Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize, I'm sure everyone is sick of Holster threads, but hey, I'm new to the XD, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

My situation is this: I did extensive research on many IWB holsters because that will be my main method of carry, and ordered a Milt Sparks Executive Companion that I'll receive in 10-16 weeks. Therefore, I need something I can use while I'm waiting. I'm looking for a decent OWB holster to round out my options, but I don't want anything too expensive as I already know that I like the Milt Sparks and will be using that most of the time once it arrives. I used a Kydex Uncle Mike's Belt Slide holster during my CCW class, and it did the job, but I'd prefer leather if I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it as well as a bit of a cant, which that one didn't have. I'm looking at the Don Hume Open Top, but it appears as if the trigger guard isn't completely covered. I haven't seen one in person, so I can't tell if it's to the point that I'd worry about it.

What should I be looking at that I can get fairly quickly to tide me over until my quality Milt Sparks arrives?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you notice, almost all of Hume's holsters do not provide 100% trigger guard coverage, they cover more than enough of it though and there's not really any way for the trigger to be pulled since the trigger itself is covered.

There are very few kydex solutions out there that do cover 100% of the trigger.

[http://www.dillionprecision.com]Dillon Precision[/url] has some fairly good quality holsters but then again you may not want to spend $50+ on one. Most OWB leather is going to run you at least $50, the open top is an exception.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, the term 'trigger guard is covered" is fairly subjective.
Like mentioned if you cant get to the trigger while the gun is holstered, then its perfect. That is all you want to cover.
Look at it this way, while Im designing and making holsters, I have to think about all hand sizes and presentation styles. I have to leave enough room below the grip to get a proper and whole grip on the gun while in the holster.
At the same time covering the trigger. Doing this wth all cants and rd hts is a trick sometimes. Balance in design.
The Sparks rig you get will be very very nice. Hume leather is actually quite good for the money but doesnt compare to Sparks. You DO get what you pay for.
Shoot well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts