Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. Just bought a new XD9 Service which I bought mainly for 1) home defense, 2) target practice, and 3) CCW down the road. If SA offered a compact XD9 similar to the compact XD45 (4" barrel), I would have bought it instead. However, I called SA a couple weeks ago and they said that they had no plans to release one, though they considered it for 2007. I had considered the XD9 Sub-compact, but I'm not interested in the 3" barrel.

My question, is there any way that I can modify my XD9 Service to make it a Compact? It would be the best of both worlds - compact handle for CCW, add the extended clip to turn it into a service model.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have heard of other guys on here doing a grip chop.

I do not know all of the details but im sure if you look around enough you can find some more info on the idea

Cadet Wilson

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have heard of other guys on here doing a grip chop. I do not know all of the details but im sure if you look around enough you can find some more info on the idea
You're right, just did a search for grip chop and found the discussions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own both the XD9 service and XD9 compact. The compact is what I carry every day due to its size and weight. The XD9 service is for home protection and because I like pistols............;-)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own both the XD9 service and XD9 compact. The compact is what I carry every day due to its size and weight. The XD9 service is for home protection and because I like pistols............;-)
You must mean the XD9 sub-compact.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
not if he had a grip chop done!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might find that the Service model isn't that hard to conceal. I have both the Service and Subcompact, carry them both but anytime I can get away with the full-cap mag I feel better. Five rounds is a J-frame.

If you need to be really sneaky and covert, get the SC and put it in a Smartcarry. Otherwise, dress around those 17 rounds and be happy. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, new to the forum. Just bought a new XD9 Service which I bought mainly for 1) home defense, 2) target practice, and 3) CCW down the road. If SA offered a compact XD9 similar to the compact XD45 (4" barrel), I would have bought it instead. However, I called SA a couple weeks ago and they said that they had no plans to release one, though they considered it for 2007. I had considered the XD9 Sub-compact, but I'm not interested in the 3" barrel.

My question, is there any way that I can modify my XD9 Service to make it a Compact? It would be the best of both worlds - compact handle for CCW, add the extended clip to turn it into a service model.
Here's a related question - is it possible to put a 4" XD9 barrel and slider on a XD45 Compact frame? I'm guessing that the 9mm magazines won't fit, but wanted to ask.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Here's a related question - is it possible to put a 4" XD9 barrel and slider on a XD45 Compact frame? I'm guessing that the 9mm magazines won't fit, but wanted to ask.
No the XD45 frame is larger and is not interchangeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean when you say SA doesn't offer an XD9 compact. If they don't, then I don't know what the gun I have been shooting for the past month is...and before somebody says it is a sub-compact, it isn't, cause the girlfriend has that.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean when you say SA doesn't offer an XD9 compact. If they don't, then I don't know what the gun I have been shooting for the past month is...
XD9 Sub Compact perhaps?

(What does it say on the left side of the slide?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
XD9 Sub Compact perhaps?

(What does it say on the left side of the slide?)
Just says "XD-9". I know it isn't the sub-compact, but I bought it at a local dealer and it was advertised as "XD9 Compact". I just checked online, and sure enough there isn't a 9mm compact model. I know it isn't the subbie, so I dunno. Got 16 round mags, and all that, so I guess it's the service model? What are the differences between that and a compact?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just says "XD-9". I know it isn't the sub-compact, but I bought it at a local dealer and it was advertised as "XD9 Compact". I just checked online, and sure enough there isn't a 9mm compact model. I know it isn't the subbie, so I dunno. Got 16 round mags, and all that, so I guess it's the service model? What are the differences between that and a compact?
Yep, it's a Service model then.

The Compact (.45) has a shorter grip than the .45 Service.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to get hold of Springer Precision and pay them to do the grip chop on my XD9 Svc. No hurry though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to get hold of Springer Precision and pay them to do the grip chop on my XD9 Svc. No hurry though.
Their grip chop with the stippling looks very cool.

Be sure to post us some pics to drool over when you get it done :D

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
No the XD45 frame is larger and is not interchangeable.
The frame and slide are nearly identical, here is my 40 slide ( same as the 9mm ) on my 45 Compact frame. Problem is the internals of
the 45Compact are in a little different location than the 40/9mm. So yes you can swap them, no you can't shoot them lol.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I shopped this a long time ago, my old 9mm Service with the grip length of the Sub-Compact:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts