Springfield XD Forum banner

XD9 Service @ 14,000 rounds + Mobil 1 and Lithium grease

7K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  jink122 
#1 ·

Screw boutique fragrances, and fancy oils ... Mobil 1 and White Lithium, forever :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice even wear and looks great at 14K rounds. What flavor of Mobil-1 are you using and what's your maintenance routine?
+1

Looks like zero rust or (deep) scratches at all. I likey

#4 ·
Very nice even wear and looks great at 14K rounds. What flavor of Mobil-1 are you using and what's your maintenance routine?
LOL
My maintenance routine consists of cleaning it when I feel like it, but usually within 1000 rounds.

The furthest I've went is about 1500 rounds before cleaning, and other than ammo, I've never had a failure.

XD9 Fails

I keep the gun on the wet side, when it comes to lube.
The barrel to guide-rod contact point has always had white lithium at the contact point, plus a mix of Mobil 1 10W40 and white lithium on the barrel where it interfaces with the slide, and the same mix on the slide to frame contact points ... All other points of concern get straight Mobil 1.

I've got about a 5 lifetime supply left that cost me about $10, and currently treat all firearms to the same method of lubrication.

For cleaning,
It's non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and Hoppes #9, although, it's not really Hoppes ... It's just a mixture of Kerosene, and acetone.

The two main ingredients in Hoppes ... Althought I have been known to use Toulene on occasion, for really messy stuff.

And I occasionally soak barrels in my brand of Hoppes for minutes to days, and then run a few patches through them, using a piece of weed-eater line, and a cloth patch.

#5 ·
Looks like it's just starting to get broken in!

#6 ·
#7 ·
Not bad..not bad at all

Do you mix the grease and oil?!? Make it a paste or something?

That kerosene, acetone, and throw in a shot of transmission fluid makes a GREAT cleaner!

"Ed's Red"

#11 ·
very nice maint on your gun, yes, it looks like it is just getting broke in, she must shoot nice. Retired my 45acp tac xd for the 5.25 45acp xdm, the tac had about 38,000 rounds in 3.5 years. Have to start all over with this xdm, I am suffering so much:p

#12 ·
Not bad..not bad at all

Do you mix the grease and oil?!? Make it a paste or something?

That kerosene, acetone, and throw in a shot of transmission fluid makes a GREAT cleaner!

"Ed's Red"
Basically ... YES
The gun get's to do the mixing.

And,
Ed's Red is what caused me to initially start looking at what's in the different boutique flavors of gun cleaning (chemicals) agents.

FWIW,
That frog lube thread makes me laugh ... 1100 rotunds, and all I see is a rapidly wearing out gun ;)
Maybe it's the pictures :wink:

#13 ·
Looks like being a cheap bastard worked out in your favor..:roll:
Although the wear looks a bit uneven and excessive to me, even at 14K..

Whatever works for you is fine with me, too bad you don't have the same attitude..:(

#14 ·
I use froglube...it works well

I just don't have the cash to burn up 14K rounds...

#15 ·
Looks like being a cheap bastard worked out in your favor..:roll:
Although the wear looks a bit uneven and excessive to me, even at 14K..

Whatever works for you is fine with me, too bad you don't have the same attitude..:(
I really get a good laugh when you express your disappointment in my opinion of a $24 per gallon set of maintenance products to your $500 per gallon boutique stuff :p

To bad you don't have the same attitude !!

#18 ·
I really get a good laugh when you express your disappointment in my opinion of a $24 per gallon set of maintenance products to your $500 per gallon boutique stuff :p

To bad you don't have the same attitude !!
So glad I could be a source of amusement for you..

I've repeated it over and over, whatever works for you is fine with me..
So yes, I do have that attitude.
Perhaps you aren't comprehending what you are reading..:(

You are the one that chose to thread crap on the Frog-lube thread.
I only asked for opinions from those that have used Frog-lube.
If you don't use it or want to use it, then don't bother chiming in.
Then you wouldn't have me crappping on your Mobil 1 10W-30 thread.

As far as your price comparison goes, I make enough money to use any firearm lubricant I want, regardless of price.
So that really isn't an issue.

Keep drizzling motor oil on your firearms, as they are your firearms.
And perhaps don't concern yourself with what others chose to use on their firearms.

In other words, your wisdom isn't needed in every thread of this forum.

Seems pretty simple, does it not? :confused:

#19 ·
I thought about using mobil1 but my thoughts were that in a car, you have a pump and filter to flow oil continuously.. In a gun, once it gets pushed off its spot, nothing will keep replenishing it.

Thats why I chose to look for a grease since they are less likely to be removed during normal use.

I am curious as how your lithium and oil mix hold up. Is it creamy? Gritty?

I do clean my gun more often but thats just because I feel I should.

When you think of what a gun is doing most often, metal on metal friction with bursts of high heat, it makes sense to look where millions of dollars have already been spent on research.

Gun lubes did not impress me much after having spent most of my life dealing with bicycle, skateboard, rollerblade, motor and other lubes.

I never did care for having a 1 item does it all solution. 1 can should not degrease, clean and then somehow leave enough lube behind. I dont like to shoot a wet gun. Anyone who wears light colored shirts should not do it. Too much splatter.

#20 ·
^^^ It's creamy, just like the lithium grease ... A little bit mixed just thins it down some.

#21 ·
It's creamy, just like lithium grease ...
That's what she said...;)

:mrgreen:

Sorry I could not help myself.

#23 ·
^^^ It's creamy, just like the lithium grease ... A little bit mixed just thins it down some.
+1
Lithium grease is essentially a lithium soap and oil. If grease is too high in viscosity, thinning with oil is appropriate. If you don't add too much oil, the grease will remain thixitropic (no flow) at operating temperature and it will stay where you want it to. If I have a choice between wax and soap as a lubricant ingredient, I will take soap (almost) every time.

#24 ·
+1
Lithium grease is essentially a lithium soap and oil. If grease is too high in viscosity, thinning with oil is appropriate. If you don't add too much oil, the grease will remain thixitropic (no flow) at operating temperature and it will stay where you want it to. If I have a choice between wax and soap as a lubricant ingredient, I will take soap (almost) every time.
But, but, but ... It's supposed to cost more money :rolleyes:

Glad you understand how it works ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.