Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was giving my new XD9 Service pistol the initial "once over" after receiving it Thursday. I found that the rear slide "rails" are not metal, but part of the molded polymer frame. The only metal slide rails are located at the center of the frame length, part of the Locking Block (Item 4 on the parts list in the manual) . Granted, the Locking Block slide rails are large, but I was expecting the rear slide guide "rails" to be metal as well, as in other comparably priced and quality guns (even the S&W SD9). This is a little disappointing to me, as a metal slide riding in a polymer guide equals
higher than normal wear in my mind. Should I be so concerned. Should I lubricate this area differently than the Locking Block Slide guides ?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Lubricate as usual, and don't expect to see wear marks any time soon ... There are many guns with +10,000 rounds through them, and not showing wear, or if they are, it's not being reported.
Mine has +13,000 and shows no signs of wear.

The polymer being used in today's firearms is a very tough material, and highly resistant to wear.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I was giving my new XD9 Service pistol the initial "once over" after receiving it Thursday. I found that the rear slide "rails" are not metal, but part of the molded polymer frame. The only metal slide rails are located at the center of the frame length, part of the Locking Block (Item 4 on the parts list in the manual) . Granted, the Locking Block slide rails are large, but I was expecting the rear slide guide "rails" to be metal as well, as in other comparably priced and quality guns (even the S&W SD9). This is a little disappointing to me, as a metal slide riding in a polymer guide equals
higher than normal wear in my mind. Should I be so concerned. Should I lubricate this area differently than the Locking Block Slide guides ?
Like AZXD stated , I also agree those Polymer rails will outlast all of us on this forum.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Yup, in contrast my HK USP has tiny little whispers of metal imbedded in the plastic frame and I have zero confidence in thier longevity. The massive rear rails of the XD family will last forever.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
polymer is self lubricating on metal. You would get MORE wear if it was metal on metal.

Still, I use a toothpick and syn-grease for that warm and fuzzy you get when you've just done something that probably makes no difference but makes you feel better all the same.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Not one person ever in the 11 years of XDTalk has ever reported the the rear rails of an XD or HS2000 has worn down. I personally own over 40 of the pistols some with 10s of thousands or rounds over 10yrs with no wear marks what so ever. My gen1 HS2000 you can still see the mold marks in the rear rails. The rear rails of the XD are not a bearing surface the locking block is what is the bearing surface.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep no wear marks on my 4 year old xd 9 yet

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Simply not an issue.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
don't think those rear guides take much stress - most stress would be on the front guides since recoil is back and up. The rear guides just ... well they just guide.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Regardless, A life time warranty insures that IF a problem did arise they will fix it.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Not one person ever in the 11 years of XDTalk has ever reported the the rear rails of an XD or HS2000 has worn down. I personally own over 40 of the pistols some with 10s of thousands or rounds over 10yrs with no wear marks what so ever. My gen1 HS2000 you can still see the mold marks in the rear rails. The rear rails of the XD are not a bearing surface the locking block is what is the bearing surface.
Bingo. Don't sweat the polymer stuff. My gen1 HS2000 was made in Oct. 1999, and the rear slide rails look just fine. The majority of the work is done by the front slide rails, and there is more metal in the XD/HS2k front slide rails than there is in all 4 slide rails of the Glock combined. Ever heard of anyone complaining about the small slide rails of the Glock being a problem? Neither have I.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank for your responses on this matter...I feel relieved and confident that my concerns have been mitigated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts