Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heckler&Koch

that's the link for the P30. More people are telling me how great a gun it is and how it is highly regarded by Europe law enforcement and military. Does anyone have any experience with the P30 and/or compared with the XD9? I shot the XD9 and honestly it was a fantastic feel overall.

From the website I can't figure out what the trigger pull/lb is for the P30.
also capacity is 15 rds.

oh wow i just read they go for like $1000 (!!)

·
Registered
29,768 Posts
No, they're closer to the $7-800 range. At least, they are around here.

The feel really, really, really good in the hand. Customizable grips go a long way in that area.

In single-action, the trigger on the P30 is...fair. Double action...well, it's a double-action trigger; fairly heavy (around 10lbs, IIRC). I haven't ever tried one with the LEM trigger, but, from what I've heard, it's very similar to Sig's DAK, which I didn't particularly care for.

If I was choosing between the two, I'd shell probably shell out a bit more for the P30. No digs on the XD, but I know HK's quality and reliability, and the XD just isn't at that level.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I'll offer a differing opinion...

The XD-9 Service ran me around $600, then I added about $400 in aftermarket work and upgraded. At the end of the day, though, I have a completely customized and upgraded handgun that does what I need, when I need it. I've never had reason to doubt its reliability, either. The HK is a good gun, some may even say a superior gun, but its stock configuration is designed to support the greatest number of users---you might want things changed/altered, and all of those will increase your end price.

(Seriously though, the XD is a very well-built gun... we're not talking a Kel-Tec here people!)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I was choosing between the two, I'd shell probably shell out a bit more for the P30. No digs on the XD, but I know HK's quality and reliability, and the XD just isn't at that level.
:shock: really?? I thought XD's reliability was outstanding! Have there been any reliability comparisons of XD vs. HK?

yeah i'm not a fan of DA...

·
Registered
29,768 Posts
(Seriously though, the XD is a very well-built gun... we're not talking a Kel-Tec here people!)
I agree--the XD is a well-built gun. However, I also think the HK is a better-built gun. And, for a straight out of the box pistol, the P30 has the edge.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree--the XD is a well-built gun. However, I also think the HK is a better-built gun. And, for a straight out of the box pistol, the P30 has the edge.
that's a bold statement, cuda66---got any proof? do you own any HK's? I'm not trying to start a war, i just want to know which one is more reliable based on facts. HK's have been known for their German over-engineering, expensive pricing, and heavy guns, as well as reliability.
oh the P30 also has a decocker. meh. me thinks XD is better already. but i haven't held of fired a P30 before.

·
Registered
29,768 Posts
:shock: really?? I thought XD's reliability was outstanding! Have there been any reliability comparisons of XD vs. HK?

yeah i'm not a fan of DA...

I have 4 HK pistols; 2 USP's, a P7, and a P7M8. I honestly have no idea how many rounds have gone through all of them, but, if I were to hazard a guess, it'd be well upwards of 20k. The only times I have ever had problems with them, it was directly related to the ammo. Besides regular maintenence (cleaning, replacing springs), I've never had to do any work on any of them.

Now, I no longer have an XD, but I used to...and, in all fairness, in the 500 or so rounds I put through it, I never had a problem. However--I've seen XD's have issues more than once at various ranges I go to; and talking to places that rent out both, the XD's do have a higher failure rate than other pistols (HK, Sig, Glock...).

Now--does this mean that I think XD's are junk? No, I do not. I think that they are a fairly well put together pistol that a lot of people have very good luck with. However, based on my experience, the HK is a better pistol.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 4 HK pistols; 2 USP's, a P7, and a P7M8. I honestly have no idea how many rounds have gone through all of them, but, if I were to hazard a guess, it'd be well upwards of 20k. The only times I have ever had problems with them, it was directly related to the ammo. Besides regular maintenence (cleaning, replacing springs), I've never had to do any work on any of them.

Now, I no longer have an XD, but I used to...and, in all fairness, in the 500 or so rounds I put through it, I never had a problem. However--I've seen XD's have issues more than once at various ranges I go to; and talking to places that rent out both, the XD's do have a higher failure rate than other pistols (HK, Sig, Glock...).

Now--does this mean that I think XD's are junk? No, I do not. I think that they are a fairly well put together pistol that a lot of people have very good luck with. However, based on my experience, the HK is a better pistol.
1. which USP's do u have? I may look into one. I tried Sig, i don't like glock, and I have an XD.

2. I find it a little unnerving that those places told you XD's have a higher failure rate....i can't wait for other people to chime in. thanks for the input.

3. why did u get rid of your xd?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I've owned a P30 and numerous XDs. I'd consider the P30 to be superior in terms of build quality. That said I never had a single issue with an XD, the P30 (and HKs in general) just have a higher quality feel, to me.

The P30 fits like a glove, it really is an amazing grip. I do like the HK style mag release.

All that said, given the choice between the available P30s in this country, I'd take an XD over the P30 any day of the week. I am not a fan at all of the trigger on the P30. I'd even go so far to say that I think it sucks. I hate the double action pull on HKs...at least on the USP/HK45 you can treat it as a SAO by using the manual safety. The SA pull ain't bad but it's nothing to write home about. I'd much rather have the XD's trigger. Throw a P30L LEM into the mix (which as far as I know the LEM P30 is not here yet), and my answer might change.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I don't have and HK P30 but I have an HK USP and an HK P2000 LEM, both in 9mm and though I love my xd sc .40, I looovvveee my HKs.

·
Registered
29,768 Posts
1. which USP's do u have? I may look into one. I tried Sig, i don't like glock, and I have an XD.

2. I find it a little unnerving that those places told you XD's have a higher failure rate....i can't wait for other people to chime in. thanks for the input.

3. why did u get rid of your xd?
I have a USP45 and a USP45 Tactical. They're both great pistols; the Tactical is a tack driver. I occasionally carry the USP, but I tend to carry Glocks more.

I got rid of my XD-M for a couple of reasons...one, I really didn't like the trigger. Two, I shot consistently about 6" to the left with it at 7 yards. If I switched to any of my other pistols, I was dead on. When I gave it to other experienced shooters to try, they were dead on with it. After 500 rounds and no improvement, I decided the XD-M/Cuda66 interface just wasn't happenin', so I traded it off.

·
Registered
189 Posts
just my .2 cents, I have shot my good friends p30, its a outstanding gun as far as feel and build quality. That being said, the XD IMO shoots worlds better and has a better trigger pull. Even my friend that owns the gun agree with me on this. The p30 has a sharp muzzle flip compared to a xd and even the SA pull feels heavier and nasty compared to my unmodded xd9. The p30 is definately a trusty gun, but I have NEVER had a single problem from my xd... So I would have to say the reliability is the same.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for those of you with experience with the LEM P30 version, how light is the trigger pull? Well!----your replies pretty much answer my question:

P30: superior build quality, outstanding performance, superior reliability, unbelievable and customizable grip ergonomics

XD: outstanding performance at a budget price, superior reliability, AND a BETTER trigger (who needs a decock, anyway? :lol:)

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
the LEM trigger pull takes some getting used to...at least for me it did....it's hard to describe. After the first double action feel you can release the trigger slightly and it's a real light second pull or you can realease the trigger fully and have a longer but light trigger pull. HKs website can explain it better. What sold me on the LEM was the option for a second strike if you experience a failure to fire, just pull the trigger again. With the XD you do not have that option and must reck the slide.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the LEM trigger pull takes some getting used to...at least for me it did....it's hard to describe. After the first double action feel you can release the trigger slightly and it's a real light second pull or you can realease the trigger fully and have a longer but light trigger pull. HKs website can explain it better. What sold me on the LEM was the option for a second strike if you experience a failure to fire, just pull the trigger again. With the XD you do not have that option and must reck the slide.

say what?! how is that possible

·
Registered
815 Posts
Someone said the their ranges have told them that the XD's have a higher failure rate than the other rentals (sig, HK, glock). i have a different experience. at the main range i go to ive only seen 2 xd's experience failures that i chalked up to ammo. on the other hand, ive seen glocks fte fte almost every other round on several different occasions. im not saying ones better than the other, cause i have a glock and an xd, both of which have been flawless. my xds have had thousands of rounds through them with no problems at all. so i dont consider reliablility an issue at all.

Now about the p30. ive never shot one but have been priviledged to hold one on many occasions and i just cant get enough of the feel of the grip. its amazing IMO. if i had the extra cash i would def. pic one up. id say u cant go wrong with any of the previously mentioned weapons (glock, sig, HK, XD). just my 2 cents tho!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I have a different opinion. Never fired a P30, but dry fired and oggled them a few times. If you like da/sa trigger set ups, its the best pistol around hands down instead of a 90 degree its only 60 degrees so if you have a big hand like mine you can pull the hammer without taking your hand off the grip of the pistol. Sa it feels fine to me, nothing to write home about but fine, better than other da/sa pistols, its da is a little shorter than most. Yeah the DAK is a pretty good comparison on it. Not exactly the same but close.

If I could have either out of the box, I'd take the P30, however at 720, you can get an Xd with the customized stipled grip, and smoothed trigger. And then I'd say they are about even. Personally I liked the balance/weight of the P30 better so I'd still get it. I'd say go pick them up whichever holds better get it, and if you get the xd I think to get to the same quality will cost the same amount of money. Oh the decocker on the back of the slide is a big perk for me.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
becuase it's not a striker fire system like the XD

This article explains in all in detail:

Firearms - The USP LEM Trigger Module by MarkFreburg
+1 it utilizes hammer to strike the firing pin, like a 1911. And since it's essentially a DA trigger, the hammer can be activated by trigger pull.

I have a Sig P239 DAK, the trigger pull is much heavier than the LEM but it operates under the same principle. The Sig DAK also has a second strike capability. I would buy a P30 if it comes with a LEM trigger and in .40 S&W caliber. The LEM is really sweet.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I like the looks of the HKs. I was considering a used USP Compact .40 at a local range/shop, so I rented a full-size USP .40 there to check it out. Nice gun. No problem with the DA/SA but I think the grip angle is a bit different from my XD. I was consistently aiming low at first. Or maybe it was just me.

Any good shooter could overcome a different grip angle. I'm just saying if you're going back and forth from an XD to an HK it might be something to think about before dropping big money on a new (or used) HK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts