Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first pistol & I can't decide on either the 9mm or .40 cal pistol. I do want it in the 4 inch model also?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just my opinion, I bought the xd 40 and then got the efk firedragon 9mm conversion barrel. So it is the best of both worlds. i can shoot cheap 9mm or the 40 if i feel like it.

like i said just my opinion.. I would go with the 40 and then a conversion barrel, and I may be wrong but I believe with the 40 you can also buy the 357 conversion barrel that will fit. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM INCORRECT. The barrels are only 150 each.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
law_n_4_zer said:
Just my opinion, I bought the xd 40 and then got the efk firedragon 9mm conversion barrel. So it is the best of both worlds. i can shoot cheap 9mm or the 40 if i feel like it.

like i said just my opinion.. I would go with the 40 and then a conversion barrel, and I may be wrong but I believe with the 40 you can also buy the 357 conversion barrel that will fit. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM INCORRECT. The barrels are only 150 each.

Hope this helps.
+1

Although the XD45ACP is awfully tempting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
robsturg, you've got to consider why you are getting a gun. If you plan on going to the range quite a bit, keep in mind that 9mm ammo is generally cheaper.

I wanted something to shoot at the range a couple times per month and something that can be a defense weapon for my home - I went with the XD40.

Like law mentioned, you can also get the conversion barrel that allows you to fire 9mm.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great news! My buddy has been asking me advice on what 9mm to get and this may be a good solution. Bigger caliber for HD and smaller (cheaper) caliber for the range (he would also need to practice in the 40 too).

So is the additional barrel the only thing he would have to buy to convert to a 9mm...no new mags etc?

Where can i find more info on where to get the extra barrel?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know I said that I have the conversion barrel, I do want to point out that it is a good target practice barrel but at this time I would not rely on it for protection. I have failure to Eject problems with the 9mm rounds. Take a look at this thread http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=28537 I would also look around on this forum for conversion barrels or efk fire dragon barrels there is alot of information out there on these barrels. You can also get them from pistol-gear.com if they have them instock or just search online for them. There are numerous places you can get them.

Also the 40 mags will work but some say that you may need to adjust the lips on the magazine.. I personally bought some 9mm magazines to use with the conversion barrel. That way I do not have to adjust my 40 mags.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Meh, I say just stick with a 9mm or a .40. If you have the loot to spare get the .40 because the ammo is quite a bit more than 9mm but remember the key is to hit the target. I prefer 9mm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Guys.

I've got the same problem. With the slide off the frame, insert a 9mm bullet into the extractor area. You will now see the 9mm case fits too loose (falls out) in the breech and the extractor does not hold the shell tight.

I removed my extractor and filed a small amount off the side near the base of it that contacts the slide. This allows it to move farther twords the center and now holds the 9mm case tightly. This was not enough of a change to affect how the gun works when shooting .40 cal.

I'm having intermittant problems with ejection, (not extraction). This may be solved by installing a lighter return spring.

If anyone wants to send me their e-mail addres I will send photos of the area I filed down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
law_n_4_zer said:

Hope this helps.
I had this idea suggested to me when I was complaining recently about the expense of .40 cal cartridges. I wrote Springfield asking about it and what I got back was a statement that the firing mechanism is different, and that several things had to be changed to "convert" the .40 to a 9. Their suggestion was to forget it... or buy a new one, as getting all the stuff done to the .40 for the conversion would cost as much.

Springmom

·
Registered
409 Posts
springmom said:
I had this idea suggested to me when I was complaining recently about the expense of .40 cal cartridges. I wrote Springfield asking about it and what I got back was a statement that the firing mechanism is different, and that several things had to be changed to "convert" the .40 to a 9. Their suggestion was to forget it... or buy a new one, as getting all the stuff done to the .40 for the conversion would cost as much.

Springmom
this coming from the company that wants to sell you one more firearm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From what I've seen there is no difference between the .40 and the 9mm other than the breech face on the .40 is a little wider. I've also heard they both use the same extractor.

You can convert a .40 to 9mm or .357 sig, but you can not convert a 9mm to anything larger cause the larger dia. shells wont fit in the narrower 9mm breech.

Springfield told me the recoil springs are the same for the 9mm and the .40 at 18 lbs. each. I guessed the smaller lighter 9mm would use a little lighter spring than the .40 does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Leonard said:
From what I've seen there is no difference between the .40 and the 9mm other than the breech face on the .40 is a little wider. I've also heard they both use the same extractor.

You can convert a .40 to 9mm or .357 sig, but you can not convert a 9mm to anything larger cause the larger dia. shells wont fit in the narrower 9mm breech.

Springfield told me the recoil springs are the same for the 9mm and the .40 both a 18 lbs. I guessed the smaller lighter 9mm would use a little lighter spring than the .40 does.
:idea: That was it. She said the breech face was different and that you could not just trade out barrels. Very interesting to hear otherwise.

If what they wanted was to get me to buy another gun, they will have accomplished their goal as soon as I save up for the ne XD-45 :lol:

Springmom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yea thats a good idea.

What I'd like to know is if or when the .45 will be available in all three sizes especially the sub-compact.

Randy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts