Springfield XD Forum banner

XD9 Service for CCW?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Hornetsnest 
#1 ·
Question guys.....

I'm about to receive my CCW permit. The only problem is all my handguns are full size. I have a Glock 17, HK USP 40, S&W 4 inch M19, a Beretta 92, and of course my XD9 Service.

Out of these, the XD9 is obviously the smallest, but is it small enough for effective concealed carry? I would buy a compact but funds will not be available for that for another year or so.

BTW, if it's any help I'm 5'11, 190 pounds. About to move to a colder northern climate w/in 9-10 months.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm basically trying to get out of buying another gun. I'd love to be able to but just can't swing it. I don't want to sell or trade any of my current firearms as I'm a little attached to them.

I'm hoping my XD 9 Service will fill this role.........

#2 ·
I happen to be 6 foot and 190 lbs. myself. I also carry an XD9 service model. I live in Ohio where 7 of the twelve months are cool enough to conceal by wearing a jacket or coat. I use a Galco High ride OWB belt holster. I have had no problems concealing in just a T-shirt. There can be at times a bit of printing, but most people don't even bat an eye at it.
Depending on your method of carry it could be more easily concealed.
Hope this helps.

Greg

#3 ·
I carry the xd 357 people that I know can not even tell most of the time and they know I carry I am 6 1 200lbs Most the time I go under the arm sportsmanguide.com a 17.00 rig most guns fit in it I have found that you have to have two mags with rounds on the other side to balance it out... Not to bad though (Cross draw not to fond of that though)

#5 ·
I carry XD40 service Everyday almost all day I am 5'7" 155 and i think it has been noticed once and that was my fault because I didn't notice my new jean jacket had rode up the handle after getting out of the car. I use the galco fletch high ride for now.....I want to find a holster that rides high like the galco but built to work for a smaller framed person. So personally I think your service should and would work fine for CCW but it is all personal preference when it comes right down to it. I am looking to buy the XD9sc for my wife to CCW but I will continue to use my service or my DP51(If I decide I am keeping it) for my carry weapon of choice.

#6 ·
I appreciate the feedback....looks like I'll be ok with it. I'm happy that it'll work out, not only does it save me cash, but I feel it will be much more effective than any of the J frame revolvers or similar weapons (God forbid ever having to utilize it).

#7 ·
Like everybody else said...personal preference. Alot of factors involved. I could probably carry a shotgun or sword concealled if i felt the need to. Some people prefer having a larger weapon and some people would rather feel like its not there. something my uncle told me is that you either start dressing for your gun or you select you carry based on what your wearing/going at the time. Thats the great thing with today's manufactures, you can have a full size tactical XD and have a very similar subcompact baby brother.

#9 ·
I'm 6'1"/200lbs and I've been carrying my XD9 service since I bought it in January. I use a Galco leather holster on the right hip and haven't had a problem yet due to more layers for colder weather.

It is starting to warm up around here and wouldn't mind getting a SC for IWB carry. I'm also concidering other options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.