Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've had my XD9 for a about 3 months and last night I noticed that when a mag is inserted and seated properly, the magazine release button goes a bit slack and actually rattles a little bit. There doesn't seem to be any functional problem with releasing the mag or anything. The mag catch is properly engage into the cut out on the mag, yet there seems to be about a millimeter of slack,left and right, in the mag release button. With the mag removed, the slack goes away and the mag button feels fully supported by the spring tension. I can't recall it had always been like this or not?

Has anyone run into the same issue with their XD9 or XD40?

Cheers,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Verm,

Both. I pulled the slide off of the frame and the removed the base pad, spring and follower out of the mag , to have closer look and I still get the slack in the button.

Do you have XD9 (Full Size) also? If you do, could you check yours to see if you have the same condition? Just slap a mag in and see if the mag release button has a bit of free play side to side. Mine jiggles left and right about a 1mm or so, no play up and down though. It's kinda of annoying hearing it rattle around. I never paid much attention to it till last night, so I can't recall if it did it when I bought it or after I shot it. I've only got at most 150rd through it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a XD9 service (4") and it does the same thing with two out of my six mags. It also does it with a couple of modified mags. Doesn't seem to effect operation at all - I use it for carry, IDPA and DSM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a XD9 service (4") and it does the same thing with two out of my six mags. It also does it with a couple of modified mags. Doesn't seem to effect operation at all - I use it for carry, IDPA and DSM.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've not had this problem at all. But that might be because my finances still suck and I don't have an XD yet!

:x :x :x :x :x

Fact is, I wish I had that problem!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not really a problem and is due to manufacturing tolerances. Whats happening is that the catch is not going as deep into the mag slot on some mags as others. Not as deep = looser button due to the catch not being able to return as far and hold tension on the biutton.
The fix is to open the slot hole in the mag. First..find the best fitting mag and the worst fitting mag. Clean the area around the slot holes with alcohol and "paint" them with magic marker. (poor mans DyeChem!) Insert the mags with no slide or base plates several times. Compare marks on the marked areas. The loose button will be with the mag that has the tighter fitting slot. The fix is to open the slot but keep it square. Use a small file.
REMEMBER three things!
1...It's easier to remove metal than to put it back.
2...It will take a lot of widening and a lot of lowering to affect XD mag performance but it will only take a little of raising it too much to ruin the mag. To high and the mag will flop around up and down in the well.
3...Always beat on, file on, saw on and bleed on the cheapest part in case you ruin it.
Good luck and keep yer powder dry, Mac
www.shootiniron.com
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I fixed it.

I filed down the sides of the magazine catch on both sides of the "catch/nub/raised part that goes into the hole in the mag" at an angle until the mag release stopped rattling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts