Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kimber 1911 that I use for IDPA, bit it tends to spend most of it's tim in Yonkers, NY at the Kimber shop. Anyway, I was considering using my XD. Anyone use one? Do you use the XD gear as well?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've used my XD40 service with a Don Hume OWB holster and kydex mag pouchs.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I am planning to use it for competition/practice I did however get an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle for this...The XD gear isn't bad but I wanted to adjust the cant more. I am planning to start with the mad holder though. Unfortunately comps in this area are winding down for the season and didn't get a chance to try it out.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I use my XD-9 Service in comps. Mostly steel challenge, but some IDPA as well. I don't use the XD gear, but I have seen some do it. I use Blackhawk OWB kydex.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've spent some time in my first year in IDPA with both my Kimber Pro Carry II and my XD9 Service... and one match with my XD9SC.

The XD9 Service was, hands down, my best shooting. The experience really built confidence in this platform. Mine is pure stock. The XD9SC was also pretty fine, although the short sight radius was a handicap and I haven't brought myself to shoot it in BUG class.

Most of the Kimber experience got me very proficient with clearing Failure to Feed with any hand-loads attempted. Ran clean with WWB hard-ball in my classifier (though I was awful). It's a little better with some polishing of the feed ramp and throating. When it goes bang, it's wicked accurate. When it don't, there goes another second or two. It's also darned reliable with Rem Gold Sabers, so I still carry it.

I say go for it with either pistol. The XD will likely provide a little less frustration and some more economical (realisticially more) practice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use my XD9 Service in IDPA as this is also my carry gun. I donot use the XD items as I am a lefty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wife and I use our XDs for IDPA all the time, and we both use the XD gear too. They all work just fine for us.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Used mine this morning, shot better than I ever have. I give credit for that to the Powder River trigger kit. I see lots of 1911s choke in IDPA.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm running a XD service in .40 for both IDPA and USPSA production. I have had some work done on it. My trigger job kit came from Tactical Technologies at Tactical Technologies and the sights are Dawson adjustable rear and fiber front from www.dawsonprecision.com Home Page. A magwell and that's about it. The magwell is a cheap one and I'm looking for a good replacement. I have run over 10k rounds through the gun and not a hicup. Plan to start shooting the XDM for Limited in USPSA. I like the .40 because I handload and I think it's a little softer shooting. Bladetech holster and uncle mike double mag pouches.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I use my XD9 Tactical bone stock w/XD Gear in both IDPA and USPSA, not had any issues with my gear or reloads. I'd like to get a Springfield GI1911A1 for USPSA jus cuzz...;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yesterday while shooting an IDPA match here in Florida my Smith and Wesson M&P 9's slide decided to crack. Pretty scary to look down and see a 3/4 inch crack in a forged stainless steel slide.

I still had 3 stages to shoot so I went to the truck and took out my XDsc9 carry rig and finished the match. One stage was at 20 yards and 18 rounds but the little XD shot it with only one point down in fact I finished all the stages with only 3 points down. Obviously the 3 inch barrel was no handicap. I have qualified with this gun for personal carry 2 twice as a retired LEO and it has never failed me and has more than 8000 rounds through it.

Went on line and sure enough another shooter had the same slide crack on his M&P as I did. I guess S&W will fix it for free but I am not sure I can trust the weapon in the future. It was a very accurate sweat shooter up to this point. I have only used Win white box 115 grain ammo in the weapon so there really was no reason for the failure. If you own an M&P check your slide carefully.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a Kimber 1911 that I use for IDPA, bit it tends to spend most of it's tim in Yonkers, NY at the Kimber shop. Anyway, I was considering using my XD. Anyone use one? Do you use the XD gear as well?
I use my XD in IDPA and until recently used the XD gear that came with the Pistol. Though I don't think it makes great competition or carry gear it does function well enough for competition. I have used it at Steel City IDPA matches and at the ATI monday match in Birmingham.

It has been a while since you posted this question so this is probably a little late. Why is your Kimber in Yonkers So much? Besides my own fault when cleaning a few weeks ago mine works great.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yesterday while shooting an IDPA match here in Florida my Smith and Wesson M&P 9's slide decided to crack. Pretty scary to look down and see a 3/4 inch crack in a forged stainless steel slide.

I still had 3 stages to shoot so I went to the truck and took out my XDsc9 carry rig and finished the match. One stage was at 20 yards and 18 rounds but the little XD shot it with only one point down in fact I finished all the stages with only 3 points down. Obviously the 3 inch barrel was no handicap. I have qualified with this gun for personal carry 2 twice as a retired LEO and it has never failed me and has more than 8000 rounds through it.

I just did my first USPSA match and used my XDsc9....it's the only gun i had that I could really use. I've got a EAA Witness Match but only one magazine for it. I thought the XDsc9 did good considering it was my first time. Didn't have any issues with hitting the farther out targets. Biggest problems were my super slow mag reloads but they'd be slow with any barrel length. Used a Crossbreed Supertuck as well....just tucked my tshirt in behind the holster. I liked the idea of using the stuff that I use for carry and think i'll continue to use this setup for future matches even if it's less then ideal.

·
Registered
948 Posts
the 1st time i ever shot it was at a idpa match all stock and all xd gear.this gun is the best point and shot gun i own bottom line!! the list is the new xdm9mm,5in.tac.xd. :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
All of my IDPA matches have been using my XD9-service, with XDgear mag holder.
Just recently started bringing the XD9-Tactical.
Both XD's are stock and have run flawlessly.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Went on line and sure enough another shooter had the same slide crack on his M&P as I did. I guess S&W will fix it for free but I am not sure I can trust the weapon in the future. It was a very accurate sweat shooter up to this point. I have only used Win white box 115 grain ammo in the weapon so there really was no reason for the failure. If you own an M&P check your slide carefully.

Bruce,

any chance you can post a picture of your cracked slide? And you're saying a 2nd M&P cracked a slide on the same day, at the same match? That is incredible. Post a pic of yours if you can please.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I use my XD 9 service almost exclusively. Since I have to shoot in ESP, I had a trigger job, extended mag release, and match barrel added, and best of all, Dawson Precision .125 notch fixed sights, target rear fiber front.

Now, even though I have an XDM, I'm still shooting my XD and winning. Fits my hand like a glove.....not that OJ glove, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts