Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a xd9-Service model, it is my range gun and I'm starting to use it in ipsc. I been putting some thought in the tactical model since i seen some people in the same class as me with longer barrels. Does the tactical model 5 inch barrel really make a difference from the 4 inch barrel?

Is the performance increase from the tactical to the service worth it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you're thinking about moving up, I'd consider an XDm9. It's a 4.5" barrel, so you're only sacrificing a 1/2 inch, but you get alot of other nice features.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
For competition, unless you are handloading down to a minimum powder charge, not much difference. Maybe 50-70fps, so the 5" could go slightly lower on powder. Maybe slightly less recoil flip with the bit of extra weight out front. The real difference is not in the pistol performance but in your aim. The longer sight radius can assist the shooter in aiming. The XDm sights are different design and the 4.5 has about the same length between sights as the 5" XD. Not sure how aftermarket sights compare to stock as far as sight radius. Probably a better trigger in whatever you are shooting can help the shooter.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in a Non- Hi-cap state.. There is too much trouble using XDM's for comp were i live. Also XDM mags cost $50 in my state as they need to be blocked by a FFL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts