Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of difference will I see with the extra 1" of barrel? Their roughly the same price. Is the tactical worth the extra $20 if I'm doing a lot of range shooting (indoors and eventually outdoors). Thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not much. Depends on what you are going to do with it, If it's just doing to be for ranges use or for competition then I would go with the Tactical, if you might want to carry it then go with the Service. There isn't any real big differences between the two. I have XDs in all three sizes, and I feel that the big difference is with the Sub-Compact. The Tactical and the Service are about the same.
Where about in St. Paul, and where do you shoot?
I'm just north of St Paul, and maybe we could get together and shoot sometime if you wanted to try out the different models, but all mine are 40s.
PM me if you'er intrested.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply and the offer. I'll actually be trying out all 3 on Tuesday, but since I'm a new shooter I'm not really in a position to be calling what's what.

I've read many posts on this forum where some think the service is just as if not more accurate than the tactical. Which is kinda odd really. Besides the supposed better accuracy (or at least sights related). What advantages or pros does the tactical have in your opinion?

I live in White Bear Lake by the way. Thanks again - Tyler

·
Registered
889 Posts
I bought a Tactical for USPSA shooting, because I didn't want to do any mods to the service model that I carry. I sent the Tactical out and had some work done on it, trigger, finish, and sights.
As for as the accurcy I think that upgrading the sights is the way to go. I didn't see much defference between the two until I put Dawsons Adjustable Fiber Optics on the Tactical, and it was so much better that I put Dawsons Adjustable Night Sights on my carry gun, and now they are back to being the same.
The biggest advantage I see in the Tactical is that it is a little heavier in the front, and maybe not quite as snappy as the Service, but you would have to judge for yourself. And you have more optitions when changing spring weights with the Tactical.
If you are going to try all of them out just use the same ammo in all of them, and pick the one that you like the best.
You could just buy one of each, I'm up to four :D .

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
I bought a Tactical for USPSA shooting, because I didn't want to do any mods to the service model that I carry. I sent the Tactical out and had some work done on it, trigger, finish, and sights.
As for as the accurcy I think that upgrading the sights is the way to go. I didn't see much defference between the two until I put Dawsons Adjustable Fiber Optics on the Tactical, and it was so much better that I put Dawsons Adjustable Night Sights on my carry gun, and now they are back to being the same.
The biggest advantage I see in the Tactical is that it is a little heavier in the front, and maybe not quite as snappy as the Service, but you would have to judge for yourself. And you have more optitions when changing spring weights with the Tactical.
If you are going to try all of them out just use the same ammo in all of them, and pick the one that you like the best.
You could just buy one of each, I'm up to four :D .
Not much to add to that!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Both of my XDs are equally accurate, I really can't see any difference in performance. My XD9 Service is ported, and I can keep the sights on target with decreased muzzle flip, but it's not a super noticeable advantage. Pick the one you personally like best after you shoot them. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts