Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if there is a big difference concealing the 45 compact compared to the 4 inch 45. I know the only difference is the grip length.

Thanks

Tony P.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes,

The longer grip on the Service model is a bit harder to conceal, it has a tendancy to print with the end of the grip. The compact solves this by making the grip shorter...and thus less likely to print.

However, there are people out there that can conceal just about anything.

Much of it depends on your size, weight, and build.

Im 6'3" 185lbs...I cant conceal the service under a t-shirt unless perhaps I ran it small of the back or something.
I can however conceal the compact under a t-shirt with no problems.

You really need to go get your hands on both of them and try out some concealment options to find what works for you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would think that it depends on several variables ... Person's height, weight and waist size. The holster you are carrying as well as the belt and the article of clothing you are covering all of that with ...

With that said ..

I am 6 foot even, about 230 lbs with a 38in waist and I carry in a Milt Sparks VM2 holster with a Wilderness Tactical belt (5 stitch re-inforced). And I have been able to cover that with a loose T-shirt and been able to walk around without printing ..

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am 6'-0" 215lbs and can conceal the full length grip(XD45 or XDM9) under an XL untucked button-down shirt(or large/looser cover garment), without any noticable printing. However I cannot conceal it under a t-shirt alone. It prints too much. My holsters are a CBST and an owb AHolster belt slide type with a Wilderness 5-stitch Instructor belt. Both are good with the untucked button-down.

It really depends a lot on how you dress. I will say if you like to keep your pistol holsterd while driving(I do) the longer grip will poke & push more as it's jammed against the seat back more than a short grip.

IMO the 45 compact is the best option for a mostly dedicated carry weapon. The longer 13rnd mag with extension is great for a back-up mag or for range duty. I would say if you plan to compete IDPA or USPSA or something like that with the carry 45 then maybe get the full length grip so you won't get pinched on mag changes. It really doesn't happen that much, but as many mag changes are reqd in competition you will get the pinch from a XD45c in a match.

In short, I say get the 45c if you not using it for competition.

IM selling an XDm40c in order to go back to an XD45c. I've had 3 45c's and am a dumba$$ for selling any of them. I won't make that mistake again.:oops:

·
Registered
189 Posts
The short answer is YES. I purchased the service model and I carried it until I found that I could chop the grip and it was the best thing I did to improve my XD. The compact grip was a lot more concealable. I gues to each his own, but I love the compact grip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy for the heads up. I will have to take a look at the compact to go with my service model.

Tony P.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you carry the XD service in a good holster that is designed to pull the grip into the body you won't have any trouble with printing. Im somewhat of a big guy and could conceal the Tactical model no problem. I like kydex holsters for poly framed guns.
Kydex kind of matches the frame and gives a modern look to toting a pistol.
Many good kydex holsters like NTAC and Armodillo are custom made for that particular gun and they fit to a tee ! They hug the body curve and keep the gun close to the body.
They are also easier to take care of and the way they are made now, they do not cause finish wear on the gun. Early remnants did, but the better companies have overcome this problem. You also don't have to worry about moisture and humidity and they are much easier to reholster. They are much thinner than leather or nylon, usually within 0.60 to 0.90 of an inch. This also helps with it's non-printing quality.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes,

The longer grip on the Service model is a bit harder to conceal, it has a tendancy to print with the end of the grip. The compact solves this by making the grip shorter...and thus less likely to print.

However, there are people out there that can conceal just about anything.

Much of it depends on your size, weight, and build.

You really need to go get your hands on both of them and try out some concealment options to find what works for you.

Give this man the best answer award. The XD compact fits great but the longer grip of the service model prints easily on me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I carry a Colt light weight commander with no issues in an Aker 168a...A friend gave me his XD45 service model in Dark Earth with a boat load of mags...reason..."Tony I'm getting old and it is time to start handing some of my guns to you".

The first time shooting this gun at ten yards I have 3 rounds in a quarter size hole with the stock trigger. I ordered up a new trigger and night sights for it. I started to shoot this gun more so I can put the old commander in the safe.

I got an Aker 168a for this gun and a double mag pouch and a single mag pouch. Love Aker leather have been using them over 26 years now.

Now I want to get the compact version for concealment.....

Bill is a hell of a friend....

Tony P.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am 5'11" 250 pounds, 42 waist, I can conceal the XD 45 no problem, I carry apendix, and I use a remora holster, but I do have to carry it deep, just enough room to get my hand on the grip, I wear my shirt tucked also.
I have to carry a full size because my hands are to big for the compact, story of my life, short legs, short fingers, but big torso, big hands, you just need to find what fits you the best.
Terry

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I'm 5' 10", 185 and carry a Service XD45.

You'd be surprised what the Sheeple don't see.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Bottom line is the XD 45 C does conceal better. Much better. So do the magazines if you carry an extra.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bottom line is the XD 45 C does conceal better. Much better. So do the magazines if you carry an extra.
This 2^. plus you still have a 13 round mag for full size grip.

·
50 Posts
I've been scouring springfields website looking at the different compact models for this very reason. I'd love to find a xd 45 compact that had the thumb safety on it, but I don't think they make one. I don't know if the thumb safety is a consideration in your decision, but I don't think they make one in a compact model. I wish they did. I'd feel better about a carry gun that had the safety but that's just me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't worried about the thumb safety at all. Using glocks after I melted down the grip to more of a 1911 angle the thumb safety doesn't bother me. I can tell you this I still "take off" the thumb safety from so many years of carrying a 1911.

Tony P.

·
50 Posts
The first handgun I ever bought was a 1911 so the safety is a natural thing for me also. I'm looking hard for a xd 45 compact with the thumb safety, but I don't think I'm going to find one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The first handgun I ever bought was a 1911 so the safety is a natural thing for me also. I'm looking hard for a xd 45 compact with the thumb safety, but I don't think I'm going to find one.
You won't find one. Only way is to grip chop a Service model.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The grip length on the std XD is quite long, diff to conceal. I would certainly go XDC for a carry gun. I love my XDTAC, makes me think I "need" a XDC for carry, but my 1911PD does a great job at that. Train w/ a thumb safety & it doesn't matter what else you shoot. The exception are the DA/SA Sigs, S&W & Beretta. They require a more dedicated approach to keep all the bells & whistles straight under stress.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts