Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 5 years that I have owned my XD9 (older one with the Brunial finish), I have only put 4000 rounds through it. There was a bunch initially, then a trigger job, then a bunch more. I never could get any accuracy out of mine, shot left continually, etc, etc.. So into the safe it went, and then I spent a whole bunch of years traveling (for work) and not shooting much.

So this year I find myself working without the travel, and the competition bug has bitten again. My older son likes to play, so he took my other pistol (CZ 75B), and my younger started with the Walther P22 that his brother had been using. I decided that I would finally just shoot the XD, and NOT use any other pistol for the season. My 1911 is out for parts and what not, and my CZ is in use by someone else. Perfect opportunity.

I started by reading a bunch of books since I found on starting practice that a 3x5 card was safe at 20yards, and safe about half the time even at 10. Gads I had a long way to go. So I started slow, and completely revamped my grip. Then I started on the sight picture, and learning to pull the trigger correctly (get rid of that left grouping). I got closer still, to 7 yards. Today at practice I was able to hold a 2 inch group at 7 yards while doing slow fire (1 round as soon as the sights come back from recoil, so every second or two). Of course I pulled out the CZ since my son was there (despite my earlier I won't do that statement) and did a 1 inch group. Maybe I am a bit too picky, but I want to see me be able to do that 1 inch or better with the XD. I am still having to shift my grip around after recoil, so I am not dialed all the way in yet.

We had a club defensive pistol match on Saturday, second one that I made this year. Last one was a disaster, lots of misses, shooting no-shoots, C and D shots.. etc. I finished that one at 18 out of 30. This week after 4 weeks of practice I moved up to 10 out of 30, with only one C shot. There were some really small steel targets too, and those I still have trouble with. Working on it. I had problems with my thumb on the slide lock and that cost me some time.

Oh, I have had zero issues with the shooting of this pistol. I have fed it all sorts of factory ball and hollowpoint, lead reloads, and lots of other reloads too. It just keeps digesting them.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I remember going through the same scenario. I had a good friend watch to see what I might be doing. #1 I was closing my eyes just before firing. #2 I was raising my head to see where the hit was. #3 No follow through.
I went over to the berm and fired a full mag without a specific target and really just point shooting while concentrating on not closing my eyes and not caring where the bullet hit. I went back to the target and concentrated on the front site and follow through. By doing so reduced my group size by exactly half.

EW

1 - 2 of 2 Posts