Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody-

My name is Dan and I am from Indianapolis, IN

I have a new XD-9 Sub and want to upgrade it. I am farly new to pistols..this is only my second gun in is what I am sure will be an expanding collection.

I have purchased the SA 15 round mag with grip extension and that is about it...besides 200 rounds of Ranger HP's :D

I have done some research and I am considering a few things that I wanted to run by you guys with experience before I purchase.

-Tritium Night sights-This gun is used for CC and I work late shifts from 10PM and later...so I thought this might be a good idea. Not sure if my front sight should be different color than my rear???

-Lightened trigger pull (4-4.5lb) I do a ton of range shooting and feel that this may improve my shooting...plust just plain be easier on my trigger finger.

-Polished feed ramp...I have had 0 jams/stovepipes.FTF's...or whatever but I keep hearing that everyone has their feed ramps polished.

-Internally lightened slide-I do carry daily and nightly so lighter is better...not sure about this much though...if it even makes much of a diference.

These are the things that I am thinking about. Please tell me why these things would or wouldnt be good ideas.

Please also feel free to recommend other things that are not listed.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you get night sights, get the Meps. they are much brighter than the Trijicon.

Most get all green. The green sights are brighter than the yellow and orange front sights.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
DJDan said:
-Internally lightened slide-I do carry daily and nightly so lighter is better...not sure about this much though...if it even makes much of a diference.

I have never heard of this. I can't imagine you could do much to make any noticeable difference. The gun is only 20 ounces or so. Take metal off the slide and kiss your warranty goodbye.

Most of what you asked about is personal preference stuff.

I happen to like the gun just stock. IMO the XD Sub is a perfect self defense gun just as it is.

I thought I wanted a trigger job and night sights when I first got my Sub9. That was last November. Now I'm glad I left it alone. (And put the money toward other guns...more suitable/fun for target shooting). :D

Polishing the ramp? See if you have any feed problems before you fix something that ain't broke. Keep your gun clean and lubricated and it will probably continue to be 100% reliable.

Just my $.02

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You don't want to lighten your slide. The slide is that weight for a reason. If you start jacking with the weight, you could seriously mess up the dependability.

·
Registered
298 Posts
pierce grip extensions

mepro sights (I got a green front and orange rears)

I assume you got a SUB to carry...if your using it primarily as your carry gun do NOT lighten the trigger (safety and legal reasons) , do not lighten the slide (dependability). With the money you save by not doing these mods get a refinish job as this is probably the single greatest weakness in the XD package. many do not have a problem with the finish, but many do.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You can polish the feed ramp yourself.

I don't use night sights anymore, and I wouldn't lighten the sub-compact's slide because you can't adjust the recoil spring weight if you need to.

Out of your list, the next thing I would get is the trigger job to shorten the overtravel and reset. The trigger pull is relatively light already, but I wouldn't drop it down past 4 to 4.5 pounds.

Another thing to consider is getting your metal parts refinished.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Dan,

Go over to PopGuns and rent a Kimber Ultra Carry. 3" .45. It's about the same size as the subcompact and same weight. I alternate between my sub and Kimber. I never notice the weight of the guns. A good holster will distribute the weight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DJDan said:
Hello Everybody-

My name is Dan and I am from Indianapolis, IN

I have a new XD-9 Sub and want to upgrade it. I am farly new to pistols..this is only my second gun in is what I am sure will be an expanding collection.

I have purchased the SA 15 round mag with grip extension and that is about it...besides 200 rounds of Ranger HP's :D

I have done some research and I am considering a few things that I wanted to run by you guys with experience before I purchase.

-Tritium Night sights-This gun is used for CC and I work late shifts from 10PM and later...so I thought this might be a good idea. Not sure if my front sight should be different color than my rear???

-Lightened trigger pull (4-4.5lb) I do a ton of range shooting and feel that this may improve my shooting...plust just plain be easier on my trigger finger.

-Polished feed ramp...I have had 0 jams/stovepipes.FTF's...or whatever but I keep hearing that everyone has their feed ramps polished.

These are the things that I am thinking about. Please tell me why these things would or wouldnt be good ideas.

Please also feel free to recommend other things that are not listed.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and suggestions.
DJ-

If you find anyone in Indy with the Meps for the XD-9 Sub, let me know...I need them on mine!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright... I purchased a few things from Pistol-Gear today.

-3 SA .40 Cal. Mags (so I can hold 13 rounds w/out having the HUGE extended deal)
-3 Pierce Grip Extensions
-1 Bottle of Gun Butter...many of you seem to dig this stuff.
-1 "Super Thumb Speed Loader

I want to look into the Meps (IS MEPS SHORT FOR SOMETHING?)night sights but don't know where to go for them...can someone point me in a good direction?

SOLD-I will be getting rid of my 3 almost new (less than 70 rounds through each) 10 round SA mags for the sub compact 9mm...I will take $20 shipped for each or $55 shipped for all three.
:) If anyone wants them let me know..if you would like to check my Ebay feedback you can look me up.
My Ebay name is jaxthepanther
My email for paypal is [email protected]

Please PM ro direct email me before you pay so I can hold for you...thanks.

I don't know what I was thinking about lightening the slide??? I would ONLY do that if I had a service model...but I wasnt thinking.

I have decided I am going to have Canyon Creek do a trigger job on it and install the new sights as well if I can find some Meps @ a good price.
Everyone seems to be pretty darned happy with their work and turnaround time.

Thanks and keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sent my slide off today to James. I chose the Mepro green/orange sights. From my understanding the orange is in the back and the green up front.
Is there any reason I would want to go all green instead? I really like the idea of different colors in front/back. I am trying to think of low light/high stress situations where I would need to sight quickly and accurately.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is a really good holster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts