Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. I'm new to this forum and looking for a little advice. I'm a novice shooter, going to purchase either an XD9 SC or XD40 SC this Saturday 03-12 and I'm looking for opinions on the guns (b/c no XD's are avail for rental at any of my local ranges). I've shot the Ruger P95 and Glock 19 9 mm's before, and can handle the recoil very easily. I've shot Beretta & Smith&Wesson .40's before (don't know exact model #'s) and could handle the recoil easily. I've however had trouble with the recoil on Glock 22 and Glock 23 .40's, and w/ the 23 I was not very accurate.. I tended to shoot down and to the left. It was my first time shooting, though. I'm wondering how the recoil on the 3" SA XD40 compares. I'm definitely set on the SubCompact so I'm looking to get peoples' opinions on the .40's recoil and ability reposition on the target quickly as compared to the 9mm's. At the gun stores I've been to, I hear non-stop about how the 9mm is a far inferior personal defense round and each clerk seems to have a different story to tell me about some guy they know or have seen get shot in the chest with a 9mm and get up and walk away. On these forums, though, I tend to hear more balanced opinions about the 9mm vs .40 debate, and that, coupled with the effect of recoil on a novice shooter -- I'd like to know what you all would suggest. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I would buy the 9mm if you are a novice shooter. I just traded my
xd-40 4" for a sub xd-40. I shot a 9mm sub before getting my sub. I figure the muzzle flip would not be a problem because I also have a 3" kimber ultra carry (.45). Thinking back, I prefer shooting the 9mm vs my .40 . The sub .40 is a little harder to shoot than the 4" service model.

The sub .40 is till very accurate. It's not my carry gun because I haven't found a holster for it yet. As soon as I find a holster, I will alternate between it and the Kimber.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the XD sc in 40. I'm a veteran shooter, but this is my first sub-c 40. I don't find the recoil to be unmanageable in any way. I will admit to not being as accurate as I feel I should be with it yet. That will just take range work. I also carry a CZ Rami in 9mm and Kimber ultra RCP 45. I don't feel undergunned with the 9 on my hip instead of the 40 or 45. If you have the opportunity, my advice would be to get the 40 and then, if you feel the need to, hope all the rumors about drop in 9mm conversion barrels happen soon....so you can really learn to shoot it with 9mm and move up to 40 when you are ready. But I don't think the 9mm is that inferior. If you are comfy with it and can hit your spot, it's very effective. Carry good ammo and practice, practice, practice and you should be fine either way.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Man shot in the chest and walked away, was the guy wearing a vest. The one guy I like at the gun shop I go to carries a 9mm SC, he was actually who turned me onto the XD. The best deffense weapon is the one you can shoot and be use to, with that said 9mm is a lil cheaper to feed then 40. I think either will put someone down in most situations, your never going to know for sure untill something happens. I would lean toward being able to be accurate, and repeating acuracy, if your having trouble with the 40 cal then go 9mm.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I hear non-stop about how the 9mm is a far inferior personal defense round and each clerk seems to have a different story to tell me about some guy they know or have seen get shot in the chest with a 9mm and get up and walk away.
I'm sure they know all the stories. I'm also also sure they have no personal experience.

Now let me tell you the story about the guy with the 9mm or 45 or 50 cal (pick one). He's in a bar giving a guy crap about how his 22 cal won't kill anything. The guy gets pissed off and goes out to his truck and gets his 22, comes back into the bar, shoots the other guy in the head and kills him with his 22. I don't know if this story is true or not. But if you want to believe it that's up to you. Just remember this, BS is BS and you'll hear a lot of it when it comes to gun story's. Go for the facts and blow off the BS.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but the felt recoil of my SC 9mm is the same as a .40 service (both unmodified XD's).
Ammo is cheaper for 9mm if that will factor into your decision.

Oh, do yourself a favor, whichever you decide upon, get some Pearce Grip Extensions. They dramatically improve feel over the short factory grips.
Pearce Grip Extension

·
Registered
427 Posts
.22 behind the ear will do the job!!! Anyway...I say the .40. I don't have hard time controlling mine at all. I actually prefer to shoot my .40 rather than my 9mm. It all comes down to what is best for you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know this story is true. I am a police officer and while in training they showed us a video of either a trooper or deputy (i don't remember for sure) who stopped a car. When the officer walked to the car the suspect shot the officer once with a .22cal. The officer returned fire with his .357mag all six shots. The suspect lived and the officer died. The officer was wearing a vest, the bullet his in his upper arm and traveld to the artery and he bleed out internaly. So it does not always matter what cal gun you are using. As they say shot placement is what counts. I carry 9mm every day since I became leo and never felt under powered. That isn't to say that I don't have some .40's and .45's at home. I usually carry a xd40sc off duty and in a plain clothes times (court, training, ect...). Well I guess that is all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been in healthcare for over 20 years and I've seen just as many people dead on the operating room table from 9mm rounds as 40cal rounds or anything else. I think it doesn't matter. Any bullet in the body is bad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have the 9mm but i do wish that i would have gotten the 40...and then get the 9mm barrel for it....but i still love my sub....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I own the XD9SC and love it. No problems here. I seem to remember one of the sponsors here mentioning they're working on a 9mm conversion barrel for the SC in the past month or so. And that it would be available by summerish (I think). If that's true, buy the .40 and a conversion barrel. Best of both worlds.

I'm sure if you do a search on conversion barrels, you can find a bunch of info on it.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
The issue is not about the size of the bullet since we know that a rock can kill you if it hits you in the right place.

Kid226 said that he was a novice shooter. When I was a novice shooter, I don't think that I would have like shooting the sc-.40. It is a little harder to control. But not uncontrollable with a little practice. I do enjoy shooting mine, but Kid226 you should buy a gun that YOU will enjoy. I don't think that the people in the forum would want you to come back later to hear say that the xd sucks. There is nothing wrong with starting small and working your way up. It's possible that you could own both the sc-9 and sc-40.

BTW, you can use the .40 magazines in the sc-9. It will hold 12 rounds. I had rented a sc-9 a while back at the range. I was feeding 9mm rounds through my my old .40 mag without any problems. There was no need to change the feeding ramp.[/quote]

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have the SC40 and don't feel like recoil is a problem. you can't go wrong with either one. 9mm is a great round and you well not be "out gunned"

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
People, if we do an apples to apples comparison, there will be a difference in the amount of recoil that a sc9 and a sc40 will produce. But if I'm shooting my Kimber Ultra Carry .45 then my xd-40 sc, I won't feel a significant difference.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I carry an XD9 SC and have no worries or fears. the 9mm is a fine round. I use the 40SC mags in mine so I have a 14 round subcompact that is very easy to control and has not had a problem in over 2000 rounds.

Either caliber you pick you will have a great little pistol that will get the job done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Verm said:
I use the 40SC mags in mine so I have a 14 round subcompact that is very easy to control and has not had a problem in over 2000 rounds.
Agreed - buy what you're comfortable with; shoot what you're comfortable with; and, carry what you're comfortable with (and load it with some HydraShoks or Golden Sabers to be sure). 8)

By the way Verm, did you have to modify the 40SC mags to carry 9mms in them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm new also, but I went straight for the .40. Packs quite a good punch. I shot a rental 9 while I was there to see the difference, and I think there is a slight amount more recoil in my .40. Bang is a little more intense as well.

Great guns, can't go wrong either way..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
If you have an XD9-SC can you buy a .40SW barrel, magazine, stronger recoil springs, etc. or is only one way (40 to 9)???

Its the other way around,you can use a 9mm barrel in a 40.you can go down in caliber,but not up

Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts