Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The pins from PRP arrived today. WOW! I now understand why nobody has a broken one after installing one of these. I pulled the old one out, and while I was at it, I cleaned the striker channel and polished the striker. Now everything is shiny clean inside and out, and industrially strong. A trigger kit is next on the want list so I can get the trigger reset shortened up. Nothing else left to upgrade, life's good. :D

· Registered
3,699 Posts
The PRP trigger shoe does not have grooves like the factory shoe.

I installed the drop-in kit in the XDm. It definitely removed the trigger shoe pre and reset travel.

I’ll shoot it today with factory guide rod and spring then install ss guide rod and 22# Wolff spring to see if I feel a difference.

View attachment 875077

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Automotive exterior Shotgun

I’m scratching my head where this retaining clip came from. It dropped out when I took the 2 pins holding the trigger block. It’s called the Locking Block / Trigger Pin Detent Spring. Does it go in the pin or a groove inside hole where the pin slides in?

Font Material property Publication Eyelash Circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gunsmoke92

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah, I'd appreciate a range report. I've already made up my mind about installing one in the 45, but while shopping PRP, I found a flat trigger. It's listed under the XDM section but says it will work in the XD45's too. Like their other upgrade trigger shoes, this one has to be installed with their kit parts.

· Premium Member
1,209 Posts
While the XDM's all say 'Match' on the barrels, I don't think they are a lot better than an XD 'standard' barrel. The M does stand for more parts. which does allow for 'field strip' disassembly without a trigger pull. (a big deal to some departments) also, the M magazines hold 3 or 4 more rounds than an XD magazine.

· Registered
3,699 Posts
The XD shot nicely, I liked the upgraded trigger and reduced pull length. My shooting has gotten poor over the past years- so no great target shots. I’m going back to basics with stance, grip, trigger finger and drills.

The ss guide rod and 22# spring- I frankly did not feel much difference shooting 170 grain target loads. No real comment on tighter lockup since my groups just aren’t that tight. I weighed the solid ss guide rod at 1.9 oz, the factory one at 0.77 oz.

Maybe I will feel less recoil with 220 Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game- but I don’t want to burn expensive ammo while I’m getting back to basics. I don’t think the 10mm has bad recoil- compared to shooting a 454 Casul at least.

I’m interested how you’ll adjust the travel on an aluminum trigger shoe. My plastic shoe needed maybe 1/8” removed so the gun would fire.

I did not find a YouTube video ‘how-to’ so I drew a pencil line around the end, and sanded it on top of a wood block and 100 grit sandpaper moving the trigger shoe back and forth. Once the line was removed on all sides, I reassembled and did a test dry fire. If too long, disassemble remove trigger and repeat. I think I did it 4 times until the sear would release. I put a piece of duct tape behind to check my clearance and it would not fire- so I know it’s fit pretty well.

I don’t know how you’d easily remove that much aluminum. A medium file would work I guess.

· Registered
3,699 Posts
To answer my own question, that is a spring clip that holds one of the two locking block pins in place. It fits in a groove inside of the locking block pin holes on the right side of the frame.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just out of curiosity, did that clip come out of the gun or was it part of the kit? I did a complete disassembly of my XD the other day for a deep clean and to insure I know the gun inside and out, and don't remember seeing one of those. I did see the trigger spring, sear spring, and the spring which retains the takedown lever and seems to lock one of the locking block pins in place, but not that one.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Curiosity killed the cat; I couldn't resist so I pulled the locking block just to verify I hadn't screwed anything up. No clip in mine nor a place for it to go. I can breath now. ;) Then I went back and noticed yours is an XDm. Yep I have the attention span of a gnat.

· Registered
3,699 Posts
It came off when I was removing the block pins with a punch- not part of the PRP kit. Daniel told me what it was and it goes on the right side. I asked if he sold them.

I only have 1- maybe the other is somewhere on the table. I don’t think those pins will move in normal usage without the clip.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, I took the plunge today and ordered up an Easy fit trigger kit from PRP for the XD45. I love this gun, but the reset is so long I have to do something, and I think this is it. I thought about trying their flat aluminum trigger, but I think the smooth poly trigger will be fine.

· Registered
2,490 Posts
The XD shot nicely, I liked the upgraded trigger and reduced pull length. My shooting has gotten poor over the past years- so no great target shots. I’m going back to basics with stance, grip, trigger finger and drills.

The ss guide rod and 22# spring- I frankly did not feel much difference shooting 170 grain target loads. No real comment on tighter lockup since my groups just aren’t that tight. I weighed the solid ss guide rod at 1.9 oz, the factory one at 0.77 oz.

Maybe I will feel less recoil with 220 Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game- but I don’t want to burn expensive ammo while I’m getting back to basics. I don’t think the 10mm has bad recoil- compared to shooting a 454 Casul at least.

I’m interested how you’ll adjust the travel on an aluminum trigger shoe. My plastic shoe needed maybe 1/8” removed so the gun would fire.

I did not find a YouTube video ‘how-to’ so I drew a pencil line around the end, and sanded it on top of a wood block and 100 grit sandpaper moving the trigger shoe back and forth. Once the line was removed on all sides, I reassembled and did a test dry fire. If too long, disassemble remove trigger and repeat. I think I did it 4 times until the sear would release. I put a piece of duct tape behind to check my clearance and it would not fire- so I know it’s fit pretty well.

I don’t know how you’d easily remove that much aluminum. A medium file would work I guess.

You may want to take just a little more off to compensate for temperature fluctuations. Could throw it in the freezer for an hour and just check it to be sure.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I spoke with Powder River today about their aluminum flat trigger. It's not designed to work with the OEM safety lever, so it's an upgrade for their kit. The one thing I found out was that unlike the polymer one that needs some fitting, the aluminum flat trigger is prefit, no filing needed. Since I had already purchased the trigger kit, they gave me a discount and will have it on the way tomorrow. That's great customer service. If it does what I'm looking for, I'll duplicate it in my M 10mm.

· Registered
3,699 Posts
You may want to take just a little more off to compensate for temperature fluctuations. Could throw it in the freezer for an hour and just check it to be sure.
Or wait for another -20 day here in Montana. Good idea.

· Registered
3,699 Posts
Anybody have use for my XDm’s factory sights and trigger shoe? I think they’ll sit in a baggie in my parts box until one day my son gets to clean out my gun stuff asking himself why I kept them.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Got the PRP trigger kit this morning and have it installed this afternoon. I wish I had taken pictures of the trigger pull before installation, but here's a couple after. They're not the clearest, but you get the point. Here it is at the point it fires.

Trigger Gun accessory Wood Air gun Bumper

Here it is at the point it resets.

Wood Auto part Shotgun Gun accessory Air gun

The trigger pull is lighter than before thanks to the new springs. The break is clean, and where most striker fired guns seem to have some pre-travel to a wall, then the break, this one now rolls through the pull and breaks. There is no stagging this trigger, it's purely the pull to break the shot. Reset is very tactile, providing both physical and audible feedback. I have one of Powder Rivers Flat trigger shoes coming, but since it wasn't here just yet, I installed the ploy trigger that came in the kit. Once the flat trigger is here, I'll get it installed and we'll see where she sets then.

This evening I decided to check the trigger pull weight. My antique pull scale reliably gave me 4#'s for 10 pulls in a row. I think that's as good as I've ever seen.

I will say the poly trigger is more comfortable than the steel ridged OEM.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts