Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, This is my first of many post's to come. I am new to this site and excited at the amount of information here.

I purchased an XD-9 last year and have only been out a couple of times to shoot it. I noticed it shot way left and I understand about me maybe causing that. I had the night sights installed at Springfield when I purchased the weapon and have since noticed the front sight is not even close to being centered. I thought about sending it to Springfield to correct but my job keeps me OCONUS 8 months out of the year. I make my living as a mechanic so I have the skills needed to adjust the sight. I would appreciate any info such as tips on adjusting them, specific tool recomended, etc.

Thanks in advance

TYBOY

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Call Springfield Armory, get a Return Authorization, and send the slide back.

My wife's new, out-of-the-box XD-9SC arrived with Trijicon night sights; the front sight was so loose it would slide out of the dovetail, and the rear sight was installed touching the left index line.

The slide was returned in 12 days turnaround time with a new front sight. They did not address the rear sight issue, since I had not had a chance to verify its accuracy at the range. It, of course, shot waaaaay left when I did sight it in. The gunsmith at the range was able to use a sight pusher to properly align the rear sight between the slide's index lines, and it's dead on now.

This forum has had a large volume of posts concerning issues regarding the improper alignment of SA factory installed sights. Whereas their customer service is second to none, I would suggest their quality control could use some improvement.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

A lot of new XD shooters shoot the XD low and left at first (me included).
Well, low and left if you're right handed.
It took me a few range trips to get accustomed to the XD trigger.
Perhaps give a little more time, and/or have someone else shoot it and see if they get the same results.
But I do feel the front sight should be centered so a trip back to SA may be in order.

Do a search on the forum for sight adjustment.
The stock sights are usually very tight and difficult to move without a proper sight pusher.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Should you decide to tackle the problem yourself, please know that XD sights are known for being notoriously difficult to adjust without the proper sight pusher. And the tritium night sight vials are that much more subject to breakage should you attempt to drift the sights into proper position.

As far as a rule of thumb for actual sight adjustment, remember the anacronym FORS..to adjust the point of impact, move the Front sight Opposite - Rear sight Same; that is if you wish to move your point of impact right, the front sight will need to be moved left, and if adjusting the rear sight, the movement would be to the right.

I believe that if you search the forum, you will find links to appropriate (though expensive) sight pushers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most competent gunsmiths and top gun stores have sight pushers but you have use one that will not push on the top of the fiber optic sight. If you have a good pusher it will take less than 30 seconds to do the job. You can do it yourself with a poly drive rod if it is a factory sight. Not a good idea to use a metal drift punch or other metal objects as it will mar you slide.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Make SURE whoever you choose to move the sights has already done it on an XD, most XDs are in a different ballpark when it come to being stubborn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts