Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shooting XDs I'm spoiled by thier ergos and it really takes time for me to get back into the groove with my Glock 17. I've decided to sell it to raise funds for something I'll shoot more.

I'm either going to get an XD Tactical in 45 GAP, add a FO site and a CC Trigger job and use it in ESP class in IDPA. ...OR a 1911 45ACP and do the CDP class. I'm looking at GI or Milspec Springfield, RIA, Charles Daily or other entry level 1911. I'd have to add an ambi safety if doesn't come with one since I'm a lefty, but I'd otherwise leave it stock for now.
I'm leaning more towards the XD since I have a SC9 I use for daily carry and I'm more used to its operating system and feel. However, I did shoot my friends S&W 1911 at the indoor range and its accuracy and trigger feel were incredible.

Please give me your advice! Also, What class would the XD45 TAC be in IPSC? Would it fit in thier "production gun" category? So far I've only shot IDPA but would also like to try IPSC later on and use the same gun.

Thanks for your help.[/i]

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you can shoot either gun in the classes you want, buy the one that feels the best to you. The way a gun feels to you is one of the most important factors in buying a gun.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David_4 said:
If you can shoot either gun in the classes you want, buy the one that feels the best to you. The way a gun feels to you is one of the most important factors in buying a gun.
I agree with advice of choose what feels best for you... but there are some factors that might limit my decision.

This will be primarily a fun gun for competition. I can't shoot either gun in any class I want. I can't shoot the 45 GAP in IDPA CDP class and I can't shoot the 1911 in IPSC Production class for example. I guess a more precise question would be "which gun would offer more versatility in both IDPA/IPSC competition?" and "which gun/class would it be easier to compete in?" For example, I think I would shoot the XD tactical better than the 1911, but does the ESP class offer more competion than the CDP? etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you think you will shoot the XD better go with it, change caliber and shoot ESP and IPSC production. Look at shooting ESP as a challenge, and a way to improve your shooting.

·
Registered
452 Posts
FYI, for reason's I am not aware of the USPSA has deemed the XD-45 as not legal for the Production class (only 9's & 40's). Although I believe you could play in the Limited-10 class which is proably a better place for a 45 anyway so you can take advantage of major power factor scoring.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/production_list.php

I haven't tried IDPA yet but have been shooting my XD-40 in USPSA Limited-10 most of the year.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
j2fast said:
FYI, for reason's I am not aware of the USPSA has deemed the XD-45 as not legal for the Production class (only 9's & 40's).
That's good to know. USPSA and IPSC are affiliated in some way right? Do they go by the same rules?

I sent an email asking about the 45 Tactical in Production and this is the reply I got...

This input was submitted by Andy from United States:

Are ALL models of Springfield XD legal for Production Division? I am considering a XD Tactical in 45 GAP.

"Yes, all non-ported Springfield XD models are currently legal.

DVC,
Vince Pinto
IPSC Secretary

·
Registered
452 Posts
USPSA is the United States branch of IPSC (international rules) but the USPSA does operate on slightly different rules. Any match in the U.S. is going to follow USPSA rules. The USPSA has recently modified their list of pistols/rev allowed in production. This is what the Springfield seciton says:

SPRINGFIELD P9, XD , US Only, XD Models Sub-Compact, Service and Tactical in 9mm with 3", 4" and 5" barrels, 40S&W with 3", 4" and 5" barrels, and 357SIG with 3", 4" and 5" barrels
I am not the expert but I read this and have heard it interpreted as only 9 and 40 are legal in the production class under USPSA rules. If you click on the USPSA link in my previous post that takes you to the whole list (which is based on the IPSC list). Anything is RED text is where the USPSA list differs from the IPSC list. I'm pretty sure that Vince Pinto is involved only in IPSC and not the USPSA so he is likely quoting IPSC rules.

Probably the best place to get the 100% correct answer on this is at http://www.brianenos.com/forums or hit the http://www.uspsa.com site and email them directly. The Brian Enos site is an excellent resource, many of the best shooters in the US frequent the site along with most area directors, etc. (folks smarter than me :wink: ).

Edited because I typed it wrong the first time..... :x

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info and the leads J2.

Maybe I should consider either a 40 tactical or going into Limited-10 with the GAP like you said. Seems like practical shooting organizations are still figuring out what to do with the GAP.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would say if you want a GAP just go that direction and play in Limited-10 (after checking to ensure it's legal). If you're like me it's mostly all for fun anyway.

This may not matter but if it does it's likely a cheaper to shoot 40 instead of 45 Gap. Not trying to change your mind but also with 40 (if you're into reloading or want to) you could load softer loads to shoot in Production and use full loads (major power factor) for shooting Limited-10. A lot of folks swear soft (minor power factor) 40 loads shot nicer than 9mm. I haven't ventured down that road yet.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, its mainly for fun, but I'd still like to be in a division with people close to the same skill level as myself. and I'd like a gun that will give me different options as my skill (hopefully!) gets better. Seems like with either GAP or ACP its Limited-10 for IPSC. I like the idea of being able to load for minor OR major with the 40 and being able to enter production OR L-10. Its what I was thinking of doing with the GAP (downloading) before I realized its not legal for production.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
j2fast said:
I would say if you want a GAP just go that direction and play in Limited-10 (after checking to ensure it's legal).
The only aspect of Limited-10 that may come into play is the condition Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available to the general public for one year and 500 produced. I'm not certain if the "one year" provision has been met (which may also be a factor in the Production Division status). For local matches, I really doubt that anyone will care if one uses a 45GAP in Limited-10.

In addition, 9+1 with factory mags places one at a slight disadvantage.

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
I posted a response to JD's post on the USPSA Range Officer forum concerning the XD GAP in Production. The USPSA Production Gun lists "HS PRODUKT HS2000 Series". So in actuality a competitor from outside the US could use a HS 2000 in .45 GAP in Production Division in a USPSA match.

Arnisandyz
I like the idea of being able to load for minor OR major with the 40 and being able to enter production OR L-10. Its what I was thinking of doing with the GAP (downloading) before I realized its not legal for production.
You can download the GAP for IDPA ESP to 125PF and shoot major 165PF in USPSA L10 untill the GAP gets put on the Production Gun list.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
Yeah, its mainly for fun, but I'd still like to be in a division with people close to the same skill level as myself.
The way that USPSA and IPSC are structured, they have Classifications within Divisions, with the classifications denoting skill level and the division denoting type of gun. During the past six months, I have pretty much seen all skill sets in all divisions.

·
Registered
452 Posts
R Dub makes a good point at the end of his post that I wasn't thinking about as I made most of these replies during a conference call at work. :twisted:

It's likely just a matter of time before the USPSA adds the XD GAP's to the approved list. You could do L-10 this year (as long as there were 500 GAP tacticals produce as JD states) and work up a minor load. Then hopefully be able to run Production in the not so distant future.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If you get the XD40 Tactical, you can compete in L-10 and production. You would be shooting major power though in production unless you load down your .40's to say maybe 135-140 PF. A guy I shoot with was told that a 9mm conversion barrel IS NOT legal to shoot production with. A gun thats says XD40 and shoots a 9mm is not legal.
Its a great gun for USPSA, I have been seeing more and more of them out there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your help everybody. It looks like my decision is now between a 45GAP Tactical or a 40 Tactical. I'll probably still get a 1911 but that will be down the road. I really like that new stainless GAP tactical. From what I can tell, the 40 isn't available as stainless, I'd have to get it hard chromed (or leave it black).

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/gap/5in/XD9525.jpg

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you're going to use the GAP for ESP and L10, throw a magwell on it, see if you can modify the follower a bit and put a pierce extension on it. As from what I understand, the 9th round in the GAP mag is a tough squeeze, so even if you're just going 9+1, the extension will no only give you extra leeway but some more of a better handle on reloading. The pierce extensions fit inside of the official USPSA magazine 140mm gage. You're stuck with 9+1 for ESP though. I doubt the magazine can me modified enough to get ten in there.

I don't think there will be an issue with the 500 produced. I cannot imagine SA offering extra magazines for something yet if they have produced that many pistols.

I don't know why anyone would want to shoot production anyway with a 45 (gap or acp), you aren't going to get a round down low enough to be with the mousefart 40s, especially if you're shooting 230gr and be able to keep it reliable and accurate imho.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ampleworks said:
I don't know why anyone would want to shoot production anyway with a 45 (gap or acp), you aren't going to get a round down low enough to be with the mousefart 40s, especially if you're shooting 230gr and be able to keep it reliable and accurate imho.
I have a friend who hada Glock 37 GAP. He downloaded it to "mousefart" levels and it was reliable, but he said it threw the brass right into his face. He did say it was more accurate and the recoil felt less than his downloaded 40 but the brass in the face was too distracting.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
ampleworks said:
The pierce extensions fit inside of the official USPSA magazine 140mm gage.
Even so, aren't USPSA Production and L-10 limited by number of rounds in the mag (10 max at start signal) versus magazine length?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also note that the XD45 is not allowed in IDPA at all..........yet. I called the headquarters a few weeks ago and they told me........ "nope, not yet."

I wanted to shoot my XD45 in IDPA here in Maryland, but I'm limited to my XD9 for now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts