Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I carry a P3AT in a Desanti nemisis holster in my front right pocket. It is fast to get to and I like it. I often carry it even when I have my XD 45c on as I can get to it quicker. Kel-tec has indroduced the PF9 which is in 9mm and also fits in the nemisis holster. Really thin. As I was researching this gun I saw a photo of it being compared to an XD9 sub compact and it accured to me that aside from the XD's girth the overall size it is not that much bigger than the PF9. My question is does anyone here pocket carry the Subcompact 9 or .40 and how does it work for you. Because if the XD9 is a viable pocket gun I would rather use it then the PF9 or even the Walther PPS which is also on my hmmmmmmm list. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I carried a Glock G26 in my right front pocket in a Mika's pocket holster for several months with no problems. Now that I've got an XD9sc, it rides there in a High Noon Holsters "Pocket Grabber". It fit in the G26 holster, but it was a little snug. I had a few bucks and went with the High Noon and have not been disappointed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The XD9SC is quite the little brick. I'd suggest it would be OK for a parka, but it's heavy enough to really be awkward even there.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
For it to be a comfortable pocket gun, you'd need a rather large pocket I'm thinking. As BentLink said, it's quite a little brick. Carries well in an IWB or OWB holster fine though and the weight is comforting.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The reason it works for me is I'm a big guy, I wear big pants, and they have big pockets. I wear my jeans a little loose, and it disappears in a pair of pleated front Dockers or something like that. Size does have it's advantages at times :D

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I don't think the XDSC works well in any pants/shorts pocket except a cargo, and even then it is a bit heavy.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I don't think the XDSC works well in any pants/shorts pocket except a cargo, and even then it is a bit heavy.
I agree with this. It's fine in a good IWB holster but I would not carry my 9SC as a pocket gun. My SW 638 is even pretty noticeable as a pocket carry for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Too big and heavy for me even in cargo shorts/pants, and I'm 6'2", 205 lbs.

The few times I don't carry my XD SC IWB I have Kahr PM9 in pocket. And that's about the biggest/heaviest pocket gun I can abide.

- OS

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. sort of what I suspected. I have pretty much ruled IWB carry out for my magnificent shape . A paddle holster seems to be my best bet for on the waist and I carry my XD.45c for that or more usally in a truss holster under my shirt. Now I have to go find a PPS and play with it. Hellishly hard to find up here. I don't want to order one sight unseen I have had the PF9 in hand but come on a Walther pocket pistol in .40 has got to be pretty sweet. I like having a pistol in my front pocket that way i can fondle the butt in a potential situation (Which I have done) without telegraphing "I have a gun"and have it in my hand should everything go south (Which I have thank God not done) Anyway thanks for the input.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I carry XD(SC IWB sometimes as my main carry is a S&W 642, I bought a ebat cheapy and it works pretty good just something you have to get use to.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I have a Nemesis pocket holster for my XD9SC, but the only pants I can pocket carry it in are cargo pants.

I have carried it quite a bit in a pocket, but prefer IWB. I've got a couple tuckable holsters for when I'm wearing sport shirts, and I have a high back nylon IWB for carrying when I'm just wearing a t-shirt.

I love my XD9SC, but it's been relegated to jungle duty... I.E. I only carry it when I go into the jungle (translate: Denver and the Front Range)... I have a couple revolvers I use for general, 24hr CC.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I carried my bulldog .44 special in a paddle holster at about 4 oclock. I am looking for its like for my XD.45c but that really limits me as to when I can carry since I need a vest or jacket which I need to remeber to not absent mindly remove when I'm hot in a store. I presently do most of my .45c carrying in a truss holster under my shirt which is very comfortable but can be a problem when wearing a zipped jacket. For that reason I have a P3AT in a pocket holster front right pocket. (Sometimes it's all I have) There fore I have been examining my options for its replacement. I have been looking to move up to a 9mm pocket gun or even a .40 in the case of the PPS. But I have had experiance with the XD9sc and I dearly love that little gun eventually it will be mine. But I am concentrating right now on that front right pocket where I can put my mit without anyone really knowing I already have my hand full of gun. It's very comforting when the folks around you look unfriendly its 15 degrees and I am wearing a sweater and a parka.

·
Registered
208 Posts
just get the XDsc-40 w/ Don Hume IWB holster and be happy!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah after picking up my 40sc I soon realized that a 40 that carries minimum 9rds is still going to be tough to put in your pants pocket.
My pocket (backup) gun will probably be a .380 with 5-6 rds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've carried it in the and large front and breast pockets of my winter jacket, but I think it's a little bulky for pants, even with a good holster. That being said, that has to depend on your size, your pocket size, whether you sit a lot, etc. If I want to pocket carry I go with my Bersa Thunder .380.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
It's very comforting when the folks around you look unfriendly its 15 degrees and I am wearing a sweater and a parka.
I just use the little plastic holster that came with my XD9SC, and carry OWB, when it's cold enough for a coat and sweater. Winter in the cold weather states is the best time of the year to carry concealed.

Another reason why I don't care for pocket carry with my XD is that it only works with the 10 round magazine. I really like the 16 round mag with a grip extension. It gives you more rounds, and also the extended grip makes for better control and accuracy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts