Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Failure to feed in my mind is a bullet being improperly guided up the feed ramp and binding between the slide and barrel.

I had a different kind of problem using cheap MAGTECH .45 ACP FMJ 230gr. bullets today.

I fired 4 shots from a fully loaded clip and the slide locked open -- not jammed, it's like the magazine didn't push the bullet up far enough and it thought it was empty.

I keep all of my 45ACP 13rd clips fully loaded at all times... could this have depressed the spring so much that it has lost the power to properly feed?

I've used the ammo before, this time it FTF'd 3 or 4 times... the previous time, 0 -- but the gun (and magazine) was brand new at the time.

I'm pretty worried about it because this is my primary carry weapon. I'm thinking about ordering AGP Arm's XD45 extra power springs.

Any insight?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Leaving the mags full won't hurt them. What kind of ammo where you shooting, what was the bullet type and weight? If you are right handed and if you were using the thumbs forward grip you might cause the slide to lock open because your thumb is engaging the slide lock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaving the mags full won't hurt them. What kind of ammo where you shooting, what was the bullet type and weight? If you are right handed and if you were using the thumbs forward grip you might cause the slide to lock open because your thumb is engaging the slide lock.
I posted the ammo already, "Magtech .45 ACP 230gr." but you may be right, I could have accidentally pushed upwards on the slide lock... sucks having big hands... I need to find a new way to hold this thing.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Was the bullet a FMJ flat point, round nose, JHP?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the bullet a FMJ flat point, round nose, JHP?

FMJ.

When I first bought the magazine (it's an "XD Gear" supposedly OEM) from the local gun shop, I took it home and gave the inside a nice "barely there" coating of RemOil -- the case and spring both.

When I took it apart just now to see if the spring had weakened, I could have sworn I pulled the spring out backwards from what it was supposed to be. I verified the spring orientation before putting it in and it seems to have a different feel to it now--no slight forward dip. Guess I should have paid more attention when I was putting it together last.

So it was either the spring or the big hands ... guess there's only one way to find out, huh? Back to the range I go.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If it was a weak spring your gun wouldn't lock open. The follower is what makes the slide lock open when you're out of rounds. Look at your mag, notice the notch on the left side on the mag at the front where the bullet sits on the case. When you push the follower down the notice how the part of the follower that is in that area goes down. That part of the follower is what makes the slide lock open. It pushes the slide lock up. With the slide off and an empty mag in the gun notice how there is a little post on the slide lock that extends a bit towards the mag, notice how the follower is pushing the slide release up via that post. Push the follower down notice how the slide release goes down.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
First of all, I've shot magtech. Never had one problem.

Second. Never... Never... Never oil your mags.... Go get some break cleaner or CLP Powder Blaster or something and get rid of it. All it does is attract dirt. They are supposed to run with no oil. That is trouble.

Third. Sounds like you maybe put the spring in the wrong way. Easy mistake. I like to disassemble one and leave it in the orientation so when I take the other ones apart I don't flip the spring around.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
First of all, I've shot magtech. Never had one problem.

Second. Never... Never... Never oil your mags.... Go get some break cleaner or CLP Powder Blaster or something and get rid of it. All it does is attract dirt. They are supposed to run with no oil. That is trouble.

Third. Sounds like you maybe put the spring in the wrong way. Easy mistake. I like to disassemble one and leave it in the orientation so when I take the other ones apart I don't flip the spring around.
What he said...same post I was going to make :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand what you mean by the oil, but I sprayed the mag and completely wiped it off. I did it mainly for cleaning and moisture protection, not lubrication. Honestly, if you opened the magazine, you would never know it was done--it was perfectly clean (and dustfree) when I removed the spring last night.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I run nothing but Magtec through all my 45s, never had a feed prob in the XDs nor my 1911 once it got broke-in.
You were probobly touching the slide lock lever, a very common problem and I have done it too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was messing with the gun last night trying to find the most stable, comfortable and uncrowded grip to shoot with... I think I found one, but it involves me wrapping my left index finger around the front of the trigger guard. It's more comfortable than how I was holding it before and now there is no finger near the slide or slide lock.

This allows me to hold my little 2AA Maglight between my index and ring finger anyhow, which will be needed if I have to use it anyway--because I'm most likely going to use it at night if someone breaks in to my apartment.

Hmm, I could take a picture if that would be helpful?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts