Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a XD9 Tactical to shoot USPSA Production and IDPA. My question is what recommendations to get this pistol to get this pistol prepared for competition? Upgrade sites and if so, to what, Bomar, Fiber optic, Guide Rod, Trigger job, etc? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
You can start by visiting our sponsors web site. They are all offer great service and awesome products.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the HS/XD funhouse.
Feel your gun out before doing any mods to it. Put a couple thousand rounds through it a get it broke in. This especially helps the trigger smooth out. If it works for you in its "stock" condition, keep it that way until something needs replacing.
Having said that, I would recommend the fiber optic front sight for competition shooting.
The Tactical already has a full length one piece guide rod. It will work fine. Don's solid guide rod will add a little weight to the front end but it may or may not benefit your shooting with the Tactical. I have one and it works fine, but I haven't noticed any difference in my .40 Tactical. I will clarify that in that I shoot minor PF loads for competion in both IDPA ESP and IPSC Production Division.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been using my xd9 4" for competition, the only mods are dawson fiber front sight and some skate tape on the grip (home depot). Easy to get interested in trigger jobs and other more intensive modifications, but I figure my human factor needs to get up to a higher level before i go there.... have fun!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My own XD9 Tactical shot about 5" above the point of aim at 50', and sadly, would only group in the 4-5" range as well. My other 4 XDs all shot much better than this so I knew this wasn't typical.

I put the rear sight from one of my Service 9s (after putting night sights on the Service), and now it hits 1.5" above the front sight at 50' which is perfect in my opinion. I think the grouping problem was due to machine chatter marks in the bore. I got a semi-drop in barrel from BarSto, which dropped in without mod, but is TIGHT. My last 10 shot group at 50' put eight of the 10 shots into 0.8" (one ragged hole) so it was a HUGE improvement; the two fliers (human caused) still had the group under 2". I believe this will improve with barrel break-in; it has less than 100 rounds through it so far.

The triggers improve with use. I don't plan to make any other improvements at this time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm using an XD40 Service for IDPA. I've installed DP Adj. FO sites, spring/rod combo, ext. mag release button and a trigger job by Canyon Creek. I purchased all the parts from www.pistol-gear.com, they help sponsor the board, so give them your business. BTW, a trigger job is a must IMHO, it really is worth twice the price! 8)

I'm thinking about getting and XD9 Tactical, not just for IDPA, but for some USPSA stuff. I currenlty have a G34 (prod) and G35 (Limited) for USPSA, but I really like the XD and "I just want one" :) I'll probably turn my G34 into an Open gun and use the XD Tactical, when I get it, for Production. Just keep in mind, for IDPA, the only class you can use the XD in is ESP due to it be dubbed "single action". HOwever, that is another thread in itself. :roll:

·
Registered
59 Posts
32Special said:
My own XD9 Tactical shot about 5" above the point of aim at 50', and sadly, would only group in the 4-5" range as well. My other 4 XDs all shot much better than this so I knew this wasn't typical.

I put the rear sight from one of my Service 9s (after putting night sights on the Service), and now it hits 1.5" above the front sight at 50' which is perfect in my opinion. I think the grouping problem was due to machine chatter marks in the bore. I got a semi-drop in barrel from BarSto, which dropped in without mod, but is TIGHT. My last 10 shot group at 50' put eight of the 10 shots into 0.8" (one ragged hole) so it was a HUGE improvement; the two fliers (human caused) still had the group under 2". I believe this will improve with barrel break-in; it has less than 100 rounds through it so far.

The triggers improve with use. I don't plan to make any other improvements at this time.
If you want to send it back, I think they should fix that for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did contact SA about the problem which I detailed in an earlier post. My barrel had pretty obvious machining chatter marks. The tech they had me talk to said "he didn't believe" I had a bad barrel, but if I wanted to risk paying the shipping both ways they would look at it. If they then "agreed" the barrel was defective, they would reimburse my shipping. I wasn't impressed with their attitude, so rather than risk $60 shipping just to be told everything was within spec, I decided to put that money towards a solution I felt sure would solve the accuracy problem. I also asked them what they would charge me to upgrade to a BarSto barrel, was quoted $250 plus shipping both ways for the gun. BarSto delivered the same barrel to my door for $214 including shipping within a week after the order was placed.

Other people have posted good experience with SA customer service, but I certainly wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Last year I shoot IDPA SSP with an out of the box XD9. A good choice of holster and lots of practice will propably get you farther than customizing the XD.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
tank69 said:
Rifleman said:
Is my XD40 USPSA Production "legal" with Don's guide rod and an extended mag release installed? :?
yep
Not so sure about the extended mag release:
USPSA Rule Book Jan 2004
Appendix D9, US Production Division
Page 98
21.3: External modifications other than sights not allowed.

It would be OK for Limited 10 Division.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Here is a reply posted 3/8/05 from John Amidon in the USPSA NROI Rulings:
Interpretation:

US Appendix D9 Production Division 21.5 "External modifications other than sights not allowed." This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun. Exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun from the same manufacturer is allowed, providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria. The following original manufacturer parts may be exchanged: Extended mag release, extended slide stop and external safeties including ambidextrious, provided they stay within the intent of the division. No added weights, no mag well attachments, no thumb rest or external devices used to help reduce recoil and/or muzzle flip may be exchanged.

So it looks like unless an approved gun comes with them installed, or offered as a Factory option, they can't be used in Production Division.

My opinion as a RO/MD is that since SA does offer the Extended Mag Release as an option through the Custom Shop, and I presume the XD could be ordered from SA with it installed, I don't see any problem with it being used in USPSA Production Division. This is the same justification that has allowed them to be used on Glocks and Berettas. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are some rules that also apply regarding IDPA that you should be aware of. With an XD you should be in the ESP division. One purpose of IDPA is to avoid heavy customization and make the competition about the shooter and not the equipment.

First a couple of things not allowed in any division:

B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes,
but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods,
brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

D. Sights of non-standard configuration (i.e. Ghost rings, Bo-
Mar rib, etc.).

A couple of items specific to the ESP division.

ALLOWED MODIFICATIONS:

9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in
diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no
heavier than common steel

NOT ALLOWED:

2. Oversize diameter magazine release buttons.

3. Trigger shoes.

For a full list of allowed and not allowed mods try www.idpa.com. Good luck.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have also debated about a mag release ext. The above statement "providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts" Scares me. Does that mean a Barstow ext release is not allowed because it's not OEM ? I am attending a RO class next weekend and will try to clarify. I have signed up for several level 2 & 3 matches this year and don't want any issues.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I'm not sure who makes the one SA has, might well be Barsto since they also provide the barrels for SA custom shop. Heck as far as that goes, SA doesn't actually make a darn thing for the XD that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
688 Posts
R Dub said:
I'm not sure who makes the one SA has, might well be Barsto since they also provide the barrels for SA custom shop. Heck as far as that goes, SA doesn't actually make a darn thing for the XD that I'm aware of.
OK Bob, I'm sure you wouldn't stear this Bob and future RO wrong. I am going to Barstow's sight and ordering my ext mag release. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Since SA offers it on the web site, and based on Amidon's clarification, I think it meets the criteria.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IPSC's Production Division is a dog's breakfast of "rules". It would have been so simple to just make one rule...all pistols must have a 5lb trigger. Period. Who cares if it's SA, DA, TDA or pump action (like most 1911's :lol: ). At least my poor XD40 wouldn't have been banned. :(
I look forward to shooting my XD in USPSA Production this year! 8)
Just had it approved by the ATF for importation into the US. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts