Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much says it all... I have a new XD45ACP Service pistol that I've put about 200 rounds through so far. At the range, I am spot-on at 7 yards, but I'm shooting left at 15.

I know about the recoil anticipation flinching, too much finger and yanking the trigger, but I'm not sure if it's that or not because of the 7 yards.

At 15 yards, I'm about 3 to 4 inches off center.

It's not a low shot, though at 25 yards I was a good 8 inches low, probably the crappy magtech ammunition.

Any insight on this?

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I would shoot it from a bench rest before I'd start changing grip/trigger finger adjustments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

(click for bigger photo)

Here is a photo of the target in question. This was at an indoor range, so there's no wind involved...

I'll say one thing for sure, if someone ever breaks into my apartment, their liver has had it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you might not have enough finger on your trigger. You should use the pad of your finger, exactly half way between the tip and your first knuckle squarely on the trigger.

Try this link http://is-lan.com/challenge/images/Pistol-Correction.pdf

It is a target you can use to try and get your groups tighter.

Very nice, thanks. Wonder if I could find some 12x12 paper to stick in the laser printer... hmm... office depot here I come

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would shoot it from a bench rest before I'd start changing grip/trigger finger adjustments.
XD9Sub has a really good suggestion. I would also get a second person to fire it. Preferably someone with a firm grasp on shooting basics. You might see if your range has an instructor that would be willing to shoot a couple of mags and give you his opinion.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
First guess is (as Maddy suggested) not enough finger on the trigger.

Second thought....are you right handed-left eye dominant?

PS your 7 yard shots are not "spot on".;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First guess is (as Maddy suggested) not enough finger on the trigger.

Second thought....are you right handed-left eye dominant?

PS your 7 yard shots are not "spot on".;)

Not spot on?! Shh, I had just had a cigarette and my hands were very shakey... :p

Gotta remember to not smoke before I get to the range... really hurts the aim.
Yes, I am right-handed and left-eye-dominant. I have been going through the forums here and picking up suggestions everywhere... like keeping both eyes fully open. I'm a pistol marksmanship newbie.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure where you are located but there are a lot of members here that would probably be willing to meet you at a range and show you the basics to shooting.

I know I am always up for a couple of hours at the range!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, in my case, it depends on the particular gun I am using where I put my finger on the trigger. With my XD .45 I use the first joint. With one of my mouse guns I use the pad...:|

·
Registered
120 Posts

(click for bigger photo)

Here is a photo of the target in question. This was at an indoor range, so there's no wind involved...

I'll say one thing for sure, if someone ever breaks into my apartment, their liver has had it.

Even at 7M, you've got more left than right. I'd guess your just pushing them all left, and the problem is just magnified.

Practice, practice, practice at tightening them up.

That gun will shoot ragged holes at 7M. Until you have a ragged hole 3 inches left, work on your trigger work.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update:

I took it to the range again today. I had the guy at the counter shoot a few rounds through it @ 7 yards. This gun is dead f***ing accurate... I was at fault.

I'm used to shooting rifles through iron sights and scopes and apparently it has a lot to do with my glasses and eyes.

Not to make any excuses, but I was focusing on the front sight and not the target... it's hard for my eyes to focus in this particular circumstance because the distance of the front sight from my eyes.

But, I found a workaround. If I hold the gun straight out with both arms evenly and fully extended, I was (though not very consistantly) able to group 3 rounds at a time @ 15 yards.

Wanna know how accurate it is (when I'm not shooting it)? The guy was able to put 5 rounds through the "5" on the top left of the target with only 2 bullet holes...and yeah, they met half-way... so it was really just 1 and a half holes.

To some that may not be impressive, but to me, it is.

After he shot it, he left and went back to the counter, but no one else was in the range, so I was able to experiment and take my time... I guess it really is just practice, practice, practice... I was expecting to be a natural like I am with a rifle... oh well...

Oh, and one more thing. The reason I was shooting to the left was fairly simple, but I had never really thought about it... and I'm starting to think it's common with this gun for one reason, the thick hand grip. When I squeeze the grip (because of the size), I noticed it would move slightly to the left, when I slowly released, it went back to center. It's the shape of the thing that's causing it... for me, anyhow.

But, I found if I keep a firm grip with my thumb and middle finger while keeping the ring and pinkie somewhat loose, it completely eliminated the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts