looking for similar results at 25 yards. If someone can shoot 5 rounds in a 2.5" group at 25 YARDS with the XD, I'd like to see pictures (even video).

I have seen one many come close, maybe a 4" spread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old School said:
I think that is a fine group at 7 yards. I know that some are looking for similar results at 25 yards. If someone can shoot 5 rounds in a 2.5" group at 25 YARDS with the XD, I'd like to see pictures (even video).

Thanks to all for the compliments on the grouping. The 5" barrel helps a lot, so I don't feel like I can take the credit for just holding still behind it. I'll try 25 yds eventually, but will have to work my way out gradually probably. I know it'll be fun practicing, tho. I never thought the XD would be as much fun as it is.

The other part of my first "range test" is going on right now-- I didn't clean the XD after I got back from the range. I'm letting it sit for 24 hours to see if rust starts like some have had. After 12 hours it was still looking OK, no signs of rust.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
The XD is a great gun. As for cleaning, I do it every 1000 rounds or before a match, which ever comes first. I have never had an issue with rust. It's just a rumor. 8) :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Old School said:

Here's a picture of a 2.25" five shot group from an XD-9 Tactical.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/Rotnguns/groupxd9tac.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts