Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thumb safety and night sights. Anyone seen or have one? Want one, but can't find one in that configuration.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Get one with a thumb safety and then have the night sights of your choice installed. That's what I did :p There's a bunch of posts with pics that will let you see the different sights, so you can even see before you buy.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get one with a thumb safety and then have the night sights of your choice installed. That's what I did :p There's a bunch of posts with pics that will let you see the different sights, so you can even see before you buy.
That may be the best alternative. Sold my XD45 service for an FNP45 and like it a lot, but still want an XP in the above configuration. Who put your NS on? Last time I tried to do it myself, I ruined a brand new Sig P226 slide and it cost me $350.00 to replace the slide w/new NS. Sure cured me of any desire to do any gunsmithing.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
That may be the best alternative. Sold my XD45 service for an FNP45 and like it a lot, but still want an XP in the above configuration. Who put your NS on? Last time I tried to do it myself, I ruined a brand new Sig P226 slide and it cost me $350.00 to replace the slide w/new NS. Sure cured me of any desire to do any gunsmithing.
Why not just order it from one of the forum sponsors with the sights installed?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Why not just order it from one of the forum sponsors with the sights installed?
Because you need to send it to a local dealer, and at least here, in Bellevue WA the local dealers charge and arm and a leg for any gun you order externally and that they have in stock or can order.

When I got my Tactical Supergrade from Wilson Combat, I got nailed with a $400 fee (and never bought a gun from that dealer again).

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Because you need to send it to a local dealer, and at least here, in Bellevue WA the local dealers charge and arm and a leg for any gun you order externally and that they have in stock or can order.

When I got my Tactical Supergrade from Wilson Combat, I got nailed with a $400 fee (and never bought a gun from that dealer again).
Ouch!!!!

Have you looked at some of the gun auction sites that list local FFLs who may not be local dealers. I have a friend who has his FFL and only charges $20 to process the paper work.

GunsAmerica - Find An FFL Dealer - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

·
Premium Member
37 Posts

Quick question for you, do you know of any gunsmiths around the more western side of the sound that work on XDs? I have yet to find one around here that would be willing to put on a set of TFO's for me. I'd hate to send it in to Gilberts Guns, the forum sponsor, cause I swear there has to be at least ONE smith around here, any ideas?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Springer and Powder River are both in Oregon, and both site sponsors. You don't need to send the whole gun, just the slide to them, and that does not require any special paperwork, forms, or an FFL. Only shipping the frame makes that required. I've spoken with both Scott and Daniel and they've forgotten more about gunsmithing than I'll probably ever know.

Choice #3 is Springfield Armory's custom shop. They removed my factory sites and put on the XS Big Dots for less than I could buy the sights alone for. Shipping was about $8 each way from CA to IL. On the SA web site, under custom shop, is their pricelist.

Hope that helps. I would not mess with the XD sights expecially if they have the glass vials with tritium to glow, a 2# hammer and a brass drift barely moved them on my gun, and I was really swinging hard.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Springer and Powder River are both in Oregon, and both site sponsors. You don't need to send the whole gun, just the slide to them, and that does not require any special paperwork, forms, or an FFL. Only shipping the frame makes that required. I've spoken with both Scott and Daniel and they've forgotten more about gunsmithing than I'll probably ever know.

Choice #3 is Springfield Armory's custom shop. They removed my factory sites and put on the XS Big Dots for less than I could buy the sights alone for. Shipping was about $8 each way from CA to IL. On the SA web site, under custom shop, is their pricelist.

Hope that helps. I would not mess with the XD sights expecially if they have the glass vials with tritium to glow, a 2# hammer and a brass drift barely moved them on my gun, and I was really swinging hard.
That's my concern exactly, no way am I going to be doing my own smithing! I had forgotten that Springer and Powder River were in OR, thanks for the jolt in memory. I had looked at sending just the slide, looks like I know what I want for Christmas! :grin:

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
FWIW, Vickie, the lady service rep at Springfield Armory was very kind, sharp, and shipped to me $FREE$ a $35 buck LEFTY paddle holster. I only had to ask! South Paw.

With that kind of service, I bought $more$ stuff and just may ship MY XD 5" TS .45 back for possible nite sites and maybe oversize mag release buttons. HB of CJ :) :) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts