Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot my xd9 often at 25 yards with a 8 inch shootnc target. Most of the time my grouping is to the left of the target. . I tend to pull to the left when engaging a trigger that has a pull greater then 4lbs when doing freestanding shooting.(Dominate Right). When benching it shoots pretty straight.

I decided to adjust the stock fixed sights slightly to the right. Wow what a difference. I am able to hit a 6 inch target now with less effort and very consistently.

I noticed my sight moved with such little force using a brass punch and hammer. This is on a bitone slide. I attempted adjust my other xd but the sights were on there good. I guess i got lucky with the looseness of my sights on the bitone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some unasked for advice would be to install a Powder River trigger. My leftward groupings disappeared immediately.
The only problem with adjusting your sights to compensate for a flawed shooting technique is this: What happens when you are in a combat situation, and you override your nerves to make that perfect, life-saving shot, only to miss because your sights aren't tuned for accuracy any more?
I'm not trying to offend as, God knows, I am far from perfect. But I would hate to see you settle for a quick fix, when proper form and training are the only things that you can count on when the chips are down.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Low and/or left is the sign of a new XD shooter..
How long have you been shooting your XD9?

Benching it, your pistol shoots straight?
So instead of improving your shooting, you moved the sights to make up for your lack of skill.
That makes sense..

Also 25 yards, really?
That is 75 feet.

You gun someone down at 75 feet in a self defense situation, you're gonna need a great lawyer.

I only practice at practical self defense distances..
Perhaps you do not...:-|

·
Registered
340 Posts
Also 25 yards, really?
That is 75 feet.

You gun someone down at 75 feet in a self defense situation, you're gonna need a great lawyer.

I only practice at practical self defense distances..

Maybe he likes to shoot armadillos or pests on his land with his handgun?

Or maybe just practicing accuracy? I'd think if you can learn to shoot accurately at 75 feet, he probably could hit something at 20 feet :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Maybe he likes to shoot armadillos or pests on his land with his handgun?

Or maybe just practicing accuracy? I'd think if you can learn to shoot accurately at 75 feet, he probably could hit something at 20 feet :roll:
Maybe you missed my last comment.
Here it is again so you will not have to scroll up..:roll:

My point was, if the gun is accurate on a bench, learn to shoot the gun.
Moving the sights to make up for a shooter's inaccuracy doesn't make much sense.
I shot my first XD low and left the first range trip, the problem is well documented on this forum.
It just took a little practice to get accustomed to the trigger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe you missed my last comment.
Here it is again so you will not have to scroll up..:roll:

My point was, if the gun is accurate on a bench, learn to shoot the gun.
Moving the sights to make up for a shooter's inaccuracy doesn't make much sense.
I shot my first XD low and left the first range trip, the problem is well documented on this forum.
It just took a little practice to get accustomed to the trigger.
I don't think there is any reason to be a d*ck about it. If you aren't happy with what someone wrote then don't respond to the original post. Not everyone is a superstar like you I guess.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I don't think there is any reason to be a d*ck about it. If you aren't happy with what someone wrote then don't respond to the original post.
Not everyone is a superstar like you I guess.

Not being a dick about it Sugar..
But you're correct about the last statement.
I'm more likely to better my shooting techniques than to cover up bad habits with a sight movement.

Why modify the gun for your lack of mastering it?
The gun is zeroed in, learn to shoot it.
It sets a bad example to any new shooters reading your post.

That isn't being a dick, it is an honest answer to your BS solution.

Do as you wish..
It is your gun and your faults.

BTW, I'm not the only one that didn't agree with your solution..
lonewarder took the time to make his first post critical of your post.

I'd rather have a gun that anyone can shoot accurately and not customized to my poor techniques..
It is a public forum, I'll post as I wish.:cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree that you should learn to shoot better rather than adjusting the sights to your shortcomings.

That being said, sights are not always perfect from the factory. I bought a pistol recently where the front sight was so far off to the right it wasn't even funny. As you can guess, the gun shot left. Front sight had to be centered.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Adjusting sights to comp for bad form (even consistently bad form) is at best a short term solution. As you shoot more, your form will improve and some day your point of impact will drift to the right. Just remember to center the sights back to where they belong.

It's your gun, set it up as you like. Most of us would just work to improve the human side of the equation, but if you are happy that's fine by me.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I am going to try to get into some classes and spend some time with mine. I know it's probably more accurate than I am.

my buddy has a ruger p89 10 shot 9mm he was having all kinds of problems with. he couldn't really load the mags that well and it was rough feeling. accuracy issues.

I went out with some supplies and wanted to clean it before we went to the range.

he wanted to clean it when we got back but I insisted on cleaning before.

a good scrub with some rem oil and greasing it up to get it sliding right it was like a new gun. shooting a flood of rem oil in the mags and working the followers made it a lot better to feed and load.

it got him on paper at 30 feet and that's when he realized the previous owner had drifted the sights to make up for lack of technique.

my point is it would seem small details mean a lot with being able to even tell if its you or the weapon. he couldn't find paper at 21 feet last time. he shot my .40 pretty well but his 9mm was scary inaccurate. now he is going to center the rear sight and see how he does.

I think it will be like a brand new gun and he will be able to do something with it.

right now its so smooth and easy his only complaint is capacity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you do at shorter distances. If I did ok, I would be reluctant to change my sights, I would be more apt to receive training and try to practice the flaw out of my shooting. There has been a lot of helpful replies to your post, sometimes these things read different than have been written, if you take my meaning. Any way you handle it, is up to you. when you put it out there you'll get all kinds of responses.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I personally have to agree with an earlier post that grouping to the left is the sign if a new XD shooter... I put my first 100 rounds through my XD40 and grouped left at 15, 25, and 35 feet... I don't have this problem with any of my other pistols because of practice...

That said, my last magazine's worth shot quite near where I eyed it.. Hopefully I can get out regularly to hone this.

To the OP, good luck brother! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought I was the only one (until I read this forum) - at 30ft the first 20 rounds were left in the 9's, it took some time to get use to the grip and trigger. Rounds 80-100 were on x or slightly left but in the 10's and much tighter. I'm going to change to the smaller rear strap and run some more ammo through it. I know I will be able to shoot this gun as well as I can shoot my Kimber(s).

Dave
XDm 4.5 9MM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts