Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone--I read a lot of Forums, but seldom post cause in most of the forums it seems the favorite sport is "senior" members flaming the new guys, rather than passing along useful information.

After looking this Forum over awhile, and noticing not much of that going on here, decided to mention my XD experience.

I'm a long time 1911 and Browning HP shooter, and (used to be) skeptical of "plastic" pistols. I bought an XD9 4" Service on recommendation of a friend. After an out of the box inspection, function check and a quick clean and lube, went to the range. Put two 15 round mags of mixed FMJ and assorted brands and loads of JHP rounds (mixed up) through it as fast as I could, shooting controlled pairs. Results: Not a hiccup! Continued for a typical range session of 250 rounds of FMJ without a fault.

That week I went to Front Sight and took the 4 day Defensive Handgun class. (Excellent training, by the way!) I had intended to use either a Colt Commander or BHP for this training, but I took the XD with me as a backup. Decided to shoot the XD first day, and after that the Commander and BHP stayed in their cases. Very nimble pistol, aims naturally in my hand, safety and slide release are sized well for me and easy to use, mags dropped free every time, tactical reloads were easy. And it's accurate with a nice trigger--never felt gritty to me--that's not quite as fast as a 1911. I cleaned and lubed the XD prior to beginning the class, and intentionally NEVER TOUCHED IT AGAIN FOR 4 DAYS AND 900 ROUNDS. It did get a bit dry by day 4, but I never experienced a single malfunction (Win White Box 115 gr FMJ). And the Fobus Paddle Holster and Double Mag completes the system, and makes a great setup that's reasonably priced.

Normally, I would not "abuse" a pistol in this manner, but after field stripping for cleaning, there is no visible wear, and I am a new convert.
I still love my 1911s and BHPs, and will never give them up, but I think the XD is destined to become a classic--and I need an XD40 now! The XD9 4" Service will now be my CCW of choice.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As I head out the door headed to the range with my XDs, I can almost hear my 1911s, HP, and SIG say in unison: Hey! What are we? Chopped liver? :wink:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Right on! Robert Service is my favorite poet.

I have an XD9 tactical on layaway that I'm going to pay off on Monday, thus commencing the required 10 day waiting period with which we CAians are saddled. I hope to have my first range report before the New Year. Before Christmas would be even better. Thanks for your report

"There's a land where the mountains are nameless,
And the rivers all run God knows where.
There are lives that are erring, and aimless,
And deaths that just hang by a hair.

"There are hardships that nobody reckons,
There are valleys, unpeopleed and still.
There's a land, oh, it beckons and beckons,
And I want to go back. And I will."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts