Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought my XD9 and plan to use it in IDPA and want to know what mods I can do and still be in the stock service pistol class?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You May:

1. sights, must be post and notch type
2. skate tape, grip mods as long as they are not weighted grips.
3. trigger work
4. internal reliability work
5. replace barrel with one of factory config.
6. custom finishes
No matter what, the XD is in the ESP division.

No No's:

1. optical sights, or ghost ring sights
2. heavy barrels
3. guide rods that are heavier than the factory oem
4. weights of any kind
5. porting of barrels of compensators

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Out of the box, the XD is in ESP. Reason? The XD is in the class all by itself! :)

INCLUSIVE list of permitted modifications: (If it's not on this list, it can't be used in Defensive Pistol competition.)

· Change of sights to another notch and post type
· Change of grips (no weighted grips)
· Internal accuracy work to include replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration
· Internal reliability work
· Checker frontstrap and backstrap
· Checker or square and checker trigger guard
· Cosmetic checkering/serrating
· Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and grip safeties
· Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel
· Change of hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull
· Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions
· Custom finishes

NON-INCLUSIVE list of EXCLUDED modifications:

· Heavy barrels, cone barrels and/or barrel sleeves (factory or aftermarket)
· Porting of barrels
· Compensators
· Add on weights, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, extended dust covers
· Sights of non-standard notch and post configuration
· Extended oversize magazine release buttons
· Trigger shoes

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you've been shooting for a while trigger and sights would be the first mods I would do but only after a couple thousand rounds. Who knows you just might like it the way it is. Showing up to your first match with a stock gun leaves you open to enjoy yourself. I look for amazing things from those that carry amazing guns! :wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I passed my 'Match Conduct Class' that they made me take before competing in an IDPA match here, but I didnt have the XD then. Next weekend will be my first IDPA match.

Can I add the Magwell and Frame Plug for XD? The reason I ask is becuase when I am practicing I am finding that my mag changes are slow and clumsy.

Ok...I see in the post above that the mag well flare should be ok....

Now how useful are the electric ear muffs? I look around and see that they are hard to find for less than $100. Am I really going to need them? My old muffs seem to be fine.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
cheapo said:
Can I add the Magwell and Frame Plug for XD? The reason I ask is becuase when I am practicing I am finding that my mag changes are slow and clumsy.
Sure you can. However, I highly recommend you practice you mag swaps while watching TV. Put on your holster, your mag pouches, and get 3 mags. Draw, dry fire, drop make (with retion), reload, point and pull, drop mag (with retention), reload, point and pull, drop mag.

If you do this a few dozens time a night for a week, you will swap mags with your eyes closed.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered one for mine; Old School thinks it will fit. Pause a fraction of a second just before inserting the mag to confirm you are lined up. I hear where you're coming from; the bottom of my mag well is beginning to look like the surface of the moon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The electric muffs make for a safer range plus you can hear when your buddies are talk'in smack behind you! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
125 Posts
As far as the electric muffs, I have a pair that I've been using for a year and they only cost me $25.00. They are sold through a construction equipment outfit (they aren't as slim and compact as the ones you generally see, but they work great! They're the same size as your typical muffs).

I'll get some particulars tomorrow.

And as far as the mag changes, take it from Old School. With some practice you'll be amazed at how you will improve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts