Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK…I decided to upgrade my XD9 trigger assembly by using a Powder River Precision trigger kit. It wasn’t too difficult to replace the components after watching numerous videos on the procedure. But ran into a problem when reassembling the parts. Unfortunately, my arthritis makes working on my firearms a problem.

I managed to carefully reassemble the parts sear is now giving me problems. Does the grip safety need to be depressed/engaged when installing the sear? When I reassembled the sear assembly, I may have not depressed the grip safety. Also, even though the trigger assembly function, the trigger bar only causes minimal movement of the sear. The sear appears to be the “up” position which prevents the slide from being removed. I had to take the piece to a gunsmith to have him remove the slide. The slide and frame were successfully separated but I notice that the sear keeps returning to the “up” position whenever I depress the trigger. Shouldn’t the sear be in a “lower” position within the frame?

None of the videos I’ve watched mention about how the sear is supposed to be positioned. I am going to take apart the parts I installed and redo everything.

Thanks to all who respond.

Dave St John
WarFareMil

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Did you install the disconnector properly? On the std XD you have to depress the grip safety, pull the trigger and keep it pulled to remove the slide. Newer models lower the sear automatically when you flip the takedown lever upwards. Yes you should have had to depress the grip safety in to even install the sear, otherwise the pin hole won’t align very easy. With the slide off, grip safety depressed, the sear should move up and down with the trigger movement. With the trigger held back if you push down on the disconnector (flat bar on right side of the frame) the sear should pop back up with the trigger held back. Release the bar and then the trigger and it will reset with a click. Then the trigger will pull the sear up and down like before. If this works everything should be ok, if not you’ll need to investigate deeper. Just make sure you are depressing the grip safety too. You can test that also by NOT depressing it and pulling the trigger. You should not be able to pull it very far and the sear shouldn’t move much.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can you post a picture? I think it would help to be able to see the position of the sear and grip safety.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you install the disconnector properly? On the std XD you have to depress the grip safety, pull the trigger and keep it pulled to remove the slide. Newer models lower the sear automatically when you flip the takedown lever upwards. Yes you should have had to depress the grip safety in to even install the sear, otherwise the pin hole won’t align very easy. With the slide off, grip safety depressed, the sear should move up and down with the trigger movement. With the trigger held back if you push down on the disconnector (flat bar on right side of the frame) the sear should pop back up with the trigger held back. Release the bar and then the trigger and it will reset with a click. Then the trigger will pull the sear up and down like before. If this works everything should be ok, if not you’ll need to investigate deeper. Just make sure you are depressing the grip safety too. You can test that also by NOT depressing it and pulling the trigger. You should not be able to pull it very far and the sear shouldn’t move much.
After spending about 20 minutes at the gunsmith, he was finally able to remove the slide. He had to remove the firing pin Assembly which “released” the slide. He said he wasn’t sure if it was the sear or the trigger bar if I wanted to leave it (more $$$, or course) and he would work on it. I brought home the separated slide and frame and started watching a dvd on the XD. I disassembled the frame and started very carefully to reinstall the parts. I found at that time that the sear was too high in the frame and would “block” releasing the slide. In disassembling and reinstalling the parts, I took care in installing the parts and found the sear had move “lower” in the frame. When the frame was finished, I “tested” the stripped slide to observe the function. I wanted to see if there were any more problems. The sear “reacted” as it should when pressing in the grip safety; and the slide came off the frame with no other problems. Moment of truth will be when I reassemble the slide and test it on the frame. That’ll be next week.

Thanks for your post.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts