Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my gun up today *happy dance* I can't stop staring at it and playing with it haha.

Anyway I loaded both mags and found out it holds 17 rounds in the mag alone. Plus the chamber makes 17+1. Anyone else have this experience?

BTW, I'll be getting 2 more free mags and holder thanks to SA's winter promo!!! WEEE!

-Thomas

·
Registered
132 Posts
I noticed that too. I seem to remember reading somewhere on xdtalk that it is the case, though some recommend against it.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I noticed that too. I seem to remember reading somewhere on xdtalk that it is the case, though some recommend against it.
I'm one of them. I wouldn't do it just because the Mag spring is designed for 16.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found the same thing with the one, I picked up couple of weeks ago. I only load the mag with 16 tho, I figure the stock spring is set-up for 16 so why over stress the spring by cramming the extra bullet in the mag.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Mag spring is only designed to handle 16 rounds.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
You guys must be jamming #17 in there. I have tried and can not get 17 in mine. My magazines are a few years old, maybe they are using a different spring or something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, actually 17 rounds fit easily into my mag. I just do not think the spring need to be put under that type of tension. Due to that factory mag is supposed to hold 16 rounds.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why not just buy a few extra mag springs and see how long they hold up with 17? The extra round in the mag would be worth the small cost of replacing the mag spring every few thousand rounds if that were the case.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'd be less concerned about over compressing the spring, and more concerned with bending the feed lips in the long run.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the spring. I believe it's the follower. Anyone want to disassemble a 16 & a 17 (if you can find both) and take pictures to compare? :roll:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Isn't 16+1 enough? Why chance ruining perfectly good mags? Just carry the extra fully loaded mags with you. Four mags loaded with 16 each, plus the +1 in the chamber...that's 65 rounds. If that's not enough, buy and carry more mags or even another gun and extra mags.

BTW, congrats on the new XD, ThomasA! :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh Im not loading it with 17, I just wondered if anyone else noticed or if it was a change or something. 16+1 is plenty for my tastes. Thanks.
-Thomas

·
Registered
278 Posts
Isn't 16+1 enough? Why chance ruining perfectly good mags? Just carry the extra fully loaded mags with you. Four mags loaded with 16 each, plus the +1 in the chamber...that's 65 rounds. If that's not enough, buy and carry more mags or even another gun and extra mags.
If the 17th round easily goes in, why exactly do you think would it ruin the mags? It took an act of God to get the 12th round into my XD-40 mags, and that seemed to work just fine. ;)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Isn't 16+1 enough?
You can never have enough!!! :)

I don't think it sounds like you're putting the magazine under unreasonable stress... especially like SpeedRacer says, loading 12 .40S&W in XD mags is dang tough... so I can't imagine you'll be hurting it much. They're pretty much the same mag with different lip angles.

I'd definitely test it with a hundred or two rounds at the range and if she cycles with 17... go for it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts