Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am finally tired of all the rumor and speculation, when dealing with this new find you always hear some one told me this or that. Well I now have 350rnds out of my XD45acp and so far it has run flawless. Please check this often becuase I have a bunch of information to put out and would like to have chapters. thats why the filler posts, I dont want others posts to interupt the review.

I am adding other sections in btween waiting for things to dry. I will add all of the weights, measurments parts compatability holsters etc.

For holsters the acp uses the same ones as your xd40. more to come.

Heres the new 45ACP with some of the family. Hardly any knoticable change in size. I lost count now but I think this is XD number 22 or 23.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First we are a bunch of Aholes. Since the 45gap xd`s have come out I have heard nothing but complaints. Lets take a look back at Glock. The Glock 17 was submitted for testing to the Austrian Army in 1982, but it was not until 1986 that the Glock was accepted for US importation. It was not until 1990 that Glock finally released the 20 and 21. So basically it took 8 years for Glock to finally release a larger sized pistol that could accept the 45acp. Yet from the beginning all I have heard was moaning and a bunch of question why something or another could not be done. Well the first HS2000`s were produced in 1999 and released in 2000. And Springfield Armory took over importation right around the end of 2001. So in 4.....OK lets even say 5 yrs the Croatian engineers have been able to release pistols in 5 different calibres, in 4 different sizes, with 3 different coloring options available. That's over 60 different models not including the custom versions. Yet still even as of this week when this new model was coming out you still hear bitching and moaning.
When is the tactical coming out.
Why did they have to change the design.
I still hat the gap.
Why not a 10mm
What about a subcompact.
these cost more etc etc etc.

Hey how about be happy for the pistol, the Croatians and Springfield Armory. Everyone compares the Xd to the Glock, so by Glocks standards we are 3yrs ahead of them and even more in other areas. Springfield Armory has done something vary risky and most individuals don't even know it. Right now SA has their ass on the line because they have broken from how the gun industry as a whole releases products and what is the norm. Normally and what has been the case in the past a company will secretly develop a product. Then around the Shot Show the company will send out a few samples of the new product to some writers to get some reviews in. Then at the Shot Show the product is openly released to all of the dealers, and more of the writers receive the product. Now all of this time the gun magazines have or about to run ads on the new product. Then typically after judging the demand about a year later the product finally gets to the distributors and dealers. Think about the Smith & Wesson M&P over six months now and the hype is there but nothing to show for it. And Glock a year in the wait for that secret new product. Basically SA has secretly helped develop and import these new 45acp`s in to the country. Then with great timing released the new actual pistols about a week after the first printed ad. and not to the magazines but to the actual dealers and now to the actual public. All this before even waiting for this years Shot Show. So I think we need to cut SA some slack obviously they have listened to us even if we think they don't.......Think about that.

Here is a picture of the letter Springfield Armory sent to the dealers who received the new XD45ACP (the name has been covered up so everyone does not bother the person). From this letter you will see this was a limited release and for those of you who don't know this pistol was sent to most of the dealers for free without them having to ask for them this was a shock to most people that I have talked to. The letter also states that the full release to distributors and dealers will be in in the first week of Jan 2006.

These guns that have been released have been called "prototypes" this is false. Strait from the Springfield letter it lets us know these are the first production run pistols not prototypes. This lets us now that the pistol is basically finalized. Some have claimed that the pistol when released will change from these "prototypes", which from the letter you know is false.

Some have claimed that the OD green frames will be discontinued.....this is false. The new 45acp`s will be released in od green. If SA or the Croatians were going to discontinue the od green, then why make the new larger frame in od green and waist time molding them instead of making black ones. It just does not make practical sense.

The "Made in" Stamp
Springfield if you are reading this I like it and I know others will as well. SA stopped stamping the XD as made in Croatia and now that more and more people are buying this pistol it was all but lost that this was made in Croatia. I like on this new version the made in Croatia stamp is back but is now on the frame where the importers mark goes. In the picture The new 45acp is on top the bottom was an older style xd.

The sights
I wish i could say the sights were any easier to replace. I took the stock sights off to replace them with a nice tritium night sight set. The stock sights still required the same amount of effort to remove as all the older version xd`s. And the same as before to properly mount the new sights you should fit the new sights to the dovetail. I still recommend to just about anyone have a professional or someone who knows what they are doing remove and install new sights on the XD series. The dovetails and sights are the same thing we have always had, a 3 dot steel sight set with a standard SiG Sauer dovetail. The Stock sights that came on the service 45acpXD is a "G" series rear or the Sig #8 rear sight equivalent . What this means is that the proper height replacement would be the Sig #8 front and #8 rear. With the 8/8 combination you should not have any point of impact change with aftermarket sights.

Holsters & mag pouches
The XD45acp will fit all of the holsters designed for the xd40. So Springfield Armory hits a home run here where other companies make an acp pistol so big it requiers all new equipment SA let you keep what you got. One exception and its a maybe, if you have a holster with a tight back or thumb strap. I tried it on several holsters with thumb straps and the XDacp will work but there wont be much slack. The magazine are different and will not work with Berreta and sig 9mm/40sw double stack mag pouches we have been using. The larger size will require a mag pouch that fits the H&K 45 and S&W99 45 magazines.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Slide length.
The New 45ACP is about 4mm longer than the small framed xd and hs2000`s. And yes if you look at the front bottom of the ACP slide it is not a photoshop trick. The area where the guide rod goes is shorter from front to back than the small framed service.

While we are talking about that area and guide rods I have some bad news. The new XD45acp has a larger diameter guide rod. The washers for the Don`s Guide Rods will fall all the way through the hole. The hole in the slide of the ACP has a diameter of 0.453", dons washer has a diameter of 0.452". So the washer is a thousands too small plus we would need a larger head for the rod it self. Basically we are stuck for right now with the stock larger diameter guide rod assembly. Here are the measurements of the service model slides and guide rods. Don these numbers are really for you especially if you look at my rear guide rod head on the larger new assembly. The head is not movable yet but you can tell that there is a gap and it just looks like it wants to screw off.

Also while I am at it, you will not be able to safely put any other slide on the 45acp frame or vice versa. The extra 4mm makes it either to far forward or backward I will show you what I mean later. And the stock barrels now wont even lock up in the longer slide.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You all wanted to know sizes Here you go. All of the pistols are to scale

You can post these at other websites if you want to.

Here the XDACP is shown over the Glock 21 which is the largest framed Glock. Both the Glock 21 and 20 are the same size and are 45acp and 10mm respectively.

Here is the xd-45ACP (red) shown over a Glock 22 40sw. This is a medium frame Glock. I chose the 22 because it is the most popular law enforcement pistol in America today. As you can see for the most part the XD is taller but in the grip is still smaller which is impressive when comparing a 45acp to a 40sw frame.

Here is an XD-40 in red shown over the larger XD45acp. Both pistols are to scale and are aligned at both the front of the grip and the bottom of the Magazine base pads.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
nickc50310 said:
so wait a second here.......

You have an XD 45 ACP already??

What time was I supposed to be there for Christmas dinner again??
Are you living in a cave, nick?... :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you shot any +P in it yet? If so, how does it handle? Can you measure and give us some specs too?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Not that you need reminding ajamesp51, but lots of side by side pictures of the 45ACP parts laid next to there original XD-9 and XD-40 parts would be very nice.

Later
mcb

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Thanx for the reports James. Clarifies a lot
of speculation.

Another machine that you can add to your collection.
It must be great to be well known, rich and
handsome! :p

Ed

·
Registered
459 Posts
OMG, I am in love all over again, especially after going to SA'a website. I was thinking of making my next purchase a long gun but this is friggin awesome. I mean a 45 that holds 14. Time to get on my knees and start begging the wifey. Does anyone have an approximate price on this yet. Looks like my kid may have to wear the same clothes for a while. J/K

Lonely in love
Tombo

·
Registered
275 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
First we are a bunch of Aholes. Since the 45gap xd`s have come out I have heard nothing but complaints. Lets take a look back at Glock. The Glock 17 was submitted for testing to the Austrian Army in 1982, but it was not until 1986 that the Glock was accepted for US importation. It was not until 1990 that Glock finally released the 20 and 21. So basically it took 8 years for Glock to finally release a larger sized pistol that could accept the 45acp. Yet from the beginning all I have heard was moaning and a bunch of question why something or another could not be done. Well the first HS2000`s were produced in 1999 and released in 2000. And Springfield Armory took over importation right around the end of 2001. So in 4.....OK lets even say 5 yrs the Croatian engineers have been able to release pistols in 5 different calibres, in 4 different sizes, with 3 different coloring options available. That's over 60 different models not including the custom versions. Yet still even as of this week when this new model was coming out you still hear bitching and moaning.
Here here! This is as far as I've read so far of your post and you are spot on.

I'm more than tired of all the whining about why "X" company doesn't do this or that. These complainers think they can do better? Put down the $$$ and start your own firm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you think the chamber is supported enough. I'm concerned that to meet the pressure to put out a 0.45 XD the Croats have just reamed out the XD9. The size of it sounds too good to be true. I'd like to see some overpressure test results. Can you try to blow it up? :p

1 - 20 of 74 Posts