Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife has (and loves!) an XD45c, which she shoots very well. She typically shoots el cheapo WWB and Sellier & Bellot ammo, and doesn't have any problems.

She also has some Federal Hydra-Shok JHP that she shoots occasionally, and she's had a few jams with that. The jam is always the same: a nose-dive into the magazine. See the photo (sorry for the crappy cell phone photo):

Today she fired one round and it jammed. Pull the slide back slightly, and the round pops up and chambers just fine. She fired another round; same thing. I then fired four or five rounds, and didn't have a problem.

Does this sound like simple limp-wristing? And for some reason the Federal is more susceptible to it than her other ammo?

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Does it happen when you shoot it?
If not, she's not holding it firmly enough OR is riding the slide down as she loads the first round.

Use a small piece of tape on the bottom plate of each magazine, marking them with a number.

Every time it happens, make a note of which magazine was in.
Is it always the same mag?

Line up your mags with ONE round in each.
Do they all hold the round at the same angle, or does one of them hold the round much less with the bullet tip 'up'? If so, that mag has a bent feed lip or some other flaw or damage.

Be sure to store and transport your mags in a protective cover, don't toss them to the bottom of your range bag or the feed lips could be bent.

Let us know what happens, all my XD's feed all ammo perfectly except Wolf steel jacket which is iffy.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It hasn't happened to me, though she puts 95% of the rounds through the gun.

Yes, it's always been the same mag . . . but it's generally the only mag she uses.

Good suggestions; thanks for the detailed reply. I'll check them out.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Another thing, if she carries this gun or if it's the loaded house gun then she should use one set of mags to practice and another set to carry.

Put 200 rounds through the gun with each carry mag to make sure they work well, then load 'em up and stop using them.

Use other mags to practice, especially if they get dropped on the ground as a part of reloading.

When you've carried your defense ammo long enough and want to change to fresh ammo, take the carry mags out and shoot the old defense ammo out of them.

It takes a long time for handgun ammo to go bad, but I always replace mine with fresh ammo every 3 years.

My advice is to always have a spare loaded mag with you when carrying or for the home defense gun. Not that you are gonna shoot so many rounds, but if you have a big problem with the gun it usually is the magazine and you've got a ready replacement.

I'm sure others will chime in, but using the process of elimination you can figure out the problem, your XD should not jam more than one round in 1000 maximum.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice, thanks.

Yes, it's the loaded house gun. We were randomly using mags, but (coincidentally) just today separated range and home mags -- so we've got that one covered.

I'll compare mags (like you suggested earlier) and make sure -- hopefully -- that it's just a matter of limp-wristing. Then we'll be good to go, and it'll be back to the "range wars" between her (with XD45c) and me (with XD9sc).

And if history is any indicator, she'll continue to beat my ass. :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
the followers have not worn in yet.. you might want to look at the plastic follower itself, and remove and rough/sharp edges on the follower itself..

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
I'm looking at my new yet unfired 5" .45 and while the feed ramp (part of the barrel) looks OK and is factory polished, the throat below it is blue and looks kinda rough with pits.

Also when the slide is locked back, wiggle your barrel fore to aft and see how much space remains between the ramp and the throat. On mine I still see a gap with the barrel aft.

Don't know if the same thing exists with your XD or if it would affect the feeding with some hollow point bullet designs. Again, mine still unfired. Try some FMJ ammo. :) :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts