Springfield XD Forum banner

XD9 or PPS

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  agalindo 
#1 ·
I've just about nailed my choice to an XD9 or Walther PPS. Can anybody that has both weapons give me some feedback? I'd be happy with either weapon, just hope there are some insights that I've not thought about.

I'll stick to 9mm. With the cheaper ammo, I can shoot more and become more proficient.... I'm a concealed weapons permit holder in Arizona. Basically, I'll carry OWB, preferably in a paddle type holster.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.

#3 · (Edited)
I've just about nailed my choice to an XD9 or Walther PPS. Can anybody that has both weapons give me some feedback? I'd be happy with either weapon, just hope there are some insights that I've not thought about.

I'll stick to 9mm. With the cheaper ammo, I can shoot more and become more proficient.... I'm a concealed weapons permit holder in Arizona. Basically, I'll carry OWB, preferably in a paddle type holster.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.
My uncle just purchased the new Walther PPS and I had the opportunity to play with it. As far as it being concealable it absolutely beats my XD sub compact, but like anything else there's pro's and con's.
Myself I'm in the market for a smaller handgun because if its easier to carry obviously I will carry it more, too many times my lazy butt leaves my pistol in the car because its uncomfortable and I don't feel like dealing with it.
A few months ago I bought one of those Keltec pocket pistols, I felt like I was carrying a squirt gun to a gun fight, zero confidence(returned it). You can actually put the Walther in your pocket with a holster imagine that a real gun that fits in your pocket!
My uncle is a big guy just like me, but the Walther was so thin he was able to buy a IWB holster and actually be comfortable with it, surely there will be an OWB holster that will easily accommodate that pistol actually I think Walther sells one.
I will probably buy a Walther strictly for Conceal and Carry in the near future.

#4 ·
That is a great question and one I have had myself recently. I own the XD9SC and love it. I have put over 3500 rounds through it and have never and I mean never had an FTF or an FTE. I keep logs on all my guns and record ammo used & rounds fired among other things. It eats anything and everything and is very accurate for a 3" barrel. I even qualified sharpshooter in IDPA with it.

As you may know already, the XD is a little thick and can be difficult to conceal depending on how you carry it. I personally have an IWB holster from Rafter S that has a good cant but rides pretty high so the grip will poke out sometimes. I have the Pearce grip extension so I can get a good grip and not hang my pinky off.

I have been reading a lot about the PPS lately and while it looks like an extremely concealable gun based on the width which is 1". It's a single stack 9mm with either 6, 7, or 8 round mags available, but the Walther forum is pretty full of people who have had both FTF issues and trigger reset problems. Based on the issues I have had with my Sig P250 lately, I am not about to buy a gun that has any reported problems and I am really reluctant to buy any newly issued firearms (less than 5 years old). It seems like the gun manufacturers are using their customers as QC testbeds anymore. I read a lot of reports about chronic issues with new guns. It seems that low price drives the market now, not reliability. I bought the Sig thinking that I would never have any issues. Their motto is "To hell and back reliability" after all. This P250 has given me enough confidence to label it "To the gunsafe and back reliability."

I purchased the XDm 9 a week ago based on the stellar results I have had from the XDSC. I am a believer and when I get my XDm back from the good folks at PRP I intend to shoot every local meet I can with it.

Before you buy that PPS, I recommend you read the Walther forum about it extensively. If you are going to use that gun for SD, it's got to be as close to 100% reliable as you can get.

#5 ·
I'm still an XD fan, heck I own two, but I'm looking into getting a PPS for CCW they are so thin and light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.