Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new Sub Compact last month. It came in a cardboard box with a zip up pouch and just one mag, an extended 10rd. I picked up a 16rd mag at the store. On Memorial Day I found a sale at Palmetto Armory. They had new 16rd mags for $9.99 each. I got 4.
Does S.A. still make the flush fit 10rd mag? I may get one for the shorter size though I prefer the extended mags. I've had one in the past and shot it as well as any full sized pistol.
Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
I picked up a new Sub Compact last month. It came in a cardboard box with a zip up pouch and just one mag, an extended 10rd. I picked up a 16rd mag at the store. On Memorial Day I found a sale at Palmetto Armory. They had new 16rd mags for $9.99 each. I got 4.
Does S.A. still make the flush fit 10rd mag? I may get one for the shorter size though I prefer the extended mags. I've had one in the past and shot it as well as any full sized pistol.
Thanks
Sounds like your in a free state. Try and trade or sell your restricted capacity magazine's and get regular capacity magazine's. The flush fit mags hold 13rounds plus 1 in the pipe gives you 14rounds in a pretty small package. I'm with you on shooting these xd frame's, I can shoot them better than most full size guns. Plop

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yup. Flush fit is 13 rounds. Sounds to me like you got a restricted CA 10 round magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got this pistol out to the range today. Brand new out of the box it ran perfectly. Easy to shoot, accurate, a very nice pistol. I used 2 of the 16rd mags I got from Palmetto. no problems.
This is why I like the XD line. I've never had issues, no break in time, it runs like a clock out of the box.

·
Registered
386 Posts
For the most part yes but remember it's a mechanical device. It's not a question of will it fail but when ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No they didn't, but I had 2 spacers in the box. I'll get 2 more eventually. My local shop sells the mags for $29 each, also with no spacers, so I couldn't pass up Palmetto's sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks
Hi,
I carry my XD9SC everyday and I had purchased an XD9 Tactical (5") that I carry in my versapack. I have 96 rounds available that will fit both guns.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
If you register the gun with Springfield (Warranty) they will pass on any recalls to you. (There are none now) In addition you get a discount for a number of days at the Springfield store it is usually less to buy then spare magazines, magazines with sleeves, and other stuff. They have the odd stuff.

Here is an example the discount is around 25% off this price

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
That example was for Mod 2 if yours is a Mod 1 be sure to get one for Mod 1, (Magazines are the same, but sleeves are different.)

Reactions: xdm92013

·
Registered
430 Posts
From the limited research iv done. The best way to carry the XD is using a clipdraw.
Here's a side by side of the techna clip and clip draw
This is something I would suggest you do a bit more research on. The trigger is completely exposed. It can be inadvertently pulled while still in your pants cuz crap happens. I suggest a holster that covers the trigger completely, that has a mouth that will stay open allowing bolstering your weapon without having to hold open the mouth of it. There are a ton of quality makes and models out there that fit those requirements.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is something I would suggest you do a bit more research on. The trigger is completely exposed. It can be inadvertently pulled while still in your pants cuz crap happens. I suggest a holster that covers the trigger completely, that has a mouth that will stay open allowing bolstering your weapon without having to hold open the mouth of it. There are a ton of quality makes and models out there that fit those requirements.

After the limited testing/research that I did using my XDsc with clipdraw. I couldn't get the trigger to be accidentally pulled. The only way was to purposely grip and pull the trigger. I have tried a few different holsters and none of them come close to the clipdraw when it comes to comfort when aiwb. Again I'm in California so I don't have a ccw, meaning I don't EDC.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What research are you doing that led you to the conclusion that the best way to carry a striker-fired handgun AIWB is with a clipdraw? Get a quality holster. Something like the Gypsy EDC Bones holster is super minimilist but also offers actual holster safety features.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I think the Clipdraw has disadvantages/advantages, just like any other holster/carrying device.

The lack of a fully-protected trigger definitely ranks as a leading factor for the former, but we should frame this with two considerations in-mind.

First, it's only since the Modern Technique revolution that we've seen the progression first towards a full trigger guard, and then more recently with the insistence that a proper holster must fully shield the trigger. Even today, however, there's still compromises in terms of this specific consideration with many (even top-flight manufactured or custom-molded) light-bearing holsters (the mouth of the holster around the trigger guard can be large enough that the finger of even an average to large-sized adult can slip in) and various popular concealed-carry holsters that has retention mechanisms which depend on a locking mechanism that has a component which fastens around (and thus intrudes into) the trigger guard.

Second, the manual grip safety of the XD-series pistols also give an added margin-of-safety with the Clipdraw in that if the shooter is careful to insure the grip safety is fully engaged (i.e. palm off the mechanism) during the holster/re-holster stroke, the chances that the gun will be discharged unintentionally is virtually nil. [That said, should the trigger be pinned for whatever reason, during the draw stroke, when the shooter achieves dominant grip and deactivate the grip safety, the gun will discharge. While this is a factual concern, it is not one that can be totally eliminated by the use of a holster that fully encloses the trigger guard, as this is inherent to the design of the safety mechanisms within this firearm.]

As to the flip side of that compromise....

The lack of a fully-enclosed trigger and truly protected trigger guard (that it is not simply covered by a thin layer of material that can easily be displaced so as to allow physical interaction with the trigger) does significantly raise the likelihood of an unintentional discharge (counterbalance again with the XD-series with the grip safety). To me, adding a simple minimalist-type trigger cover like the MIC, with static-cord release, would enhance safety while still allowing for the minimalist feel that the Clipdraw offers.

And I think it definitely ranks among the worst possible setup for weapon retention under physical demands..... In my past -albeit admittedly short-lived experience- with the Clipdraw, I did not feel that it offered any significant retention capabilities versus simply tucking the holster in the waistband of my pants.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What research are you doing that led you to the conclusion that the best way to carry a striker-fired handgun AIWB is with a clipdraw? Get a quality holster. Something like the Gypsy EDC Bones holster is super minimilist but also offers actual holster safety features.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Just wearing it around the house and doing everyday chores. When I did carry it, it was in a ready to go state with a primed case in the chamber. I don't feel unsafe when tucking the pistol away in to my waist band. With the XD all I do is place my thumb to the back of the slide which will decompress the grip safety making it safe to holster. With my jeans on and the pistol clipped on I can't grab the XD and pull the trigger. I sure wouldn't want to get into a physical altercation and rely on the clipdraw keeping my pistol into place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I prefer the flush fit sub compact 13 rd magazine , I think it looks much better and also make it more compact , plus it still shoots great with the short mags, also easier to conceal and less bulky

1 - 18 of 18 Posts