Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay shame on me I know I have seen this before but can’t find it now.
I bought my beloved XD45 back just as the compact came out. Since it wasn’t available and I was anxious to get it I bought the tactical. Doesn’t someone offer a service to cut the grip down to work like the factory version with the 10 round flush fitting mags and the 13 round extended mags that have the handle wrapped around it so it feels like the full size grip.
Am I making sense? Basically I want my 4” XD45 to have the shorter handle to conceal carry and the full size grip (and capacity) when at the range.
Thanks! I’ll go punch my own face now for failing at the search function!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
You could do it yourself with the write-up sticky'd around here somewhere. ;) :D

(Yes, I know you axed about having someone else do it...)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Why butcher a perfectly good firearm?

I suggest buying a compact or trading yours for a compact.

By the way, you wrote that you "bought the tactical" then you wrote "my 4” XD45."

The 4" is the "service" model. The "tactical" is the 5" model.

The Compact comes in both 4" or 5".

Okay shame on me I know I have seen this before but can’t find it now.
I bought my beloved XD45 back just as the compact came out. Since it wasn’t available and I was anxious to get it I bought the tactical. Doesn’t someone offer a service to cut the grip down to work like the factory version with the 10 round flush fitting mags and the 13 round extended mags that have the handle wrapped around it so it feels like the full size grip.
Am I making sense? Basically I want my 4” XD45 to have the shorter handle to conceal carry and the full size grip (and capacity) when at the range.
Thanks! I’ll go punch my own face now for failing at the search function!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Sorry, got my models mixed up, it is the Service.

It's not butchering if it's professionally done, I'm not sure how it would come out much different from the factory version. I have a Mossberg 930SPX that I drilled into the sides of the handguard to securely mount a light pressure switch and I didn't feel bad doing it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a full sized 5" Tactical and I am thinking about having my grip cut down also. That is the part that makes it hard to conceal. The longer barrel/slide is not the problem. The sleeved magazines easily return the grip to full size.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a full sized 5" Tactical and I am thinking about having my grip cut down also. That is the part that makes it hard to conceal. The longer barrel/slide is not the problem. The sleeved magazines easily return the grip to full size.
Exactly! That's why the XDM 3.8 with full size grip made no sense at all. I can conceal a 10" barrel if I had to because it runs the length of my leg, it's the giant freaking handle that sticks out my back because I have a 32" waist and can't hide the thing front to back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have both the tactical and the compact .45s . In switching the slide/frame combos i have to say that the tactical slide on the compact frame feels and looks a bit goofy . That combo shoots fine but handles odd transitioning between targets . I am sure that with practice it would be alright but i do prefer the 4" upper on the compact frame for carry . In fact i like the compact 4" better than the " service " length frame with the 4" upper . Something about the ergonomics of the compact model is " just right " for a carry gun for me . The " Tactical Compact " formfactor for some reason i over-muscle on transitions and have to slow down negating the sight radius advantage . YMMV tho so all i can say is what i have seen with my pistols and say " try before you buy " on a cut down of either top end .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts