Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 XD9s, both 4" Service models with the factory captive guide rod assembly. One of them is getting up into the several thousand round count and I'm looking at buying a few spare parts; specifically recoil springs.

So, first off, how many thousand rounds will the factory spring/guide rod assembly last? Is 3K-5K a good replacement interval?

Second, is there anywhere I can just buy the factory recoil spring/guide rod assembly, or do I need to pick up a one piece non captive guide rod and spring kit from someone? Would you recommend getting the aftermarket guide rod kits, or sticking with the factory design? Is the Wolff non-captive kit any good? How about the "Don's" guide rods?

Just as a little hi-jack of my own thread, are there any other parts that you recommend keeping on hand to keep an XD running for years to come? I don't know how to detail strip the slide or frame (probably would be good to find out how...), but I'd at least like to get the high wear parts right away.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have 2 XD9s, both 4" Service models with the factory captive guide rod assembly. One of them is getting up into the several thousand round count and I'm looking at buying a few spare parts; specifically recoil springs.

So, first off, how many thousand rounds will the factory spring/guide rod assembly last? Is 3K-5K a good replacement interval?

Second, is there anywhere I can just buy the factory recoil spring/guide rod assembly, or do I need to pick up a one piece non captive guide rod and spring kit from someone? Would you recommend getting the aftermarket guide rod kits, or sticking with the factory design? Is the Wolff non-captive kit any good? How about the "Don's" guide rods?

Just as a little hi-jack of my own thread, are there any other parts that you recommend keeping on hand to keep an XD running for years to come? I don't know how to detail strip the slide or frame (probably would be good to find out how...), but I'd at least like to get the high wear parts right away.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.:D
I have run a bunch of rounds through my xd9 without any hiccups...with that said, it is never a bad idea to have few spare parts laying around...many people go with Don's guide rod, but it is not captive. Even so, I've heard it is still very easy for field stripping and cleaning. I personally do not have one, but have been thinking about Don's guide rod a lot recently.

You can get the captive guide rod here if you want to go with factory...
OEM #42 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG Service - Recoil Assembly XD5190

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was in the same boat recently. Was getting up there in rounds fired, had heard of a few breakages, and wasn't really wanting to worry about replacing the 2 spring system.

I had read about the Don's guide rod all over this forum and figured for $25 I might as well give it a try. It just came in the mail on Thursday and installed in 30 seconds without watching any of the "demo" videos and all. Very easy to do! I haven't been able to shoot with it yet, hopefully Sunday that will happen. It looks nice and the 1911 spring system is nice and easy and will be a snap to replace when the time comes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was in the same boat recently. Was getting up there in rounds fired, had heard of a few breakages, and wasn't really wanting to worry about replacing the 2 spring system.

I had read about the Don's guide rod all over this forum and figured for $25 I might as well give it a try. It just came in the mail on Thursday and installed in 30 seconds without watching any of the "demo" videos and all. Very easy to do! I haven't been able to shoot with it yet, hopefully Sunday that will happen. It looks nice and the 1911 spring system is nice and easy and will be a snap to replace when the time comes.
I was just looking at some pictures of the Don's Guide Rods and see there is a bushing that comes with it? What does that do? Thought it looked kind of small, was wondering if that is liable to break or get lost?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I was just looking at some pictures of the Don's Guide Rods and see there is a bushing that comes with it? What does that do? Thought it looked kind of small, was wondering if that is liable to break or get lost?
The bushing only serves to keep the rod aligned. I doubt there is much stress, if any, on it.

Reactions: --bullseye--

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
so the diameter of the guide rod is smaller than the diameter of the hole it sticks through...the bushing rests in the hole on the slide and acts as a retainer for the spring and a spacer for the guide rod...there is little if any chance that it would fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts