Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My XD9 fires a round, then doesn't cycle all the way forward to cock and shoot the next round. I've tried different ammo, but same result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks busykngt.
I think I'll send it to SA and see what they can do.
Btw... I also have the same pistol w 45acp and have never had this issue... 2-3 thousands rounds down range w/ no issues

·
Premium Member
17,702 Posts
Hello,
My XD9 fires a round, then doesn't cycle all the way forward to cock and shoot the next round. I've tried different ammo, but same result.
Obvious questions...
  • Have you stripped it down and cleaned it?
  • What kind of lube are you using?
  • If you bang the back of the slide, will it go back into battery?
  • Is the cocking indicator sticking out the back of the slide?
  • Have you tried with just one round in the mag? Insert mag with one round, rack the slide, fire one round, what happens?
  • Pic of the open chamber when it hangs?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
If you gave it a good cleaning (especially the ramp on the barrel. rails. and extractor) and you are not using super cheap iron casings, you should not have any problem at all. I suppose it is possible that your recoil spring has gone limp, but that is not a common problem. Like others, my XD has had thousands of rounds with zero failures that were not attributable to magazine spring issues. Gun still cycles through the mag; it doesn't always lock open after the last round. Also, make sure the recoil spring is seated all the way up. It has never moved on me, but I didn't get it in place once and my gun let me know it wasn't happy about my re-assembly job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obvious questions...
  • Have you stripped it down and cleaned it?
  • What kind of lube are you using?
  • If you bang the back of the slide, will it go back into battery?
  • Is the cocking indicator sticking out the back of the slide?
  • Have you tried with just one round in the mag? Insert mag with one round, rack the slide, fire one round, what happens?
  • Pic of the open chamber when it hangs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Zanderman
I do clean it regularly. Using Remington oil and it just doesn't cycle all the way forward after the first round is shot. (The cocked indicator doesn't show)
Going out this weekend and I'll try the other suggestions and take a pic
Best Regards,
Great verse in Roman's!
When we proclaim Jesus' death and resurrection, we are more than conquerors!
Blessings,
Auggiedaddy
Romans 12:1,2

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do clean it regularly. Using Remington oil and it just doesn't cycle all the way forward after the first round is shot.
Well, that leaves my guess out (...that it just needed a good cleaning).
When you say it doesn’t go “all the way forward”... you mean it doesn’t return to battery, ready to fire again? In my way of thinking, it seems like there may be an issue with the recoil spring. Maybe it’s time to replace the recoil spring? Yeah, a picture might help.
Your grip - thumb placement (etc.), isn’t causing a drag on the slide, right?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
When you lock the slide open and hit the release, does your XD almost violently strip a round and get into battery? My XDm goes into battery hard enough that it causes the front of the muzzle to dip down a bit.

Your load indicator and the ejector pin are the main two parts resisting going into battery (the other things are slide friction and how tight the mag is). The load indicator lever should be loose enough that you can move it full range with your finger. The ejector on the slide should move if you grab a snap cap or spent round and push. If those tests pass, then maybe you have a weak recoil spring.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You might see if Wolf Gun Springs offers a replacement recoil spring. Some of their offerings are known to be on the order of 10% stronger which may help in your case, without adversely effecting extraction & case ejection.

·
Premium Member
17,702 Posts
Thanks Zanderman
I do clean it regularly. Using Remington oil and it just doesn't cycle all the way forward after the first round is shot. (The cocked indicator doesn't show)
Going out this weekend and I'll try the other suggestions and take a pic
Best Regards,

Great verse in Roman's!
When we proclaim Jesus' death and resurrection, we are more than conquerors!
Blessings,
Auggiedaddy
Romans 12:1,2
I have had about 4K rounds through my XD9 Service, and the only failures have been due to bullet design. I am not a "clean it every range trip" kind of guy... I just let it run.

So hopefully a new recoil spring will help but I've never replaced mine. Looking forward to a report from your range trip.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Hello,
When you see the stoppages, would you please take some pictures of the stoppage "in-situ?"

I'd like to see these areas in-particular:

• The chamber: angle and focus the camera as best possible so that we can see "inside" and under the barrel hood, into the chamber area, to see what state the incoming cartridge is in, in the chamber area. Attempt pictures from both the top and the side (on the side with the cut-out, of-course), if-possible.
  • The barrel hood itself: this also with the gun field-stripped so as to focus on this area. I'd like to see if there's signs that it's peened-over or otherwise damaged. I'd like to see the area of the slide which mates with this area, too, so that's another set of pix.
  • The barrel lugs. The gun will need to be disassembled here, of-course. From all three sides. I'd like to see if there's any damage.
  • The locking block. If you can strip this out, all the better, but this will require a detail strip, which you may or may not be comfortable with. I'd like to see if there's any damage of the locking block.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts