Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new XD9 Service this morning and just got back from the range. Shot 100 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of the UMC JHPs. Pistol functioned perfectly... and I couldn't believe the accuracy at 10 yards. This is my first pistol, I have shot pistols in the past... so I'm familiar with them. But, to basically pick-up the pistol... and put 50 out of 50 in a paper plate at 10 yards just astounded me. I could keep 22 out of 25 on a large paper plate at 15 yards... need a little work there. Overall I'm very happy with the pistol... though I do seem to shoot the gun a bit low.

Here's the 7" paper plate with a 3" shoot-n-c in the center. All 50 shots hit the plate, and about 20 of those were in the black.This group was shot offhand with the 115 UMC JHPs, and were shots 51-100 out of the gun. The very first 25 rounds all hit the same size plate at 7 yards. I'm stoked!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Most defensive shots are 8-12 feet. In other words if you are 25 yards away from someone, unless you have a rifle. You are much better off finding cover, and concealment. So if you can shoot that well at the distance you stated, then you will be able to place rounds center mass.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Nice going. Great gun huh?

Put 150 through my XD9 Service today as well, it's all I could manage before I just got too darn cold. . . about 10F at the range today with knee-deep snow :D Beautiful out there though. . . .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice Shooting! Isn't it amazing how accurate a 4" barrel is? I don't consider myself a great shot but even at 20-25 yards I can hit targets with my XD9. You'll love your XD!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nice going. Great gun huh?

Put 150 through my XD9 Service today as well, it's all I could manage before I just got too darn cold. . . about 10F at the range today with knee-deep snow :D Beautiful out there though. . . .
Any issues shooting when it's that cold? Is it bad for the barrel with the heat/cold?? I've been itching to go to the range and it's been about temp that here in Anchorage.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice, just wait until you get some mods done to your gun, you'll love it even more !!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I seem to shoot this gun a little low also. If I intentionally aim high, I am right on. Not to high jack, but does SA have a shorter front sight to correct this?
After spend some time doing a bunch of dry fire exercises... I can see how I would shoot this gun slightly low (and a little left). I figure at 10 yards the round will land inside the front sight... but, I think I'll reserve judgement untill after I've got another 350 rounds through the pistol (this week I hope). The trigger seems to be getting a bit smoother... I think all total I dry fired it around 400 times. Those who don't dry fire are missing some excellent trigger time... just because it doesn't go bang... doesn't mean you can't learn a ton about your weapon.

JT

·
Registered
825 Posts
Any issues shooting when it's that cold? Is it bad for the barrel with the heat/cold?? I've been itching to go to the range and it's been about temp that here in Anchorage.
No problems at all, the XD never skipped a beat.

These guns will operate in conditions far more harsh than their operators can withstand.

As they say at Wilderness Tactical "Overkill Never Fails"

·
Registered
26 Posts
No problems at all, the XD never skipped a beat.

These guns will operate in conditions far more harsh than their operators can withstand.

As they say at Wilderness Tactical "Overkill Never Fails"
Yeah, the only time my XD absolutely will not fire is when I have gotten the magazines muddy.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I think if you look at the XD manual the sights are designed for 6 oclock hold at 25 yards and then you need to adjust from there.

The cold shouldn't affect the barrel it's not going to be heated then cooled quickly.

I only have a 200 rounds through my XD but you will quickly see that they go right where to tell them to. Once you have your grip and sight picture into muscle memory you will tighten up your groups quickly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
After spend some time doing a bunch of dry fire exercises... I can see how I would shoot this gun slightly low (and a little left). I figure at 10 yards the round will land inside the front sight... but, I think I'll reserve judgement untill after I've got another 350 rounds through the pistol (this week I hope). The trigger seems to be getting a bit smoother... I think all total I dry fired it around 400 times. Those who don't dry fire are missing some excellent trigger time... just because it doesn't go bang... doesn't mean you can't learn a ton about your weapon.

JT
+1 I dry fire all the time and benefit from it as well. Every pistol I ever bought new I shot at least 500 rounds through it before I worried about dependability or accuracy. Well until I bought the XD, to be honest the first day I bought this gun I went from the dealer straight to the range and shot a couple hundred rounds through it without a problem. Very accurate too right out of the box even at 25yds. I've got around a 1000 rounds and it just gets better.:D

·
Registered
855 Posts
Those who don't dry fire are missing some excellent trigger time... just because it doesn't go bang... doesn't mean you can't learn a ton about your weapon.
+1. After buying a couple traditional DA/SA pistols last month I have to say dry firing them has helped me a great deal in getting used to the DA trigger pull, which is very different from the XD.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I seem to shoot this gun a little low also. If I intentionally aim high, I am right on. Not to high jack, but does SA have a shorter front sight to correct this?
Make sure you aren't using too much pinky finger in your grip. That's what did it for me. Once I gave it less pinky and just a tad more thumb strength I was dead on!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only gun I've had temperature issues with is the .22 conversion on my SIG 226. I use Slide Glide on my SIGs since they like lots of lube. And all has been well until I was out on a day when the temperature was just below 20f and the .22 wouldn't run through a complete magazine of slow fire, rapid fire or any combination of the two. Cleaned it off and shot it down with my usual default lube (sewing machine oil) and it ran like the little Swiss watch that it usually acts like. The metal doesn't care about little 70 or 80 degree variations in temperature. But the lube sure will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts